6 6
gowlerk

Stupid firearm accident thread

27 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

That's what happens when you flood your society with the toys of war. What should be fistfights or knife fights become gunfights.

It is also what happens when you allow a large portion of your society to fall into poverty. When you reduce the possibilities to a bare minimum.

On 8/8/2020 at 7:22 PM, turtlespeed said:

That is the democratic leadership in that area doing that.

The gap between the poor and the not-poor has increased almost monotonically since Reagan introduced,  and subsequent GOP administrations have embraced Voodoo Economics.

10 hours ago, piisfish said:

Which is, according to some, the only real democracy 

Interesting view.

I would say, it's more like "The only one that matters."  Which shows the stereotypical American arrogance.

Stereotypes are all built on a foundation of truth though.  

Lately we haven't done much to try to dissuade that image.

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

I would say, it's more like "The only one that matters."  Which shows the stereotypical American arrogance.

Stereotypes are all built on a foundation of truth though.  

Lately we haven't done much to try to dissuade that image.

Bullshit. Stereotypes are built on a perception of truth, not a foundation. Women aren't, in fact, inferior beings who care only about house and home. African-Americans are not, in fact, stupid and lazy.

These stereotypes are based on the conditions that people are in, not just on their innate qualities.

And the stereotype of America as the only democracy that matters (which is what I think you said) is also bullshit. It matters to the rest of the world only because we're the richest -- we play the capitalism game really well, and we started out with a large advantage (that country we took over, very rich in resources, with easier access to Europe and Asia than the southern hemisphere countries).

We matter most to us. We're most important to us, but that's not true of the rest of the world. Just as Earth would continue to exist without humanity, the rest of the world would continue to exist if the US were to implode. Might not be the same, but maybe that'd be an improvement.

Wendy P.

(edited)
48 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Women aren't, in fact, inferior beings who care only about house and home. African-Americans are not, in fact, stupid and lazy.

And evangelicals aren't  a bunch of drunken, mentally ill, xenophobic, misogynistic racists with sloped foreheads that spread disease and despise BBQ chicken, ribs, watermelon and other exotic ethnic foods - and that's a good thing since slabs of ribs fit nicely through mail slots!

Edited by Coreece

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

Bullshit. Stereotypes are built on a perception of truth, not a foundation. Women aren't, in fact, inferior beings who care only about house and home. African-Americans are not, in fact, stupid and lazy.

These stereotypes are based on the conditions that people are in, not just on their innate qualities.

And the stereotype of America as the only democracy that matters (which is what I think you said) is also bullshit. It matters to the rest of the world only because we're the richest -- we play the capitalism game really well, and we started out with a large advantage (that country we took over, very rich in resources, with easier access to Europe and Asia than the southern hemisphere countries).

We matter most to us. We're most important to us, but that's not true of the rest of the world. Just as Earth would continue to exist without humanity, the rest of the world would continue to exist if the US were to implode. Might not be the same, but maybe that'd be an improvement.

Wendy P.

It's not bullshit.

A percentage of members of every stereotype cause that stereotype to be conceived.  Otherwise it wouldn't exist.

Yes, I very much meant what I said.  Have you ever heard the term, "Ugly Americans?"  Do you think that hasn't been earned in at least a small percentage across the entire world?

Dos that mean that the entire populace, or even most of the population of the US is that way?  Probably not.  The way a lot of democrats and the foreign posters here would have you believe, not being the "Ugly American" is the exception, not the norm.

Well, then, given the fairly vast array of humanity, that would mean that all stereotypes are also incorrect, because there are (for example) well-behaved Americans. So a stereotype is not to be trusted, is it?

Or are you saying that you'll take them as true until proven otherwise? And what does it take? Because I can assure you that while some women do, in fact, want to focus on children (they're socialized to do that!), so do some men (and they aren't!), and there are women who aren't like that. Are they unnatural? Ahysterical?

Wendy P.

