1 1
brenthutch

Just a reminder

6 hours ago, headoverheels said:

Mine didn't need updating.

Mine does apparently.  To the tune of about £3,500.  Sad face - what do they say, "Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious?"  An electric vehicle though probably wouldn't start pissing coolant everywhere...

On 8/8/2019 at 12:49 PM, CygnusX-1 said:

If a Tesla can convince a historically gear-headed/gas person like Jay Leno, the rest of the auto industry better be very scared.

Having watched a bunch of Jay's videos on Youtube, I am not surprised by this. Jay has a vast collection of vehicles, from every era of auto history including early electric and steam powered cars and turbine powered cars. He strikes me as someone who can appreciate and even be excited about the evolution of the car and not tied to any particular technology.

So I don't think that his acceptance of electric vehicles means most people are going to be hopping on board soon. The vast majority of people will be won over by one thing, cost.  TCO has to be equal to or better than ICE.

1 hour ago, SethInMI said:

So I don't think that his acceptance of electric vehicles means most people are going to be hopping on board soon. The vast majority of people will be won over by one thing, cost. 

Cost, convenience, and familiarity. All these factors need to improve first. All are currently happening, but slowly. 

6 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Cost, convenience, and familiarity. All these factors need to improve first. All are currently happening, but slowly. 

It's been slow so far because the vehicles have been somewhat niche. Thats going to change quite significantly I reckon in the next 2-3 years from the numbers of cars I see nearing release.

And interestingly, electric cars are now outperforming gas cars in a number of competitive environments.

We are a few months into a new 3 year arrangement on a car. I suspect our next one won't have a fuel tank.

52 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

“Model S registrations were down 54% in California during Q2, according to Dominion Cross-Sell. Model X sales were down 40%. California is by far Tesla’s largest market, accounting for 40% of total Model S sales in 2018.”

That's interesting. What were Model 3 registrations? Oh wait, here it is: "Model 3 registrations in that state doubled last quarter." Then the author tries to spin that into a negative. Nothing to see here folks. It is just another way to try and incentivize the higher priced vehicles. In the real world, it doesn't cost Tesla that much to offer free supercharging because most people who buy an new S or X will also put in home chargers.

The margins on the model 3 are to small to sustain Tesla and are cannibalizing sales of the higher margin S and X, in the same way Tesla’s huge sales push in Q2 just pulled sales from Q3 and Q4.

(it doesn’t help that a model 3 on auto-pilot just plowed into the back of a truck and exploded)

10 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

The margins on the model 3 are to small to sustain Tesla and are cannibalizing sales of the higher margin S and X, in the same way Tesla’s huge sales push in Q2 just pulled sales from Q3 and Q4.

(it doesn’t help that a model 3 on auto-pilot just plowed into the back of a truck and exploded)

Some good American auto history for your consideration.

You could use some research.

It's oddly interesting how much you want an auto company to fail

10 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

So let's see.  Starting in 2008 - 

• Tesla is a joke company.  They produce - what? a few hundred convertibles?  They will be gone in a year.
  • Tesla is about to go bankrupt.
  • The Tesla model S will never make it to market.
  • The Tesla model X will never make it to market.
  • The Tesla model X has too many problems and will never be a success.
  • The Tesla model 3 will never make it to market.
  • The model 3 will never be ready on time.
  • OK so it's ready on time but they are just hand building them for a few people.  It's not real; they will never be able to mass produce them.
  • Tesla will never have a profitable quarter.
  • The margins on the Model 3 are too small.

If you say such things for long enough, I guess one will eventually come true.  Blind squirrel and all that.

I think it helps quite a bit that a driver of a Model 3 just plowed into the back of a truck - and no one was seriously injured in the crash.  That's the outcome I want if I am ever stupid enough to plow into the back of a pickup truck.

13 minutes ago, normiss said:

It's oddly interesting how much you want an auto company to fail

Yep.  First really successful, innovative American car company in decades - and right wingers are falling all over themselves to wish them failure.  

Japan and China applaud their efforts.

1 minute ago, brenthutch said:

“ crash or crash not, there is no try”

Here's a similar non-Tesla crash:

=================================

Man, 2 children killed after van slams into tow truck helping another driver in Hart County

Updated: 12:23 PM EDT May 26, 2019

Kentucky State Police are investigating after a man and two children were killed in a crash in Hart County.

The crash was reported just before 8 p.m. Saturday on Interstate 65 near Bonnieville.

Preliminary investigation revealed Agustin Gonzalez, 36, of Cary, North Carolina, was driving southbound on I-65 when he struck a tow truck that was stopped in the roadway assisting with a crash.

Gonzalez didn't see the truck and hit its rear end. Officials said the tow truck was empty at the time of the collision and the driver was not injured.

Gonzalez was pronounced dead at the scene. Passenger Noelle Gonzalez, 6, was taken to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead. A second passenger, Gwendolyn Gonzalez, 2, was flown to Norton Children's Hospital,where she later succumbed to her injuries.

Police said a third child was taken to Hardin Memorial Hospital for treatment of minor injuries.

Officials said all occupants were restrained at the time of the crash.

=====================================

Which crash would you rather be in?

22 hours ago, billvon said:

Officials said all occupants were restrained at the time of the crash.

Wait, so what are you saying here, Bill? That seat-belts are useless? They provide NO added safety benefits so therefore we need to eliminate all seat-belts from vehicles? That would for sure help the bottom line of the struggling car manufacturers. Yes! Let's eliminate seat-belts. they provide no benefit (apparently) and are such a pain to use.

36 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

Wait, so what are you saying here, Bill? That seat-belts are useless? They provide NO added safety benefits so therefore we need to eliminate all seat-belts from vehicles? That would for sure help the bottom line of the struggling car manufacturers. Yes! Let's eliminate seat-belts. they provide no benefit (apparently) and are such a pain to use.

Definitely; that's the only thing that makes sense!