yobnoc

I don't recall...

Just wanted to put this out there: Trump, the guy who, at one or more of his rallies, mocked Dr. Ford for not being able to recall minute details during her testimony re: Brett Kavanaugh, had over 30 instances of responses to Mueller's inquiry that were "I don't recall."

He's supposed to have the greatest memory of all time (his words).

It just makes me wonder about these die-hard trumpers who still look at him and go "Yep, that's my guy!"

Seriously, how do you determine what's a lie and what's true?  He lies about so much that his own staffers don't know how to proceed with his directives.

3 hours ago, yobnoc said:

Seriously, how do you determine what's a lie and what's true? 

Since there is only one president at a time - (It's not reasonable to compare the sitting president to a future president.)

We are forced to compare to the past . . .

For instance:

"I did NOT have sexual relations with that woman!"

Or, perhaps:

"Mission Accomplished!"

Or, even:

"I am NOT a crook!"

Last one - I promise - 

“If you like your health-care plan, you can keep it”

The answer to your question is simple - Besides the joke of "How can you tell when a politician is lying . . .  their lips are moving"

You have to wait and see.  Research and deduce.  Use critical thinking.

The last part would take being unbiased, for the most part, as the bias degrades the critical thinking ability.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Since there is only one president at a time - (It's not reasonable to compare the sitting president to a future president.)

We are forced to compare to the past . . .

For instance:

"I did NOT have sexual relations with that woman!"

Or, perhaps:

"Mission Accomplished!"

Or, even:

"I am NOT a crook!"

Last one - I promise - 

“If you like your health-care plan, you can keep it”

The answer to your question is simple - Besides the joke of "How can you tell when a politician is lying . . .  their lips are moving"

You have to wait and see.  Research and deduce.  Use critical thinking.

The last part would take being unbiased, for the most part, as the bias degrades the critical thinking ability.

That’s called false equivalence. Let’s play a game: you list every blatant and unrepentant lie that the last 3 presidents told, and I’ll list President* Trump’s blatant and unrepentant lies, and we’ll compare the list. If you can come up with more from the last 3 presidents combined then I can with Trump, I’ll concede that your assessment is fair and equitable. The odds would seem to be in your favor here, no?

3 minutes ago, yobnoc said:

That’s called false equivalence. Let’s play a game: you list every blatant and unrepentant lie that the last 3 presidents told, and I’ll list President* Trump’s blatant and unrepentant lies, and we’ll compare the list. If you can come up with more from the last 3 presidents combined then I can with Trump, I’ll concede that your assessment is fair and equitable. The odds would seem to be in your favor here, no?

What is the metric?

How false does it have to be?

3 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

What is the metric?

How false does it have to be?

Verifiable, and those which have never been readdressed. Unfortunately for you, President Obama re-addressed his statement about keeping your doctor. He admitted that he did not foresee the consequences that some Americans would face, and committed to finding a way to make it right. Can you point to one time that Trump has admitted he lied?

26 minutes ago, yobnoc said:

Verifiable, and those which have never been readdressed. Unfortunately for you, President Obama re-addressed his statement about keeping your doctor. He admitted that he did not foresee the consequences that some Americans would face, and committed to finding a way to make it right. Can you point to one time that Trump has admitted he lied?

Sure, if you can tell me when the commitment to make it right was completed, and those that lost their doctors were made whole again.

24 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Sure, if you can tell me when the commitment to make it right was completed, and those that lost their doctors were made whole again.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/president-obama-apologizes-to-americans-who-are-losing-their-health-insurance/2013/11/07/2306818e-4803-11e3-a196-3544a03c2351_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3f74948c7331

as for the second part, I cannot do that and you know it. But that’s sidetracking. President* trump has even gone so far as to say he’s never asked for forgiveness from god himself for anything in his life. Can you point out any hint of regret that trump has made for any of his blatant lies? Because I’m convinced based on all available evidence that Obama’s *one* lie that keeps getting parroted over and over was a statement that he believed to be true at the time and after reflection he realized and stated publicly that he was remorseful for the damage done to some individuals that it proved out to not be true for.

