gunsmokex

Beginner wingsuit recommendations?

My goal this yr is to get into wingsuiting. I'm going to start looking for a FFC, but need recommendations on a general idea of what kind of wingsuit to start with? I'm going to probably rent from Wicked Wingsuits. Also anyone that knows of any FFC near the upper midwest please let me know.

I jump a Hornet, low wing loading, going to eventually get a new PC with bridle extension. 

If you rent from Wicked Wingsuits it's a choice between Squirrel and Tony Suits.  I think the Swift 3 is probably the best choice and can take you to hundreds of jumps and you could still be learning.  While I was waiting on my swift 3 I rented a T bird and then R bird from them(before they had squirrel).  You just need to keep in your jump number range.

There is also Arcus Flight that deals only with Squirrel suits.

Before you go to a FFC, you should have a long 8' bridle to deal with the burble.  Even a small suit can cause problems with a shorter bridle.  A Squirrel SkySnatch is a great all around Pilot Chute especially for wingsuiting but even for everyday use.

5 hours ago, kat00 said:

If you rent from Wicked Wingsuits it's a choice between Squirrel and Tony Suits.  I think the Swift 3 is probably the best choice and can take you to hundreds of jumps and you could still be learning.  While I was waiting on my swift 3 I rented a T bird and then R bird from them(before they had squirrel).  You just need to keep in your jump number range.

There is also Arcus Flight that deals only with Squirrel suits.

Before you go to a FFC, you should have a long 8' bridle to deal with the burble.  Even a small suit can cause problems with a shorter bridle.  A Squirrel SkySnatch is a great all around Pilot Chute especially for wingsuiting but even for everyday use.

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into the SkySnatch PC. I'd be interested to if anyone has a setup of a wingsuit using a PISA Hornet as they have a bad rap for hard openings.

I've had one hard opening on it from something funky using a packer on a hop and pop during a canopy course (i'm sure it was body position :)) It was a PC in tow i believe.....opened....slam.....ouch. I know wingsuiting is a whole different ball game when it comes to the burble behind you though. I just want to get the right setup. My Hornet was a later model and they fixed their notorious hard openings using a larger slider. So I believe I might be ok there. I do love the canopy though.

From what i'm seeing though the swift does look like a very decent suit.

Right now I'm thinking SkyDive Chicago for a weekend roadtrip....after the Tiki Bar opens! I still have a few jump tix left there anyway.

Phoenix Fly shadow or phantom if you're going to buy (recommended).

Whatever you can generate your hands on if you're renting.

Not sure what a hornet is, but typically beginner and medium sized suits do fine with standard gear setup. If you want to rush to a larger size like an rbird3 or ATC you may consider upgrading your gear.

Of all the gear to upgrade, a semi stowless bag should be first.  The added benefit of a skysnatch is much less in my experience.

(edited)
2 hours ago, lyosha said:

Phoenix Fly shadow or phantom if you're going to buy (recommended).

Whatever you can generate your hands on if you're renting.

Not sure what a hornet is, but typically beginner and medium sized suits do fine with standard gear setup. If you want to rush to a larger size like an rbird3 or ATC you may consider upgrading your gear.

Of all the gear to upgrade, a semi stowless bag should be first.  The added benefit of a skysnatch is much less in my experience.

I have been vigilantly advising/monitoring effects of mods to standard skydiving gear over the years for people here. I will rank it based on this yearlong experience what works efficient; 1) Longer bridle 8-9" optimally also for studentsuits usage 2) A fresh pilotchute I advice Zpo material for consistancy and yes the Skysnatch indeed makes deployments more consistent as it doesnt woble in and out of burble area, so 1 and 2 can be done in one go by getting a skysnatch 3) Open corners in Rig main tray  4) Semistowless bag. A normal bag works just fine, if one leave some line slack in main tray and have fresh elastics all over and change them often. 

Finally all pieces must fit together. If you have a small Rig and pack a too large main in there, then at deploymenttime the PC can sometimes yank it out with a small twisting motion creating linetwists. The reserve, get it as big as can be fit, go for lightweight material so you get more sqft. Be safe.

Edited by birdynamnam
typo

(edited)
44 minutes ago, johnmatrix said:

I think a longer bridle is ideal but not 100% necessary. My vote for most helpful mod is the stowless/semi-stowless bag.

Second the thing about the bridle - it's nice but for small suit not crucial.

Open corners, (semi) stowless bag, Snatch PC - also nice to have but definitely not a must for a beginner.

For starters - do the FFC course and focus on good body position and good pitch - they have much more impact on openings than the gear. After you get some jumps under your belt  you can gradually do the gear changes

I have couple hundred jumps on the Hornet and maybe a couple of hard openings - you should be just fine with it as well.

Swift, Phantom - whichever you choose will be just fine. Swift will be a bit more powerful with more range but still easy to fly.

Edited by skow
  • Like 1

On 4/26/2019 at 5:06 AM, skow said:

Second the thing about the bridle - it's nice but for small suit not crucial.

Open corners, (semi) stowless bag, Snatch PC - also nice to have but definitely not a must for a beginner.

For starters - do the FFC course and focus on good body position and good pitch - they have much more impact on openings than the gear. After you get some jumps under your belt  you can gradually do the gear changes

I have couple hundred jumps on the Hornet and maybe a couple of hard openings - you should be just fine with it as well.

Swift, Phantom - whichever you choose will be just fine. Swift will be a bit more powerful with more range but still easy to fly.

STRONG ADVICE. You may HATE wingsuiting and while all the mods are needed if this is to become your thing, don't blow money away too soon... My .02 

• Like 1

(edited)
On 4/26/2019 at 1:23 AM, johnmatrix said:

I think a longer bridle is ideal but not 100% necessary. My vote for most helpful mod is the stowless/semi-stowless bag.

I've seen pilot chutes in tow from burble traps on tracking suits with OEM bridles. Let me repeat that, I've seen it occur with tracking suits. Even a student wingsuit has a larger burble than most tracking suits. The single most important thing on the list (assuming you're not jumping some highly loaded elliptical canopy) is a longer bridle. I'd get one ASAP if you want to get into WS. The standard 6' one will work for a bit early on, but the first time you pitch and get nothing, nothing, nothing, more nothing, you're going to piss yourself. It's not a fun experience.

Edited by Westerly
  • Like 2