2 2
RonD1120

Pope Francis Called Out, Against The Faith

11 hours ago, Coreece said:

Careful, you're entering stage Left.  "It's all about the feels. . .feels, not facts!"

Lol, nah. Although he is joking, it is undeniably a Right wing position to legally discriminate against religious people.

11 hours ago, yobnoc said:

I am an atheist, and I definitely don't refuse to believe in a god or gods.  If given sufficient evidence to warrant belief, I absolutely would accept it.  I can say with 100% certainty that if the Abrahamic god (Yahweh, Allah) was somehow (unlikely) proven to exist though, I would not bend the knee based on principle alone.  Those gods are monstrous, and it would go against my moral compass to worship such entities based on the atrocities credited to them.

That, my friend is Agnostic.

12 hours ago, gowlerk said:

But why would you chose "refuses" when in reality it should be "has no reason to"? To a believer an atheist denies god. But really an atheist denies nothing because there is nothing but a mystery. No one can deny the mystery, except those who choose to believe in a god myth of one kind or another. Atheists are the true believers. They don't follow lies.

Ahhh - I was hoping you would catch that . . .  and . . . Because it is the mindset of all those "With" religion.

If something is undeniable, then any other position is "anti".  Any other belief is refusing to believe the truth.

After all - the truth has been explained to you already.  (Right?)

I forget sometimes that there is a decided lack of humor in this forum.:P People take things WAY to seriously here.

It was a veiled jab at those that have a somewhat closed mind regarding the existence of a magical being.

(edited)
1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

That, my friend is Agnostic.

If you look me in the face and tell me that the Loch Ness Monster is real, I’d tell you I do not believe that, and that I do not believe it because I have not seen evidence to support that claim. If you told me that there are magical fairies that live in your bedtime slippers, I’d give you the same answer. This does not mean I’m agnostic on the subjects, although I’ll give you that agnosticism is very poorly defined, and people tend to have their own subjective definitions on what it means. 

To be clear, I don’t see the prospect of Nessie, slipper fairies, or God as open questions. They are claims equally lacking merit (actually I’d say there is more [still insufficient, but more] evidence for Nessie than God), and should not be believed until the claimants can provide evidence to support their claim. Until then, which has not yet happened and does not seem likely to happen, I do not believe any of those claims. 

That is atheism.

Edited by yobnoc
Poor grammar

46 minutes ago, billvon said:

An agnostic is someone who isn't sure whether God exists.

An atheist is pretty sure he doesn't.

And actually I’ve known two kinds of atheists; those who are pretty sure he doesn’t, but will listen to evidence and consider it, and those who KNOW there isn’t a God. 

Wendy P. 

12 minutes ago, wmw999 said:
1 hour ago, billvon said:

An agnostic is someone who isn't sure whether God exists.

An atheist is pretty sure he doesn't.

And actually I’ve known two kinds of atheists; those who are pretty sure he doesn’t, but will listen to evidence and consider it, and those who KNOW there isn’t a God. 

Wendy P. 

Yeah, the considerate ones are those you meet face to face.  The second ones are those you meet online.  Sometimes it's the same person. Just like religious folks I suppose.

(edited)
1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

those who are pretty sure he doesn’t, but will listen to evidence and consider it,

There is no evidence of god. None. There is only faith, and faith (in the context of religion) is a choice to forego evidence.

Edited by gowlerk
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, gowlerk said:
1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

those who are pretty sure he doesn’t, but will listen to evidence and consider it,

There is no evidence of god. None.

Well, there is someone's personal testimony which is considered a form of evidence, albeit anecdotal and unreliable for many people to accept as truth.  However, for the religious, this personal evidence is all one needs to sustain their faith and may even be predisposed to accept it through natural selection. 

2 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Well, there is someone's personal testimony which is considered a form of evidence, albeit anecdotal and unreliable for many people to accept as truth.

So, that is exactly what I said. There is no evidence of the existence of god. Look up the meaning of the word "evidence".

1 minute ago, gowlerk said:
6 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Well, there is someone's personal testimony which is considered a form of evidence, albeit anecdotal and unreliable for many people to accept as truth.

So, that is exactly what I said. There is no evidence of the existence of god. Look up the meaning of the word "evidence". 

Evidence is different than proof, and very seldom will one piece of evidence be enough to prove anything. 

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Here is evidence . . . 

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/05/03/Teens-praying-for-help-rescued-by-boat-called-The-Amen/5951556896544/?sl=6

And before you say - "That's just a coincidence!" There are no coincidences.  I don't believe in coincidences.  There is no evidence of coincidences.

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

Here is evidence . . . 

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/05/03/Teens-praying-for-help-rescued-by-boat-called-The-Amen/5951556896544/?sl=6

And before you say - "That's just a coincidence!" There are no coincidences.  I don't believe in coincidences.  There is no evidence of coincidences.

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.  (Not)

• Like 1

(edited)
2 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

coincidence

Co+incidence. Literally meaning two or more things happening at the same time or of the same nature. What is there to prove? It's just another way of saying shit happens. God knows we don't need god for shit to happen.

Edited by gowlerk

13 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Co+incidence. Literally meaning two or more things happening at the same time or of the same nature. What is there to prove? It's just another way of saying shit happens. God knows we don't need god for shit to happen.

However the personification means God exists.

Thanks for proving my point.

Now - PROVE a coincidence exists in its definition - not root word descriptor.

(edited)
15 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

However the personification means God exists.

Thanks for proving my point.

Now - PROVE a coincidence exists in its definition - not root word descriptor.

The personification I used was meant as a joke. God is a joke. I will not engage in attempting to show you how I know the unknowable. That would be pointless.

Edited by gowlerk