1 minute ago, yobnoc said:

I’m convinced based on all available evidence that Obama’s *one* lie that keeps getting parroted over and over was a statement that he believed to be true at the time and after reflection he realized and stated publicly that he was remorseful for the damage done to some individuals that it proved out to not be true for.

So , the one you agree with politically gets a pass - but the one you dislike doesn't get one.  Those passes are only for the elite.

Gotcha.

7 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

So , the one you agree with politically gets a pass - but the one you dislike doesn't get one.  Those passes are only for the elite.

ROFL.

Trump is a Billionaire from a Billionaire family. Obama was raised by a single mother. There is no version of the word elite that does not describe background and privilege of Donald Trump, and none that does describe that of Barack Obama until he got elected.

You guys throw these words around so much you forget the actually mean something.

(edited)
6 minutes ago, jakee said:

ROFL.

Trump is a Billionaire from a Billionaire family. Obama was raised by a single mother. There is no version of the word elite that does not describe background and privilege of Donald Trump, and none that does describe that of Barack Obama until he got elected.

You guys throw these words around so much you forget the actually mean something.

So, you agree with the rest then?

>>>So , the one you agree with politically gets a pass - but the one you dislike doesn't get one.

Edited by turtlespeed
Clarification -

44 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

So, you agree with the rest then?

>>>So , the one you agree with politically gets a pass - but the one you dislike doesn't get one.

No, because we’re talking about one pass vs how many, a hundred? A thousand? Thousands? There comes a point where people cannot be given the benefit of the doubt anymore. Trump lies like almost no-one else in politics and about everything whether important or not. Whatever passes he once had are long gone.

But good to know you agree that Trump is part of the true class of ruling elites, unlike Obama.

5 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

So , the one you agree with politically gets a pass - but the one you dislike doesn't get one. 

Well, it sounds like he’s acknowledging that statement was wrong. The original point wasn’t whether a president had ever lied, it was about quantity. 

Trump does win on quantity. 

Know you may think that as long as there is a single error in something you disagree with, there is no need to address the issues in whatever you agree with. Not sure demanding perfection before you change anything whatsoever is reasonable, especially because nothing is ever perfect. 

Wendy P. 

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

Well, it sounds like he’s acknowledging that statement was wrong. The original point wasn’t whether a president had ever lied, it was about quantity. 

Trump does win on quantity. 

Know you may think that as long as there is a single error in something you disagree with, there is no need to address the issues in whatever you agree with. Not sure demanding perfection before you change anything whatsoever is reasonable, especially because nothing is ever perfect. 

Wendy P. 

What is missing here is the understanding that I am not a trump fan.

Can't really stand the f####r - But he is still the better option from what we were given to choose from.

9 hours ago, yobnoc said:

The line of thought that all politicians lie is like saying all people catch colds, which is true. All people, however, don't catch pneumonia. In Trump's case, he doesn't have pneumonia. He has ebola, and he bleeds lies from every orifice.

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

But does not being a fan make it OK tonhave different goalposts for different people?

Wendy P. 

What I'm getting from that comment is that you think Hillary would have been a less offensive liar, and not as contrary to your tastes.  Hillary's lies would be more palatable to you.

The goalposts are the same.

31 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

What I'm getting from that comment is that you think Hillary would have been a less offensive liar, and not as contrary to your tastes.  Hillary's lies would be more palatable to you.

She certainly would have been more honest.  Trump is setting records for the most lies in a day by wide margins.  No one is a better liar than Trump, big league.

12 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Gotcha.

With a Trump there are some 9,500 lies to choose from.  He's way ahead on that metric. 

On 4/18/2019 at 10:45 PM, yobnoc said:

I don't see any Trumpists clamoring to take you up on that challenge. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Probably so - 

. . . but he still beat Hillary and more Americans are better for that than would have been better off had the election gone the other way. .

Which of course you have absolutely no evidence for, but I am sure it makes you feel good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SkyDekker said:

Which of course you have absolutely no evidence for, but I am sure it makes you feel good.

If you look for the worst - Be assured you will find it in some way.

If you look for the best - Be assured you will find it in some way.

Why do you refuse to look for the best?