4 4
Igor Kamenev

Skyduck - new mobile app for skydivers

Hi guys,

I'm developer of Skyduck - the new mobile app for skydivers.
I'm trying to make the best app for skydivers, so I need your help. 
First of all I need your feedback.

Now it is in open beta test and available for iOS devices (iPhone 6 and higher except iPhone SE)

DOWNLOAD FROM APPSTORE

What it is now?

• Easy-to-use automated skydiving logbook
• Jumps digital signatures
• 3D visualization of jump
• Detailed statistics on a graph
• Vertical/horizontal speeds

Blue skies,
Igor

screens.jpg

Edited by Igor Kamenev
preview image
  • Like 5

On 6/4/2019 at 9:35 PM, Taha Kchirid said:

Hi, i have few questions concerning your app : 
- If it gives stats on your jump, It means that you should have your phone with you during the jump ?

- How do you get these stats ?

- Can all skydivers jump with their phones or only experienced one can like with a camera ?

Hi,

- yes, you should have your phone with you. You should press start button on the ground or on the plane and press stop after landing.

- The core of stats is math algorithm which mixes data from GPS, 3d accelerometers, 3d gyroscopes and 3d magnetometers.

- Every skydivers can jump with phones, more over it USPA suggestion to do so because it can help you in case of off-landing/injuries/etc.

Sorry for late reply, I was in area with no cellular coverage :(

13 hours ago, Igor Kamenev said:

Hi,

- yes, you should have your phone with you. You should press start button on the ground or on the plane and press stop after landing.

- The core of stats is math algorithm which mixes data from GPS, 3d accelerometers, 3d gyroscopes and 3d magnetometers.

- Every skydivers can jump with phones, more over it USPA suggestion to do so because it can help you in case of off-landing/injuries/etc.

Sorry for late reply, I was in area with no cellular coverage :(

Thank you for your answer, can't wait to try it 

5 minutes ago, Igor Kamenev said:

I've made a video demo for the app

Well, Igor - You've done a great job with this app. Impressive that you thought to get USPA's approval for digital signing. It's great to see the world moving away from the old written jump logs. I have no clue on how many jumps I failed to log over the years. I do have questions (for my own curiosity)

1. Will a jumper be able to add notes to the jump (others on the dive, type of dive, record jump, personal notes. etc.) 

2. When the skydiver breaks the phone - is all the info stored somewhere in the cloud by you? Or does it use the jumpers cloud (OneDrive, GDrive, DropBox, etc.)  Bottom line: If we drop it and the phone is destroyed - how do we get the data back?  

I got to use this App last week and I have to say the data is pretty cool to analyze. I am not sure how accurate some of those speeds displayed are, gave me 110kmh horizontal speed on my canopy (lightly loaded at 1.05/1 and a 210) and had my freefall speed (sit flying) at 377kmh lol.

Asides from that the 3d map of your free fall and landing is awesome, i am sure with time and updates it will get a lot better.

On 7/23/2019 at 12:33 AM, BIGUN said:

1. Will a jumper be able to add notes to the jump (others on the dive, type of dive, record jump, personal notes. etc.) 

You can do this right now. Comments, types of dive, etc.

On 7/23/2019 at 12:33 AM, BIGUN said:

2. When the skydiver breaks the phone - is all the info stored somewhere in the cloud by you? Or does it use the jumpers cloud (OneDrive, GDrive, DropBox, etc.)  Bottom line: If we drop it and the phone is destroyed - how do we get the data back?  

I've made an update (it is on review now) with personal profile (email+password / facebook).

I'm going to make export/import for the data a bit later. The next function will be competitions :)

22 hours ago, Nabz said:

I got to use this App last week and I have to say the data is pretty cool to analyze. I am not sure how accurate some of those speeds displayed are, gave me 110kmh horizontal speed on my canopy (lightly loaded at 1.05/1 and a 210) and had my freefall speed (sit flying) at 377kmh lol.

Vertical speed is pretty accurate. Barometric altimeter sensor is the best sensor in iphone. So 377kmh in sit is ok. I did 420. I compared all my jumps with flysight & protrack.

Unfortunately, horizontal speed depends on GPS data. GPS is not so accurate. Sometimes it is ok, sometimes it is not. There are some math algorithms inside which makes horizontal movements more precise than raw GPS data (I'm using accelerometers, gyroscopes, magnetometers and heuristic about dive to make raw GPS better). 

I'm still working on math, and I'm sure it will be better and better.

Igor

• Like 2

Hi Igor,

I tried your app for the first time last weekend and I like it very much! Usability and design are great. The reason I personally want to use the app is for wingsuiting/tracking, so I have a few questions regarding this:

- You said you compared the data to your Flysight and ProTrack. What results did you get? How big where the differences? How good or bad are the sensor specs on an iPhone compared to other tools.

- Is there a way you can integrate something like an error-display in the app? For example: the Flysight logs how many satellites it was connected to and therefore one could tell how accurate the data is. So we can know if the data is reliable or not

- Wind: Will you add the feature to correct the horizontal data with wind speed?

Overall great job! Is there a way to contribute?

Cheers,

Luke

On 7/24/2019 at 3:11 PM, Igor Kamenev said:

Vertical speed is pretty accurate. Barometric altimeter sensor is the best sensor in iphone. So 377kmh in sit is ok. I did 420. I compared all my jumps with flysight & protrack.

That'd mean you can be on sit as fast as the 100th fastest head-down skydiver ever recorded...... http://www.speed-skydiving.com/index.php/rankings/eternal-ranking-barometric. If 420 km/h was your normal speed your skydives would take around 30-35 seconds, including time to accelerate and decelerate. I bet they are a bit longer.

I do believe though that you can see that on your app or even protracks, but you are not accounting for burble effects and sudden changes in pressure. For instance, when switching from forward flying (wind on the back while sitflying) to backward flying (wind on the chest). In these cases the sensor will register very rapid changes in pressure, and the formula will result in a calculated vertical speed that is far far away from the reality.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 8:02 PM, Nabz said:

Me again... as I originally thought, the metrics on FF speed is WAY off... I did a belly jump and recorded 330kmh in 22 second free fall.

App is a good idea and concept but you still have to iron out some of the issues.

Yeah. You are right. I've found bug in vertical speed calculation. It has solved already in current version.

Please update.

Nice work !

Will the app work without network ? I'm currently using an android phone, but can I make it work with an old iPhone not connected to any network ?

Also, can you give us some details on how the Android version is progressing ? Do you have any Android developpers working on it ?

Thanks

On 9/9/2019 at 5:43 AM, Alaky said:

Nice work !

Will the app work without network ? I'm currently using an android phone, but can I make it work with an old iPhone not connected to any network ?

Also, can you give us some details on how the Android version is progressing ? Do you have any Android developpers working on it ?

Thanks

Sure, you can use it without a network. Only 3D view depends on it. But you need Iphone 6 and later.

Honestly, I'm still looking for Android developer. So. Progress is lower than zero :(

On 7/22/2019 at 5:33 PM, BIGUN said:

It's great to see the world moving away from the old written jump logs. I have no clue on how many jumps I failed to log over the years.

i don't like to see the trend go that way as it just shows that a certain phone was carried on a jump.  if one were so inclined, one could jump with a dozen phones for a dozen different jumpers to falsify logs.  of course, you could always have someone sign for a falsified logbook, just would leave a paper trail which some folks would rather not leave. 

having said that, i would like to have a shot at converting the code to android if possible.  it sounds like a great idea and i hate iphones.  send me a message if you are so inclined.