skybytch

Well... black skies for you my friends

"black skies for you my friends …."

The above was posted in a recent thread, directed toward others who disagreed with him or called him out on his attitude/actions.  This is a forum, so anything that is said here has to be taken with a grain of salt.  It may not have been intended as it came across.

But it got me thinking. We all know things like this have happened at the dz before and will probably happen again.  Things are often said in anger that are not meant, whether the anger was justified or not.

So I'm curious; how would you handle it if someone said that at the dz?  I'm not sure what I would do.

Please, keep this one general.  Let's not attack the person who posted it.  He may not know what he really said with that phrase.

Edited by skybytch
more words

I don't know the post / context, so can't judge specifics, and it is hard to generalize a comment like that, it can be said to be funny or to be serious, and be taken as funny or serious all depending on context, people involved, etc. 

Sounds a little like the "can I be on your ash dive?" line. I don't really like that comment, but that's just me. 

I used to print a t-shirt, "CAN I BE ON YOUR ASH DIVE?"

DZ is not a place for thin skinned snow flakes. If words bother you what are you going to do when your friend bounces and you get his gooey stuff all over you? Say what is all that stuff? When I was a student I figured there would be a lot of blood but when peoples bodies break open it's all this clear gooey stuff that dries and looks kind of like thin snot. Any body know what it is?

Lee

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RiggerLee said:

I used to print a t-shirt, "CAN I BE ON YOUR ASH DIVE?"

DZ is not a place for thin skinned snow flakes. If words bother you what are you going to do when your friend bounces and you get his gooey stuff all over you? Say what is all that stuff? When I was a student I figured there would be a lot of blood but when peoples bodies break open it's all this clear gooey stuff that dries and looks kind of like thin snot. Any body know what it is?

Lee

Probably lymphatic fluid.

2 hours ago, skybytch said:

black skies for you my friends …."

The above was posted in a recent thread, directed toward others who disagreed with him or called him out on his attitude/actions.  This is a forum, so anything that is said here has to be taken with a grain of salt.  It may not have been intended as it came across.

Without knowing for sure the context it comes across to me as fighting words. The equivalent of saying "fuck off and die".

(edited)
3 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Without knowing for sure the context it comes across to me as fighting words. The equivalent of saying "fuck off and die".

I'd go with this. 
Without context, it's hard to say, but I would take 'black skies' as wishing bad things towards someone. 
Intentionally wishing harm on them.

The 'can I be on your ash dive?' comment is generally directed at people who are doing stupid shit, have been told how bad of an idea it is, and keep on doing it. It's not wishing bad things as much as predicting them. Somewhat similar to bounce bingo. I have my list. People who make bad choices and ignore lessons learned by themselves and others.

Or the 'black skies' comment could have been sheer stupidity. While I started well after the real BS/BD days, my understanding is that it basically means 'enjoy the good but understand that the bad will happen.' The sport has changed to the point that some people don't even think it's 'dangerous'. 

Edited by wolfriverjoe
  • Like 1

Without context, it's hard to say, but I would take 'black skies' as wishing bad things towards someone. 
Intentionally wishing harm on them.

But he said, "my friends." Doesn't that ensure it is not a vitriolic response?

And if you don't agree with me, then I say, "Good day, Sir!"

ww_gds.PNG