bigbearfng

Perris jet

They have taxied it around the DZ before during the fall.  It's probably just one of those things where they need to fire it up every so often now.  Jump tickets are supposed to be 100+  bucks.  Plus, I have a feeling they won't allow us to wingsuit from it.   

8 hours ago, kat00 said:

They have taxied it around the DZ before during the fall.  It's probably just one of those things where they need to fire it up every so often now.  Jump tickets are supposed to be 100+  bucks.  Plus, I have a feeling they won't allow us to wingsuit from it.   

We had WIngsuit boogies a few years back in Germany with a Moldavian AN72 cargo jet. Though flying fast horizontally the air was super clean during exit due to top mounted engines. It climbed to 15k feet in 5 mins with 80 people, sort of okay'ish  

On 5/18/2019 at 1:22 AM, birdynamnam said:

We had WIngsuit boogies a few years back in Germany with a Moldavian AN72 cargo jet. Though flying fast horizontally the air was super clean during exit due to top mounted engines. It climbed to 15k feet in 5 mins with 80 people, sort of okay'ish  

Perris has limited airspace and we can push its limits some days from 12.5.  I know last time we asked when they offered a halo jump and were denied.   Plus this is a DC-9 not a cargo/military jet.  You go down a stairs to jump.  As a frequent jumper there, I am just making an educated guess based on past experience.  They are now supposedly trying to fly it in october at the skydiving hall of fame/museum event so we shall see.

On 5/17/2019 at 5:38 PM, kat00 said:

They have taxied it around the DZ before during the fall.  It's probably just one of those things where they need to fire it up every so often now.  Jump tickets are supposed to be 100+  bucks. 

For years, they've demurred on the subject of the jet. However, over the past few months they've been teasing it a lot on social media - which to me is a good sign. Maybe they're planning something. (That being said, the jet is a red tape magnet. So who knows? Anything could happen, in spite of any plans.)

And IMO the $100+ price tag is certainly worth it, for a once in a lifetime-kinda jump. Plus you get a bag of peanuts on the way up (such a deal!).

Plus, I have a feeling they won't allow us to wingsuit from it.   

They used to. Talk to Scott Smith about it - he's made a few wingsuit jumps from that jet.

(I never did, as I wasn't yet into wingsuiting at the time. But would love to take a small wingsuit formation out of it - unlike a belly formation, a wingsuit group would have lots of extra working time to get back together after the wind blew us 50 yards apart). :) 

On 5/27/2019 at 6:16 PM, kleggo said:

That would be nice.

It's been > 15 years since I last jumped the jet and experienced the "safety briefing" by the flight attendants.

One of the more memorable flights of my life was taking the jet to Rantoul.  On the way back we stopped in Provo, Utah because it had the cheapest fuel prices in the country at that point.  

Landing at Perris with an almost full load of fuel during thunderstorm season was a once in a lifetime experience.  "Wow, we touched down right past the ditch.  There goes the memorial!  There goes manifest.  There goes the parking lot.  Hmm, we are still going _really_ fast . . . "  Fortunately there was plenty of beer.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 8:14 PM, billvon said:

One of the more memorable flights of my life was taking the jet to Rantoul.  On the way back we stopped in Provo, Utah because it had the cheapest fuel prices in the country at that point.  

Landing at Perris with an almost full load of fuel during thunderstorm season was a once in a lifetime experience.  "Wow, we touched down right past the ditch.  There goes the memorial!  There goes manifest.  There goes the parking lot.  Hmm, we are still going _really_ fast . . . "  Fortunately there was plenty of beer.

When I was working at Perris years ago I had a few opportunities to jump the jet - one of them paid for by a buddy - and I kept saying no.  And interestingly, I have no regrets now.  It always seemed just a little too sketchy for me...neither the airplane nor the pilots got exercised much, the runway was incredibly narrow for the gear and wingspan, the Take Off over town looked really low and fast, etc.  "Just get me high enough to jump" wasn't working for me.  I'm sure I would have been fine if I had made the flight - one almost always is - but I've always listened to my gut on these kinds of things.  Even against peer pressure.  Kind of like the time at Eloy when I was the only person (one of 44 people) who got off the DC3 prior to TO because the left engine wasn't making full power on the 1st TO attempt.  Turns out that was a revenue-producing maintenance flight.  Everything turned out fine on that one as well, but I was the only person who made the right decision that day.

On 5/19/2019 at 5:05 PM, kat00 said:

Perris has limited airspace and we can push its limits some days from 12.5.  I know last time we asked when they offered a halo jump and were denied.   Plus this is a DC-9 not a cargo/military jet.  You go down a stairs to jump.  As a frequent jumper there, I am just making an educated guess based on past experience.  They are now supposedly trying to fly it in october at the skydiving hall of fame/museum event so we shall see.

No stairs. Tube. All smooth Gill Liner covered surfaces.

I'd advise those daring souls winging out the tail to NOT attempt a linked exit. Ow. That hurt.

WFFC 06. 5 jet jumps, all wingies.

Blue skies Scotty and Jeff. Miss you assholes.

• Like 1

No problems with wingsuiting out of it. And yup, no stairs just a smooth ramp to run down. Just make sure to take a slight pause before exit to make sure you're facing the front. The guy that exited it before me was still sideways on exit and spun like a top! Make sure to wear a cam too-you really do end up looking down at the tail. Pretty cool and worth the extra $ for the jump ticket to me!

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 2:59 AM, 20kN said:

again none of this matters, the jet is not in operation and likely never will be. i've been asking about the jet for years and I havent seen a single serious attempt to getting it up in the air.

I was told they have to extend the runway at Perris when I was last there in April 2019 before the jet can fly again.