kallend

Infrastructure Week

“We’re actually calling it Infrastructure Week in this administration.”   V.P. Pence, June 8, 2017

On June 8, 2017 Trump predicted that infrastructure spending would “take off like a rocket ship.”

Oct. 9, 2017: “9 Months Into Presidency, Trump Still Hasn’t Offered Infrastructure Plan.”

Dec. 14, 2017: “Trump’s Infrastructure Plan Is Almost Done — and Already Dead.”

Jan. 24, 2018: “Trump could reveal long-promised infrastructure plan within two weeks.”

According to the Urban Dictionary, Infrastructure Week  is: “A repeatedly failed attempt to stay on-task endlessly derailed by high-profile distractions caused by one’s own ineptitude.”

23 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

So the money became available as planned from before.

The money became available from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.  Was right there on the sign.

But to be fair, they didn't use many shovels; mostly bulldozers and cranes.  So I am sure you can claim it wasn't "shovel ready."

1 hour ago, billvon said:

The money became available from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.  Was right there on the sign.

But to be fair, they didn't use many shovels; mostly bulldozers and cranes.  So I am sure you can claim it wasn't "shovel ready."

If that's the case - then awesome - Hopefully you are kidding, and they used more shovels though - it was supposed to put people back to work - not necessarily line the pockets of the already rich.

18 minutes ago, kallend said:

A massive stimulating federal spending program at a time of already record employment and a booming economy? No, just no.

Just now, gowlerk said:

A massive stimulating federal spending program at a time of already record employment and a booming economy? No, just no.

Who needs highways and bridges anyway?  They are for the little people who pay taxes.  All you need is your helicopter.

(edited)
2 hours ago, kallend said:

I suggest you quit posting about a city of which it is apparent you know absolutely nothing.  It just  makes you look ignorant.

Wow, what a great contribution this fantastic forum.  No wonder nobody posts here. It's people like you.

Edited by AlanS

4 hours ago, kallend said:

No-one is forcing you to read what I write.

People may pay more attention if you posted more than trivial narcissism, contempt, and insults.

The above is why I chuckle when you post things like you did- because it makes you look so childish, while you have this huge self image of importance.

The irony alone is entertaining enough to keep me coming back.

Thanks John!

On 5/6/2019 at 8:51 AM, turtlespeed said:

People may pay more attention if you posted more than trivial narcissism, contempt, and insults.

The above is why I chuckle when you post things like you did- because it makes you look so childish, while you have this huge self image of importance.

The irony alone is entertaining enough to keep me coming back.

Thanks John!

I live in Chicago, and it is very clear from your snide comments about the city that you know almost nothing about it.  So, yes, when you post such comments about it I do have contempt for your foolishness. 

58 minutes ago, kallend said:

I live in Chicago, and it is very clear from your snide comments about the city that you know almost nothing about it.  So, yes, when you post such comments about it I do have contempt for your foolishness. 

You could always put him on your 'ignore' list. 

You certainly wouldn't miss anything of substance.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 10:33 AM, turtlespeed said:

If that's the case - then awesome - Hopefully you are kidding, and they used more shovels though - it was supposed to put people back to work - not necessarily line the pockets of the already rich.

I didn't see many; you can't really use a shovel out here.  But there were a lot of people building forms when I would drive by.

And if you think that public work projects don't line the pockets of the already rich - I have a bridge in Brooklyn for you that was built only by hourly employees, and didn't enrich any moguls one bit.

15 minutes ago, billvon said:

I didn't see many; you can't really use a shovel out here.  But there were a lot of people building forms when I would drive by.

And if you think that public work projects don't line the pockets of the already rich - I have a bridge in Brooklyn for you that was built only by hourly employees, and didn't enrich any moguls one bit.

I am fully aware of the reality.

I was talking about the intent - you know - what it was sold to the people as.

4 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

I was talking about the intent - you know - what it was sold to the people as.

I don't know of anyone who thought that "shovel ready" meant that people would use shovels, and/or that all the money would go to people using shovels (or laborers using similar tools.)  It meant that the work was ready to go.  And a lot of it was, although not as much as was promised.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, billvon said:

I don't know of anyone who thought that "shovel ready" meant that people would use shovels, and/or that all the money would go to people using shovels (or laborers using similar tools.)  It meant that the work was ready to go.  And a lot of it was, although not as much as was promised.

All - no - Many - or most - yes - 

I work in the construction industry, in the field, and I heard conversations about it all day long as it was being touted.

A decent sized public project isn’t shovel ready if a fair amount of work hasn’t already been invested in engineering, feasibility, and governmental facets. That takes time. 

So I’d say that anything that was quickly “shovel ready” and had been started after the announcement was half-assed in the extreme. 

Wendy P.