1 1
brenthutch

Just a reminder

1 hour ago, CygnusX-1 said:

I wonder how many sales the huge push in Q2 stole from Q3 when Q3 numbers increased over Q2?

Waiting to hear how the Tesla shorts spin this.  "Well . . .uh . . . sure it's an increase and a new record but it was ONLY 96155 cars!  Not even 100,000!  Musk is a FAILURE!"

On 10/5/2019 at 1:14 PM, billvon said:

Waiting to hear how the Tesla shorts spin this.  "Well . . .uh . . . sure it's an increase and a new record but it was ONLY 96155 cars!  Not even 100,000!  Musk is a FAILURE!"

With record sales like that, I am dreading the earning report that will be coming out later today.  I will be the one eating crow when Elon Musk reveals his massive profits.  Looks like I was wrong about Tesla 

11 hours ago, brenthutch said:

With record sales like that, I am dreading the earning report that will be coming out later today.  I will be the one eating crow when Elon Musk reveals his massive profits.  Looks like I was wrong about Tesla 

TSLA up 20% after market, following quarterly earnings results.

15 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

majority of which driven by short-sellers. But, Tesla reported a profit.

They also reported gross margins of 20%, an increase from previous quarters, despite the mix including more cheaper car sales.   The Y model will cost about the same as the 3 to produce, and have a higher ASP.

My Ford stock is down 7% today, mostly driven by long holders.

19 minutes ago, headoverheels said:

They also reported gross margins of 20%, an increase from previous quarters, despite the mix including more cheaper car sales.   The Y model will cost about the same as the 3 to produce, and have a higher ASP.

My Ford stock is down 7% today, mostly driven by long holders.

I agree.

20 hours ago, headoverheels said:

TSLA up 20% after market, following quarterly earnings results.

I hope Elon keeps the pace, or even improves on it.  I really hope we escalate the tech along side computer advancement.  

What is the metric? An order of Magnitude every 10 years or something like that?

4 hours ago, ryoder said:

Funny thing;

Last night PBS Nova premiered an episode on the current state of self driving cars.

Two notable players refused to participate: Tesla and Uber.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/video/look-whos-driving/

Well, I'm going to guess that the fact that both are facing lawsuits from the crashes mentioned in the episode has a lot to do with that choice.

I found it interesting that Nova conveniently failed to mention that the woman killed by the Uber car was jaywalking.

They did mention that the Tesla cars were operating their 'auto pilot' in an environment that is specifically prohibited by the instructions.

4 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

I hope Elon keeps the pace, or even improves on it.  I really hope we escalate the tech along side computer advancement.  

What is the metric? An order of Magnitude every 10 years or something like that?

Moores law was along the lines of a doubling every two or so years. It's not really true any more due to the fact that chip technology is starting to run into physical constraints at a molecular level.

That said, if quantum computing gets going then we will see some BIG jumps.

13 minutes ago, Stumpy said:

Moores law was along the lines of a doubling every two or so years. It's not really true any more due to the fact that chip technology is starting to run into physical constraints at a molecular level.

Thanks, I googled "Computer innovation metric" and "Processor advancement metric" but came up empty.

4 hours ago, Stumpy said:

Quantum leaps?

(edited)
6 hours ago, kallend said:

Quantum leaps are the smallest possible leaps allowed by the laws of physics.

Good googaloo Professor Spock, it was a play on the word for no purpose other than a quantum bit of amusement. Quantum can also mean an amount or even large as in "quantum improvement." 

Edited by JoeWeber
To remove religious content

38 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Jesus, Mary and Joseph Professor Spock, it was a play on the word for no purpose other than a quantum bit of amusement. Quantum can also mean an amount or even large as in "quantum improvement." 

Please - explain to a physicist, the clarification of quantum again.  Its fun.

It could also be the name of a TV show - 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_Leap

i'm posting in here because I recently decided my next car will be a Model 3. The AWD version. I'm still a few years from a new car, so I'm not going all brenthutch and setting some prediction in stone, but the Model 3 sure does appeal to me right now.

1. I use my car for commuting like 99.99 percent of the time. An electric means I never have to "fill up" at a service station. I hate doing that in the winter.

2. In winter, the dual motor AWD on the Model 3 is very capable. Better than my subie.

3. The auto-steer / auto-pilot will make the commute drive less tedious. Until it lulls me to a false sense of security and drives the car into an abutment.

4. the electric drivetrain gives the car a feeling that it has more than the 346 eqv. HP it is rated for, so it will feel plenty zippy.

I really hope mr hutch's pessimism is misplaced. Now we both have made predictions of a sort for the next few years,  and we will have to wait and see what the future holds... 

40 minutes ago, SethInMI said:

i'm posting in here because I recently decided my next car will be a Model 3. The AWD version. I'm still a few years from a new car, so I'm not going all brenthutch and setting some prediction in stone, but the Model 3 sure does appeal to me right now.

1. I use my car for commuting like 99.99 percent of the time. An electric means I never have to "fill up" at a service station. I hate doing that in the winter.

2. In winter, the dual motor AWD on the Model 3 is very capable. Better than my subie.

3. The auto-steer / auto-pilot will make the commute drive less tedious. Until it lulls me to a false sense of security and drives the car into an abutment.

4. the electric drivetrain gives the car a feeling that it has more than the 346 eqv. HP it is rated for, so it will feel plenty zippy.

I really hope mr hutch's pessimism is misplaced. Now we both have made predictions of a sort for the next few years,  and we will have to wait and see what the future holds... 

I hope you are as successful as Elon Musk is in your endeavor.

2 hours ago, SethInMI said:

You might also wait and see if the model Y will be a better fit.  (coming this summer.)