2 2
brenthutch

Looks like trickle down works after all

In May 2011, the country became a net exporter of refined petroleum products. As of 2014, the United States was the world's third-largest producer of crude oil, after Saudi Arabia and Russia, and second-largest exporter of refined products, after Russia.

Where exactly was the Great Orange Leader in all of this?

15 hours ago, brenthutch said:

And as soon as it looked like Barack “spread the wealth around” Obama might have a chance at the White House, things went downhill fast.  The same thing will happen if it looks like the Ds have a chance this time.  We won’t have to wait for any policy to be implemented, just the threat of it will be enough to send the economy into a tailspin. 

Both front runners have an economic message of stability and Warren has a goal and proven track record of managing regulations to promote competition. Both are also not fans of the trade wars that have been hampering the global economy.  Or there's Trump the wildcard.  The tech industry (seeing more and more control by a few players) likes Warren and since the US is a service innovation economy that's a pretty big swing in her favor.

On 10/15/2019 at 9:10 AM, normiss said:

In May 2011, the country became a net exporter of refined petroleum products. As of 2014, the United States was the world's third-largest producer of crude oil, after Saudi Arabia and Russia, and second-largest exporter of refined products, after Russia.

Where exactly was the Great Orange Leader in all of this?

The US passed Saudi Arabia in crude production and extended its leads in other petroleum products in 2018.  I'm not sure Obama was president at that time. 

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

The US passed Saudi Arabia in crude production and extended its leads in other petroleum products in 2018.

So in 2011 the US became a net exporter, which means nothing. But in 2018 the US passed Saudi Arabia in crude production and that is all hail Trump?

I haven't checked these numbers, but the reasoning here is pretty weird.

It is largely due to the private sector, just as it was during the Obama administration.  The Trump administration is just not putting up the same roadblocks as Obama.  Obama tried to impede oil and gas development yet when he failed to stop it he took credit for its growth.

7 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

So in 2011 the US became a net exporter, which means nothing. But in 2018 the US passed Saudi Arabia in crude production and that is all hail Trump?

I haven't checked these numbers, but the reasoning here is pretty weird.

Aren't you a Canuck?

You do know of the Tar Sands?The Transcontinental Pipline ?TTP was haulted for years under 0bama. 

I can't beleive you dont want us, to buy your oil?

and If we didnt buy and process that dirty oil.I guess you could build a pipeline to the West coast and sell it to China, the savior of mother earth.Canada and US Enviromentalist would be so proud.America Canada and Mother Earth are better off..wouldnt you agree? 

As for you looking at 401K plans as an indicator of wealth creation,well thats disingenuous.

Most Businesses in the US are small and have suffered the formention decades long stagnation.With lower taxes I was able to get a raise, and my bottom line is 5% growth compounded for 2 years now.

I was wondering if, in Canada or you personally benifit from Philanthropy.Here in LA we Have many such institutions.If your in LA area check out this and the Getty.   They're Free..

https://www.nethercuttcollection.org/EndPage.aspx?page=grandsalon

22 minutes ago, normiss said:

I'm sure there was no risk of that pipeline through the areas it traversed. Certainly that had nothing to do with the lack of desire for such a pipeline. /s

Ya thats why the people of Canada Are Benifiting Now.

By your responce I know, you know every little about the Project.Would you like to discuss the Dakota Access Pipline also its a mirror image, but Domestic?

Hey Cheer up its October,

Whats Orange and hallow and needs to be thrown out by November?

34 minutes ago, richravizza said:

By your responce I know, you know every little about the Project.Would you like to discuss the Dakota Access Pipline also its a mirror image, but Domestic?

Fuck those 51 jobs created for million$ in profit and the land owners as well I suppose.

I'm not a fan of for profit eminent domain, the violence used to "convince" those land owners, the legal prosecution of land owners who desire to keep their property without profit tubes running through their land, nor the militaristic approach used to push legal land owners away from their rights to land ownership.

Nah. That's just not the right approach to me.

Even a half assed approach to work with land owners, legal right of ways, and re-routing considerations would be preferred over the "we're coming through fuck you" approach that was used.

As a property owner, I'd be beyond livid.

But hey, billionaires gonna billion I guess.

46 minutes ago, richravizza said:

Oh, also English. ;)

8 hours ago, richravizza said:

Aren't you a Canuck?

You do know of the Tar Sands?The Transcontinental Pipline ?TTP was haulted for years under 0bama. 

and If we didnt buy and process that dirty oil.I guess you could build a pipeline to the West coast and sell it to China, the savior of mother earth.Canada and US Enviromentalist would be so proud.America Canada and Mother Earth are better off..wouldnt you agree?

