degeneration

Using risers with RSL on other side..

So I've got a set of risers with the RSL on the right riser. 

The rig I want to use them in has the RSL on the left side.

Are there any issues with using them in the rig, swapping them to the other side so the RSL ring riser is the left one and connecting the rsl? The RSL ring will then be on the outer side rather than the inner side. 

Any issues doing this? 

Edited by degeneration

I've seen it done and am OK with it. The mechanics of the RSL pull shouldn't introduce any forces too much different than normal.

Have to watch the RSL routing though. Depending on where the RSL is situated (on the reserve risers or under or inboard of them), someone might route the RSL UNDER the reserve risers instead of over top, to get to the outboard side instead of inboard. (Might still work despite dragging the RSL under the risers before the reserve is released. Even weirder and scarier if a MARD were involved.)

Plus it just looks weird and is confusing to anyone who is helping with a gear check.

So I tend to recommend it as temporary only, until one gets some new risers shipped in...

If the ring end up on the wrong side of the riser (outboard while the RSL shackle is inboard), I would recommend against it. In that case, routing the RSL properly is going to be much more difficult, and much more error-prone. Better to get a new set of risers, or find a Master Rigger willing and able to add an RSL ring to the correct riser in the correct place. That shouldn't be an expensive job.

Thanks for all the replies. This was only going to be a temporary arrangement as my current container (a curv 1.0) has risers that are too long for me. After my current reserve repack expires I'll likely be switching back to my other container {a Fire) from which the risers in question came. 

I'll be sure to give the RSL slack a good test to check that it is acceptable. 

Its best if RSL ends up on the right side. Years ago Vector did test on the loads risers endure during openings and the left riser takes about 75% or more of the load (if memory serves), due to the typical body position of left shoulder low during the pull. If a riser ever breaks, its likely to be the left one.