1 1
RatelSquadron

AAF near Monterey Ca

Hello everybody, I hope I’m posting in the right place, I did a tandem and now I want to go do an AFF course.  I live in Monterey but I continuously hear bad things about the Monterey jump zone, Watsonville does not offer AFF and I have also heard that Lodi or Hollister is not very safe.  Is there a good jump zone close by me that teaches AFF and is safe with a good reputation?

Edited by RatelSquadron
Added info

I learned in Lodi, and it was just fine. The student gear is all really nice, and there's plenty of it so generally you can jump back to back loads instead of having to miss a load to wait for a pack job. They are open every day and run an otter most days... which was nice for learning because a bigger aircraft with a nice big door made exits easy. The landing area is massive and there are plenty of things to use as reference while learning to fly a pattern and land.

Just some food for thought! Good luck!

Bay Area Skydiving at Byron CA is a good AFF DZ. Good gear, good plane, good instructors. HUGE surrounding areas for hazard-free landings, if for some reason, you end up landing off the DZ. Good vibe, helpful community of experienced jumpers who welcome newcomers to the sport. If you are on a tight budget do check Lodi out. Last I heard they were still offering AFF for $1000 (checked their website today, 5/7/2019). They jump every day so you could go from zero to licensed in a week staying locally. A bit of advice, spend a few bucks for tunnel time with an instructor and learn how to get stable before you ever exit a plane. I Fly SF Bay is a vertical wind tunnel located in Union City. There are lots of discount coupons around. COSTCO used to have a good prepaid deal. You will nail AFF if you enter it already knowing how to fly stable in freefall. Even better if you learn turns, flips etc. Skydive California in Tracy is also a good DZ with a really tidy setup. Hope you get your A license and enjoy the best air sport on the planet.

Please see this guys post in the main forum, we shouldn't be encouraging him to show up anywhere. There is a golf bag in his future , but in the mean time it really wouldn't be fair to the drop zone that we guided him to.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, DougH said:

Please see this guys post in the main forum, we shouldn't be encouraging him to show up anywhere. There is a golf bag in his future , but in the mean time it really wouldn't be fair to the drop zone that we guided him to.

Yep this guy is a f u c k w i t as we Brits say.  

• Like 3