6 6
gowlerk

Stupid firearm accident thread

Seven YO shoots 11 YO, but it happened in Chicago so does anyone care?

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/2020/2/14/21138628/11-year-old-boy-shot-by-7-year-old-sister-lawndale

Meanwhile, also in Chicogoland, two more child victims and a child perp.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/2020/2/14/21138628/11-year-old-boy-shot-by-7-year-old-sister-lawndale

Edited by gowlerk

3 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Wow - your guys' sense of superiority is amazing!!

Superiority? How so?

I lived in trailers as a kid, the attraction of violence, sexual abuse, gunfire, and tornadoes is quite real.

I just thought we were poor rednecks. Pretty much the main reasons I left that environment for an education and safety.

Mock all you want, it was real enough for me.

You must clearly be superior to that environment to not realize it and dismiss us as righteous.

I felt it a success to break that pattern in my family. Very few have.

On 2/11/2020 at 4:44 AM, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Bill,

Nine years ago, there was a shooting at the Clackamas Town Center here in Oregon.  A young guy with an AR-15.

A guy with a concealed firearm ( legal carry permit ) cowered behind a column and did not fire a shot.

He later said that he did not fire out of his fear of hitting innocent bystanders.

I think he simply sh** his pants and was too scared to do anything but hide.

Jerry Baumchen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clackamas_Town_Center_shooting

My first boss told the story of his first gun battle. Rhodesia and during the war it was compulsory call up. So he would have been late teens at the time.

They were ambushed and he ran and hid behind a tree about an inch in diameter, and that was with training and being armed.

On a similar note though and somewhat funny, our family dog was a Doberman that used to travel with my dad. On a few occasions he was ambushed and Lisa (dog) would jump out and attack the terrorists. Many simply dropped their guns and ran out of fear, although she did eventually get shot in the leg.

2 hours ago, nigel99 said:

My first boss told the story of his first gun battle. Rhodesia and during the war it was compulsory call up. So he would have been late teens at the time.

They were ambushed and he ran and hid behind a tree about an inch in diameter, and that was with training and being armed.

On a similar note though and somewhat funny, our family dog was a Doberman that used to travel with my dad. On a few occasions he was ambushed and Lisa (dog) would jump out and attack the terrorists. Many simply dropped their guns and ran out of fear, although she did eventually get shot in the leg.

Ugh - I would much rather you had stopped at ". . .ran out of fear," 

I have a huge soft spot for animals.  I'd rather hear of humans being shot than the dog.

It's probably wrong to feel that way - but it's true.

On 2/17/2020 at 10:38 PM, normiss said:

I felt it a success to break that pattern in my family. Very few have.

Ya, while poor blacks are corralled into inner city pens, poor whites are corralled into trailer parks in the suburbs where they at least get access to finer schools.

Hopefully Bloomberg is serious about making amends and actually doing something for the black community.  But I think it's all the same democrat bullshit - fool me once and all that jazz. . .

Edited by Coreece

22 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Ya, while poor blacks are corralled into inner city pens, poor whites are corralled into trailer parks in the suburbs where they at least get access to finer schools.

Hopefully Bloomberg is serious about making amends and actually doing something for the black community.  But I think it's all the same democrat bullshit - fool me once and all that jazz. . .

6th through 10th grade were in schools with poor blacks and poor whites.

Prior to that was military base, after was Illinois farming areas with no blacks and a LOT of racism.

6th - 10th took zero effort to get straight A's, 10th on took minimal effort.

Outside of the added racism I never really saw any quality of public school after the 6th grade, there was zero challenge.

Thankfully I aced my ASVAB tests and left that nonsense behind for what turned out to be MIT led and created computer education in the Navy. But I was just lucky on timing. Very few places were teaching mainframe computing engineering.

I do realize inner city poverty traps exist, but they aren't limited to one minority.

Taking an entitled white dismissive attitude doesn't serve them well either.

We can, and should, do more as a society to try and see that everyone succeeds.

Equal treatment for all. Improving everyone's chances at a better life improves everyone's chances at a better life. It's what a great society should do.

Though, again, I'm most likely expecting too much.

Which is why I keep pushing myself.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Neither do the Dems.

Maybe if they just all talk for another 50 years something will happen. . .

Or the continued dismissal of all efforts, like you seem to prefer, will serve the same result.

Doing nothing does exactly that.

Keep up the hatred, it does at least provide results.

Not any sort of positive ones though.

Thanks for successfully drawing me into wasting time and efforts again. Someday I'll learn as I always do.

7 minutes ago, normiss said:
20 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Neither do the Dems.

Maybe if they just all talk for another 50 years something will happen. . .

Or the continued dismissal of all efforts, like you seem to prefer, will serve the same result.

Doing nothing does exactly that.

Keep up the hatred, it does at least provide results.

Not any sort of positive ones though.

Dude seriously, what in the actual fuck are you talking about?  You smoking again?

7 minutes ago, normiss said:

Thanks for successfully drawing me into wasting time and efforts again. Someday I'll learn as I always do.

I mean wtf do you want me to discuss, your straight A's in 6th grade?  Good for you!

As you say - Jebus fucking christ. . .get over yourself. 

Edited by Coreece

I think the issue is if you wait until you have the perfect solution before doing anything, then nothing ever gets done. Because even if there were a perfect solution on Tuesday, things would have changed enough by Wednesday to make it obsolete. 

Just look at any technical project over the last 50 years. Anyone who put a stick in the sand on technology was out of date within months; but always shifting to the latest is a never-ending cost sink, and then the cost sink runneth over. 

Doesn’t mean do any half-assed thing, just define and limit the scope, and accept less than perfection. Remember that the project is to be implemented with the resources and personnel you actually have, not the ones you wish you had. Any decent project manager would help. 

Wendy P. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Coreece said:

Dude seriously, what in the actual fuck are you talking about?  You smoking again?

I mean wtf do you want me to discuss, your straight A's in 6th grade?  Good for you!

As you say - Jebus fucking christ. . .get over yourself. 

There is some serious anger in there . . .

6 hours ago, wmw999 said:

I think the issue is if you wait until you have the perfect solution before doing anything, then nothing ever gets done. Because even if there were a perfect solution on Tuesday, things would have changed enough by Wednesday to make it obsolete. 

Just look at any technical project over the last 50 years. Anyone who put a stick in the sand on technology was out of date within months; but always shifting to the latest is a never-ending cost sink, and then the cost sink runneth over. 

Doesn’t mean do any half-assed thing, just define and limit the scope, and accept less than perfection. Remember that the project is to be implemented with the resources and personnel you actually have, not the ones you wish you had. Any decent project manager would help. 

Wendy P. 

EXCEPT . . . Computers are logical and linear.

People will deliberately undermine your efforts.  Not only will they undermine your efforts, but a lot of times, they will do whatever is the most counter productive, and destructive action, just to sabotage their own life, and those around them. 

It is a confidence thing, from what I was taught.  They would rather live in squalor than take a chance on change.

NO project manager can oversee a project that has that many anti-progress variables in it.