One of the problems with a strictly capitalist approach to society and value is the use of money as a universal determinant of worth and benefit. Enough money is nice. It's been pretty consistently shown that after "enough" is reached, there isn't a significant rise in happiness and life satisfaction with the acquisition of more money. 

Maybe Canadians just don't see money as the sole measure of happiness.

Wendy P.

(edited)
18 hours ago, brenthutch said:

It is largely due to the private sector, just as it was during the Obama administration.  The Trump administration is just not putting up the same roadblocks as Obama.  Obama tried to impede oil and gas development yet when he failed to stop it he took credit for its growth.

How so?  What did he do?  Or are you talking about the opposition of fracking and pipelines?  That's a different story, more like How we do it rather than If.

Edit: Looks like that was addressed above.

Edited by DJL
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, richravizza said:

96% of crude from Canada is exported to the US. So, you already are buying our oil. The Keystone Pipeline, which I am assuming you are referring to won't change that. It may change the amount we can deliver, but under current pricing that is not clear either.

The Transcontinental Pipline (sic) is a natural gas pipeline in the US and has nothing to do oil production in Canada.

On 10/17/2019 at 6:33 AM, wmw999 said:

One of the problems with a strictly capitalist approach to society and value is the use of money as a universal determinant of worth and benefit.

Wendy P.

From the Scientific American article referenced in another thread:

The mathematical models also call attention to the enormous extent to which wealth distribution is caused by symmetry breaking, chance and early advantage (from, for example, inheritance). And the presence of symmetry breaking puts paid to arguments for the justness of wealth inequality that appeal to “voluntariness”—the notion that individuals bear all responsibility for their economic outcomes simply because they enter into transactions voluntarily—or to the idea that wealth accumulation must be the result of cleverness and industriousness. It is true that an individual's location on the wealth spectrum correlates to some extent with such attributes, but the overall shape of that spectrum can be explained to better than 0.33 percent by a statistical model that completely ignores them. Luck plays a much more important role than it is usually accorded, so that the virtue commonly attributed to wealth in modern society—and, likewise, the stigma attributed to poverty—is completely unjustified.

29 minutes ago, kallend said:

Luck plays a much more important role than it is usually accorded, so that the virtue commonly attributed to wealth in modern society—and, likewise, the stigma attributed to poverty—is completely unjustified.

This theory completely overlooks the true reason some people and some peoples are better off than others. God plays favourites. She especially favours delightsome peoples.

On 10/31/2019 at 6:40 AM, kallend said:

Fed just cut interest rates for the third time this year. 

And Halloween is when your old tweets come back to haunt you.

Image may contain: 2 people

Just a couple of days ago Trump was gloating at a rally stating that Beto 'quit like a dog' from a primary race.What kind of LOSER doesn't have the fucking stones to try and see a presidential race through??

You know, just like Trump did in 2000 with the Reform party.

(edited)

"Trickle Up" in action.  Reminiscent of the AIG execs paying themselves big bonuses with taxpayer money after the 2008 bailout.

"Purdue Pharma, facing thousands of lawsuits and bankruptcy, wants to pay ‘certain employees’ $34 million in bonuses"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/09/19/purdue-pharma-facing-thousands-lawsuits-bankruptcy-wants-pay-certain-employees-million-bonuses/?fbclid=IwAR1lZ6ifjtVKKA-J7FaYnvdDdfUT3ovffSN3NPmXWXUuPMemcu6HAjFfVIg

Edited by kallend

The company is widely blamed for fueling the opioid epidemic because of allegedly misleading sales tactics it used to push physicians to prescribe millions of doses of its OxyContin painkiller.

Like what, holding a gun to a doctor's head and forcing them to prescribe this shit?

Fuckers were getting paid 25-100k each.

On 8/23/2019 at 9:25 AM, yoink said:

They won'b be baffled. They'll refuse to see it as an issue or they'll blame the Republicans.

It can't ever possibly be anything to do with the CANDIDATE they elected. Far easier to deny it or blame it on someone else rather than take responsibility.

And so it goes . . . .

Here - I fixed it for you - you can go back and copy and paste this when the party changes.

On 10/16/2019 at 9:50 PM, richravizza said:

Aren't you a Canuck?

As for you looking at 401K plans as an indicator of wealth creation,well thats disingenuous.

Most Businesses in the US are small and have suffered the formention decades long stagnation.With lower taxes I was able to get a raise, and my bottom line is 5% growth compounded for 2 years now.

I was wondering if, in Canada or you personally benifit from Philanthropy.Here in LA we Have many such institutions.If your in LA area check out this and the Getty.   They're Free..

https://www.nethercuttcollection.org/EndPage.aspx?page=grandsalon

Unfortunately - you likely received a raise that barely covered the increase in living expenses.

I got a 10% increase in salary - yet everything I spend money on (with the exception of my investments and house) increased about 7.5% in that same time frame.

(edited)