6 6
gowlerk

Stupid firearm accident thread

Enough of the thread drift. Here's a story about a bystander killed before X-mas while Americans engage in their shootout pastime.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/crime/bystander-killed-after-argument-erupts-into-gunfire-in-red-bird-dallas-police-say/287-2922ec54-ab42-4223-afa2-caf1ac3d3911

Edited by gowlerk

On 12/24/2019 at 10:29 AM, BIGUN said:

But, if someone on here said, "Snowflake Muslims;" they'd have islamophobia or be a Muslim hater. And yes; I am offended. Around 80% of the world has some form of higher belief and 90% of Americans are Christian. How about the other 10-20% of you that have no belief system - sit down and shut the fuck up about religion. 

Might be the reason believers are feeling a bit put upon is because, finally, they can be put upon publicly  and without serious repercussions. Non-believers still can't get elected and must hold hands and pretend on occasion, just to be sports, but we can speak out now without fear of being tied to a chair and burned.

Sorry Brother, it ain't us, it's you. Atheist's don't give a damn what benign things believers do to make your day's brighter we just do not want to pay for it, have our, and our friends, basic human rights degraded by it, have it forced down the throats of succeeding generations or have it crammed in our faces from every direction. 

What is very odd is that I have a couple of friends whom I value intensely and trust beyond measure who are firm believers. They don't ever question my non-belief; not even a coy God Bless you. I give the same respect in return.

I'm thinking it's the internet effect: were we all in person it would be never a discouraging word, or at least words without vitriol. But we're not and, to the point, we all knew it in advance of logging on and typing our posts. Just how it is, I reckon.

Please have a great Holiday sharing with your friends and family or however it is you prefer the enjoy the moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Joe,

Mostly true.  However, Trump did get elected.

Jerry Baumchen

No one self identifying as an atheist, I should have said. But even that tag isn't really descriptive given that it implies we somehow opted out, perhaps temporarily. I'm just not a part of the ruse so, in that sense, I'm no more an atheist than I'm a AQanoner.

On 12/26/2019 at 5:26 PM, turtlespeed said:

Or Truffled for that matter.

Truffles grow in the soil in southern Europe. The Trifle is an english dessert made from a mixture of thick custard, fruit, sponge cake, jelly and whipped cream. I prefer Trifles over truffles. :)

• Like 1

On 12/25/2019 at 1:42 PM, JoeWeber said:

Sorry Brother, it ain't us, it's you. Atheist's don't give a damn what benign things believers do to make your day's brighter we just do not want to pay for it, have our, and our friends, basic human rights degraded by it, have it forced down the throats of succeeding generations or have it crammed in our faces from every direction.

Hypocrisy. If someone went to a foreign country made up of little brown people dominate in catholicism and said how much they hated it - the left would call them "hater" and encourage them to be more diverse and understanding of others. If someone went to a city that happened to have a gay pride rally and said how much they hated it - the left would call them "Trans or Homo phobic" and encourage them to be more diverse and understanding of others. 

You find yourself in a country that is predominantly Christian and it suddenly becomes "forced down the throats of succeeding generations or have it crammed in our faces from every direction." Or, Gowlerk says "Snowflake Christians" but, no one encourages him to be more diverse and understanding of others. The billboards made me do it.     

"What is very odd is that I have a couple of friends whom I value intensely and trust beyond measure who are firm believers." "But, I have friends who are black?"

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Hypocrisy. If someone went to a foreign country made up of little brown people dominate in catholicism and said how much they hated it - the left would call them "hater" and encourage them to be more diverse and understanding of others.

That's a two-fer: False equivalency and bullshit. First off there ain't no left in the same sense there is a right. About the only thing that we have in common is the smell of our socks.

Now someone might say they hate what the religion is doing to the people in Prayeristan but we of the smelly sock brigade wouldn't be saying we hate the country or the people.

47 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

If someone went to a city that happened to have a gay pride rally and said how much they hated it - the left would call them "Trans or Homo phobic" and encourage them to be more diverse and understanding of others. 

Absolutely true. Why? Well, standing up for the civil liberties of your fellow citizens is right thing to do. Actually, it's the left thing to do. The Right thing is voting for callous assholes who will appoint judges who will take rights away from those held in disfavor by the currently popular deity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

Truffles grow in the soil in southern Europe. The Trifle is an english dessert made from a mixture of thick custard, fruit, sponge cake, jelly and whipped cream. I prefer Trifles over truffles. :)

Lots of berries in mine, and no jelly.  The cake is soaked in sherry.

trifle.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BIGUN said:

If someone went to a city that happened to have a gay pride rally and said how much they hated it - the left would call them "Trans or Homo phobic" and encourage them to be more diverse and understanding of others. 

Oh get over it. Wake me up when court houses have 'Thou shalt be FABulous!' written on the walls and you might have a point. Until then, stop being such a snowflake.

