1 1
Jak3slice

Aff footage? Is it frowned apon?

Question

So I did Aff 3,4 and 5. Once I forgot to ask for footage and the other two times there was no chip or camera was off. Little disappointed as I like to be able to see from outside view of things. Jumps went okay (always room for improvement). But my question is do instructors not like giving footage? Money wasn’t a concern or I wouldn’t have asked in first place. I’ll always hold these memories and it’s not that big of a deal but the first solo exit and some 360s would be nice to have. Of all malfunctions though cameras are my least concern. 

6 answers to this question

True, stuff happens and the focus is on your jump, not getting the camera footage. Still, at the DZ I'm at, I'm used to the idea that on most AFF style jumps, at least one of the instructors will always plan to have video. These days one expects to have video as a training tool that greatly improves feedback for the student. It is part of the whole teaching process.  All video gets uploaded to the computer system where students can review it (and bring a USB stick to download their own at their leisure).

So occasionally a student doesn't get video of a particular jump, but ideally there's a copy of every jump available to the student.

I give all my students footage of their jumps.  I find it helps them improve and learn from the video.  Of course sometimes there is a camera problem, but 99% of my students get their footage if they want it.

On 4/21/2019 at 11:07 PM, Jak3slice said:

Money wasn’t a concern or I wouldn’t have asked in first place.

You may want to consider hiring a videographer that is not an Instructor to focus specifically on video. 

11 hours ago, BIGUN said:

You may want to consider hiring a videographer that is not an Instructor to focus specifically on video. 

On 4/22/2019 at 10:31 AM, wolfriverjoe said:

It shouldn't be a problem. Just keep in mind that the instructor's focus is on YOU, not the camera. I can very easily see how any sort of issue on jumprun or in the door would take the focus off the camera, and it doesn't get turned on. 

Some instructors are great video flyers. Some...
Not so much. 

11 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Yeah that was the way to go for sure set footage. Instructors have a lot to deal with. Was glad I got aff 6 though gave my instructor a good tip for actually getting it.

its really nice to to look back and see how to improve. Super stoked on solo and coach jumps.

I usually record every jump and have no problem providing students with the video. I do let them know however, that the camera is my very lowest priority, and I make no promises regarding the footage. If you do want the video, it may be a good idea to ask your instructor before gearing up to make sure their camera is ready to go. Sometimes they are just not thinking about it, especially if they are busy and making a lot of jumps that day.  

It shouldn't be a problem. Just keep in mind that the instructor's focus is on YOU, not the camera. I can very easily see how any sort of issue on jumprun or in the door would take the focus off the camera, and it doesn't get turned on. 

Some instructors are great video flyers. Some...
Not so much.