2 2
gowlerk

Stupid firearm accident thread

Another dead 9 year old.

https://www.southbendtribune.com/news/local/nine-year-old-boy-dies-from-gunshot-wound-in-south-bend/article_ebcfdfb6-dfb4-11ea-a4f0-6fa8b8b0994a.html

Three year old injured by shooting herself

https://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-child-shot-in-atlanta-police-say/NWL22Z2S2JEEXMAYQK2H3TS7LU/

A couple different kids in one city with bullet wounds in their feet.

https://www.ktbs.com/news/shreveport-police-investigating-late-night-shooting/article_2695ac8e-e140-11ea-9f69-3f8fe50bfdef.html

8 yo girl hit in the neck by a ricochet from dad's gun at the range.

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/8/16/21371336/girl-grazed-ricocheting-bullet-shooting-range

A spree of children shot in Charlotte, the story is a little confusing but it seems the police and the reporters can't keep up with all the children wounded after finding cool toys.

https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/crime/charlotte-child-has-serious-injuries-after-shooting/275-6df17581-d1c9-4bd1-8c2a-1d48648cb551

Ok, that's enough for now. It took me ten whole minutes to find these and post links. Back to work now. It's summertime and the dying is easy.

"The National Rifle Association’s former second-in-command is breaking with the group’s orthodoxy and calling for universal background checks and so-called red flag laws in a new book assailing the organization as more focused on money and internal intrigue than the Second Amendment, while thwarting constructive dialogue on gun violence...

He describes the N.R.A.’s longtime chief executive, Wayne LaPierre, as a woefully inept manager, but also a skilled lobbyist with a deft touch at directing President Trump to support the group’s objectives, and who repeatedly reeled in the president’s flirtations with even modest gun control measures.

The book, “Inside the N.R.A.: A Tell-All Account of Corruption, Greed, and Paranoia Within the Most Powerful Political Group in America,” is to be published next week, the latest public calamity for an organization that has faced years of headlines detailing allegations of corruption, infighting and even its infiltration by a Russian agent."

I've been leaving this mostly alone for a while now. Busy summer and all. But this just popped up on the CNN front page. Not at the top because, well, a 3 year old dying of a self inflicted gunshot wound just isn't really news in America. I mean, it happens all the time right? But this one got a little special notice because......it happened during his birthday party.

https://us.cnn.com/2020/10/25/us/3-year-old-dies-birthday-gunshot-trnd/index.html

Ts and Ps of course..."Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of this tragic accident," the sheriff's office said in the release.

8 minutes ago, Westerly said:

play stupid games win stupid prizes. hold the parents accountable. your kid dies becasue he got a hold of your gun, you go to prison for negligent homicide. pretty simple case really.

True, America needs more prisoners to keep the corporate prison profits up anyway.

17 hours ago, gowlerk said:

True, America needs more prisoners to keep the corporate prison profits up anyway.

You dont think negligence resulting in someone's death is severe enough to warrant prison? There arent many crimes more serious than that.

1 minute ago, Westerly said:

You dont think negligence resulting in someone's death is severe enough to warrant prison? There arent many crimes more serious than that.

I can think of better ways to reduce the death toll from firearms among American toddlers. Which is the point of the thread.

Just now, gowlerk said:

I can think of better ways to reduce the death toll from firearms among American toddlers. Which is the point of the thread.

Sure, but prison is not about teaching lessons, it's about handing out consequences. If you end up in prison, the time for learning is long gone.

10 minutes ago, Westerly said:

Sure, but prison is not about teaching lessons, it's about handing out consequences. If you end up in prison, the time for learning is long gone.

I don't disagree, but if people were considering consequences in the first place, and the consequence of their kid being dead didn't make them second-guess their gun storage in the first place, the prospect of jail probably ain't gonna make them reconsider.  

57 minutes ago, Westerly said:

Hummm.....you seem to think that somehow along the the way i have disagreed with you. I have not. But again, punishment is not the point, and deterrence is not the point. That fact that guns are so pervasive in America that toddlers shooting themselves and each other is a regular thing is the point. Get it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Westerly said:

Sure, but prison is not about teaching lessons, it's about handing out consequences.

I don't really think there are any parents out there who are going to think "you know, I'm fine if my five year old blows his brains all over my wall.  But I don't want to go to JAIL!"

53 minutes ago, lippy said:

I don't disagree, but if people were considering consequences in the first place, and the consequence of their kid being dead didn't make them second-guess their gun storage in the first place, the prospect of jail probably ain't gonna make them reconsider.  

Just now, billvon said:

I don't really think there are any parents out there who are going to think "you know, I'm fine if my five year old blows his brains all over my wall.  But I don't want to go to JAIL!"

They think it 'won't happen to them'
They think their kids wouldn't do that.

They think the gun is in a safe place.

Or...

They simply don't think.

10 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Or...

They simply don't think.

I'm going to go with 'E - All of the above'.

15 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

It is simply Murphy's law. What can go wrong will go wrong.

Oh yeah.

Rule #1 for gun owners with kids:

Your kids know there are guns in the house.
Your kids know where they are. 
Your kids are interested in them (forbidden fruit rule).

There are ways to properly secure them. 

But just 'hiding them' in a 'good spot' is really foolish.

49 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Or...

They simply don't think.

They’re like two-thirds or skydivers, who would never make x mistake, or who are way above average canopy pilots. 
Wendy P. 

9 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Oh yeah.

Rule #1 for gun owners with kids:

Your kids know there are guns in the house.
Your kids know where they are. 
Your kids are interested in them (forbidden fruit rule).

There are ways to properly secure them. 

But just 'hiding them' in a 'good spot' is really foolish.

I know that guns and gun rights are important to you. I don't really understand why though, even though I do appreciate them as fine machines and even as tools when needed. In my life most of the people I know find that the easiest way to keep guns away from their children is to just not have any in the house. But a few people do have them and yes, they are secured in a gun safe separately from the ammo.