3 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Or, Gowlerk says "Snowflake Christians" but, no one encourages him to be more diverse and understanding of others.

Now to be clear and for one more time. I have no problem with anyone's beliefs except for when they think those beliefs make it okay to trample upon the rights of others. When I use the term "snowflake Christians" I am speaking of those who are offended by another person beliefs, or even worse, another person lack of beliefs creating a situation where they must accept. Some Christians in the US seem to be having a hard time accepting that not everyone who holds power is the same as them culturally. I know that it is even worse in many countries for non-believers, but that is not where we are speaking of. I am tolerant of all religious beliefs. I am not and will not become tolerant of bigotry. I am understanding of bigots. I understand both the motivation and the effects of bigotry. Just because I understand does not mean that I will quietly accept.

Let me just add that I am VERY grateful to live in a society that allows me to speak out. I am fully aware that there are many places in this vale of tears that holds us all where I would be quickly killed if I were foolish enough to speak my mind.

Edited by gowlerk

5 hours ago, kallend said:

Lots of berries in mine, and no jelly.  The cake is soaked in sherry.

You sir, are both a good and evil man.  I could claim at least one of those for a feast. Think I'll head down to the White Lion Pub tonight. 

1 minute ago, BIGUN said:

Why use it at all, Brother? First shot across the bow and all that. We're good. 

Mostly as a defense mechanism. The whole "snowflake" thing was started as a way to insult liberals. Almost like the "cuck" nonsense. I use it as a form of turnabout.

On 12/28/2019 at 3:04 PM, BIGUN said:
On 12/25/2019 at 7:42 PM, JoeWeber said:

Hypocrisy. If someone went to a foreign country made up of little brown people dominate in catholicism and said how much they hated it - the left would call them "hater" and encourage them to be more diverse and understanding of others. If someone went to a city that happened to have a gay pride rally and said how much they hated it - the left would call them "Trans or Homo phobic" and encourage them to be more diverse and understanding of others. 

You find yourself in a country that is predominantly Christian and it suddenly becomes "forced down the throats of succeeding generations or have it crammed in our faces from every direction." Or, Gowlerk says "Snowflake Christians" but, no one encourages him to be more diverse and understanding of others. The billboards made me do it.     

"What is very odd is that I have a couple of friends whom I value intensely and trust beyond measure who are firm believers." "But, I have friends who are black?"

Fist Bump. . .

On 12/28/2019 at 9:04 AM, BIGUN said:

Hypocrisy. If someone went to a foreign country made up of little brown people dominate in catholicism and said how much they hated it - the left would call them "hater" and encourage them to be more diverse and understanding of others.

Someone like who? The only people I can think of in our society who might do such a thing are evangelical Christians. I have heard many of them express great dislike of the Catholic church. It sure as heck wouldn't be atheists. I don't see any point here. This all goes back to the current "freedom of religion" movement. Which in rightwing circles just means freedom to discriminate because you believe god wants you to or some other bullshit justification.

Edited by gowlerk
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 2:51 AM, SkyDekker said:

I don't think that. I think that the ease of acquiring combined with the ease of carrying firearms leads to an abundance of having this tool available which leads to a lot of use and misuse of this tool.

I disagree. There are societies with higher gun ownership than the USA. As someone whose travelled a fair bit, USA television is far more violent than any of the other countries I’ve visited. Americans glorify violence in a manner that many others do not. From the excessive violence on TV, the preferential treatment at airports to military personnel I think it runs deep in the American psych. By the age of 14 the average American child has apparently seen in excess of 11000 murders on tv. 

It is NOT guns. I grew up in Africa and a very large hunting culture. You were taught that you killed to eat, guns were dangerous and you NEVER pointed a gun at another human being. I suspect a fairly large part of rural USA has similar values. I’ve never looked at the stats, but I would guess most gun crime happens in urban rather than country areas, even if you do it per capita or whatever measure levels it out. If course Bubba and his moonshine contributes to accidental gun accidents, but that’s pretty universal the world over

• Like 1

Just now, Stumpy said:

Not really, no.

Well, Bubba and his moonshine contribute to stupid shit pretty much the world over. And in parts of the world, guns are, in fact, tools. We only seem to glorify them to tools of “freedom” rather than killing in the US. 

Wendy P. 

May I suggest a religious alternative?

Universalism.

Many Universalists are nominally “people of the book” (jews, christians and muslims), but they don’t take god all that seriously. U’s cheerfully debate - for long hours - whether God is male or female, or black or white or blue. Some Universalists don’t even believe that god exists! But U’s respectfully listen to major prophets from most religions.

The best part about being a Universalists is enjoying ALL the religious holidays. If Hindus have a festival, U’s help the Hindus celebrate an stick around for snacks!

If Pastafairians have a festival, U’s help them celebrate and stick around for spaghetti afterwards!

If Sikhs have a festival, U’s help the Sikhs celebrate and stick around for lunch afterwards!

The best part about being a Universalist is all the free food!