2 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:
1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

Wendy P.

It's not bullshit.

A percentage of members of every stereotype cause that stereotype to be conceived.  Otherwise it wouldn't exist.

I think the problem is with using the word "foundation" as if it was the rule rather than the exception. 

Also many stereotypes are also found in other groups that are not being stereotyped with those attributes.  Take for example jokes about blacks liking BBQ chicken, ribs and watermelon.  Practically everyone likes those things, but it's only "funny" because they are black.  And that's pretty much what all sterotypes tend to do - to exploit differences.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coreece said:

Also many stereotypes are also found in other groups that are not being stereotyped with those attributes.  Take for example jokes about blacks liking BBQ chicken, ribs and watermelon.  Practically everyone likes those things, but it's only "funny" because they are black.  And that's pretty much what all sterotypes tend to do - to exploit differences.

Much better put than I did. Thanks.

Wendy P.

7 hours ago, Coreece said:

I think the problem is with using the word "foundation" as if it was the rule rather than the exception. 

You are right.  I shouldn't have used "foundation"

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

Best part "A towel is stuffed between his legs and a printed out copy of the constitution is crumpled on the edge of the photo." Damn if that doesn't sound like a trump supporter.

8 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Best part "A towel is stuffed between his legs and a printed out copy of the constitution is crumpled on the edge of the photo." Damn if that doesn't sound like a trump supporter.

Followed by

"The guy posted through the incident as he bled. “God’s caliber [.45] went through my scrotum, mattress, boxspring, and floor."  "

Yep.  Gotta be a Trump supporter.

45 minutes ago, billvon said:

Followed by

"The guy posted through the incident as he bled. “God’s caliber [.45] went through my scrotum, mattress, boxspring, and floor."  "

Yep.  Gotta be a Trump supporter.

Since his fatherhood days are clearly over and he's a trump supporter. Its actually a feel good story! It should have been posted in the "How about some good news for a change!!" thread.

Another dead 9 year old.

https://www.southbendtribune.com/news/local/nine-year-old-boy-dies-from-gunshot-wound-in-south-bend/article_ebcfdfb6-dfb4-11ea-a4f0-6fa8b8b0994a.html

Three year old injured by shooting herself

https://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-child-shot-in-atlanta-police-say/NWL22Z2S2JEEXMAYQK2H3TS7LU/

A couple different kids in one city with bullet wounds in their feet.

https://www.ktbs.com/news/shreveport-police-investigating-late-night-shooting/article_2695ac8e-e140-11ea-9f69-3f8fe50bfdef.html

8 yo girl hit in the neck by a ricochet from dad's gun at the range.

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/8/16/21371336/girl-grazed-ricocheting-bullet-shooting-range

A spree of children shot in Charlotte, the story is a little confusing but it seems the police and the reporters can't keep up with all the children wounded after finding cool toys.

https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/crime/charlotte-child-has-serious-injuries-after-shooting/275-6df17581-d1c9-4bd1-8c2a-1d48648cb551

Ok, that's enough for now. It took me ten whole minutes to find these and post links. Back to work now. It's summertime and the dying is easy.

"The National Rifle Association’s former second-in-command is breaking with the group’s orthodoxy and calling for universal background checks and so-called red flag laws in a new book assailing the organization as more focused on money and internal intrigue than the Second Amendment, while thwarting constructive dialogue on gun violence...

He describes the N.R.A.’s longtime chief executive, Wayne LaPierre, as a woefully inept manager, but also a skilled lobbyist with a deft touch at directing President Trump to support the group’s objectives, and who repeatedly reeled in the president’s flirtations with even modest gun control measures.

The book, “Inside the N.R.A.: A Tell-All Account of Corruption, Greed, and Paranoia Within the Most Powerful Political Group in America,” is to be published next week, the latest public calamity for an organization that has faced years of headlines detailing allegations of corruption, infighting and even its infiltration by a Russian agent."