yobnoc

L&B Viso II

Hey folks, just putting feelers out there, as I've heard this is a somewhat common occurrence.  On Saturday, I checked my altitude, broke off from formation, tracked away, checked my Viso II again and to my surprise, it was blank.  Then it turned back on once I was under canopy at around 3k, but it was displaying 600', and when I landed it was reading -300'.  Luckily I was able to follow other traffic in and land safely.  When I looked at the altimeter, I found that the battery cover had cracked completely across, close to the screw that holds it on.  So my question is: has anyone had this happen?  How did you contact L&B to get a new cover?  I keep getting redirected to some place called SSK in Lebanon, OH.

12 minutes ago, yobnoc said:

Luckily I was able to follow other traffic in and land safely.

You needed luck to land without a functioning altimeter? Sigh, kids these days...... SSK is the North American service provider for L&B. As well as CYPRES. Good people.

12 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

You needed luck to land without a functioning altimeter? Sigh, kids these days...... SSK is the North American service provider for L&B. As well as CYPRES. Good people.

I'm just a skypup.  So, while I didn't need it to land safely, I didn't know that until I had to actually do it.  The really lucky part is that it functioned during the skydive until I was about to pitch anyway.

• Like 2

I use analog + optima II, feel much better with the two technologies combined. I have trust issues with things that run only on batteries that's why I haven't transitioned to digital alti yet. But a need may occur very soon if I'm gonna get into swooping.