jimmy93

ParaAvis Container

Hey guys. Im rather new to this sport, I only have around 70 jumps and I am thinking of buying a 2 hand rig.

I live in Spain, and I have been looking for a few weeks. My brother, who is an experienced skydiver has found a great deal. Its a 2012 ParaAvis container with a Storm 170 made in 2012 with only 100 jumps, the reserve is a PD 160, and finally it comes with a checked Cypres AAD.

I am bit concerned about the container, which is made by a russian company, this doesn´t matter to me but I havent found much info about the contaminar online, the company has their website, but apart from that I have only found a few comments in this blog about the Paraavis brand in 2005. There is not any info about the modern ParaAvis rigs, and that scares me a bit.

Also, I am planning a trip to the US this summer to jump in Hawaii with a friend. Can they have a problem with this russian container? In my DZ they say its a fine container but I want to know if I can have any problems jumping it in the US.

Thanks in advance.

Jimmy

The rules for foreign jumpers jumping foreign gear in the US are pretty simple. If it's legal in your country, and you aren't a US resident, then it's legal to jump here when you visit.

One thing about Hawaii, though. The DZs are tricky. They get some nasty winds. I seem to remember that they have minimum jump/license level requirements. I would strongly suggest you get in touch with the DZ to see if you meet their minimums. (I could be wrong on this and welcome correction if so)

I've seen a Tandem Rig, the construction is well done, if that model you saw is freefly friendly, then I guess you're fine. One thing to have in mind and is very important, is customer service, how fast can you have your requests attended to, replacement parts, free bags, reserve pilot chutes, etc. Spain has a distribuitor: Miguel García [email protected] 

ParaAvis doesn't bother with the North American market so that's why is hard to find info here. You will have more luck I guess in European Skydiving Forums. Do you have pictures of the container? Let's see it, post them here!

Blue skies

Many in Russia jump them... ParaAvis is big so it will be there for yars and years, but u need to check is that legal for locals to jump it in your country. You may want to ask couple riggers if they would pack it for you.

On 5/9/2019 at 7:01 PM, wolfriverjoe said:

The rules for foreign jumpers jumping foreign gear in the US are pretty simple. If it's legal in your country, and you aren't a US resident, then it's legal to jump here when you visit.

Almost, but not exactly.  The OP doesn't say if he is a US citizen.  US citizens jumping in the US must jump FAA-approved equipment packed by an FAA-rigger, regardless of where they are resident.

1 hour ago, mark said:

Almost, but not exactly.  The OP doesn't say if he is a US citizen.  US citizens jumping in the US must jump FAA-approved equipment packed by an FAA-rigger, regardless of where they are resident.

Good point. Thank you for the clarification.

First of all, many thanks to all of you for your answers. 

I am taking the rig this weekend to my local DZ to get it checked out by the rigger. So I hope he tells me the same you guys have told me. I´m not a US citizen btw!

I have already talked with the DZ in Oahu, Hawaii and they have told me that they don´t have any minimum jump or level requirements as long as I have a valid USPA license which I got a few months ago. They told me the same as you, there are frequent strong winds and I will have to be very careful when jumping, but I will talk to the instructors there to tell me when it´s good to jump.

Thanks to all!! I will keep you updated with my riggers opinion.

On 5/10/2019 at 1:01 AM, wolfriverjoe said:

One thing about Hawaii, though. The DZs are tricky. They get some nasty winds. I seem to remember that they have minimum jump/license level requirements. I would strongly suggest you get in touch with the DZ to see if you meet their minimums. (I could be wrong on this and welcome correction if so)