6 6
gowlerk

Stupid firearm accident thread

2 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

In all fairness, it isn't the tools, Americans have clearly shown they are unable to deal with the responsibility. It would appear that Americans are pre-disposed to be murderous criminals. That is the only other option considering the firearms have nothing to do with it.

so whats your take on the why? Why is it that "we Americans" are more pre-disposed to commit murder? I have a few ideas, but I really want to hear it from you. Obviously you have some passion on the topic...

48 minutes ago, timski said:

so whats your take on the why? Why is it that "we Americans" are more pre-disposed to commit murder? I have a few ideas, but I really want to hear it from you. Obviously you have some passion on the topic...

I don't think that. I think that the ease of acquiring combined with the ease of carrying firearms leads to an abundance of having this tool available which leads to a lot of use and misuse of this tool.

1 hour ago, timski said:

Why is it that "we Americans" are more pre-disposed to commit murder?

Because you are human. There is nothing unusual about the murder rate in America except that if you have a killing machine handy a simple assault can easily turn deadly in a hurry.

1 hour ago, timski said:

You put a LOT of faith in our justice system! You do understand the corruption with politicians and them funding the jail systems, right??? Tip of the iceberg as far as corruption go's, but you get the gist... 

I do get it - I wish more would.

I do NOT put faith in the justice system.

But I also do not put faith in believing that the government wouldn't turn into a tyrant either.  Is it probable?  Probably not.  Is it possible - Well, yes.  Its happening in places around the world as I type this.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Yesterday's dumbass in the grocery store:

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/local/pascocounty/man-accidentally-shoots-himself-inside-publix/67-e69c68a9-40fe-4d4a-a0e2-162120550e70

And an unknown accidental idiot:

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/local/pascocounty/man-accidentally-shoots-himself-inside-publix/67-e69c68a9-40fe-4d4a-a0e2-162120550e70

And another dead toddler from Thursday:

https://www.ktre.com/2019/05/03/lufkin-police-release-name-year-old-boy-who-died-after-accidental-shooting/

The local police are asking for you to keep the family in your prayers. So if you pray here is your chance to do something meaningful.

Perhaps you could send them some Vibes

1 hour ago, timski said:

Because thoughts and prayers are worth there weight in... 

Positive vibes I can get behind.

Have a non violent day.  

Hey, no violence in this thread. These are all about the "accidents". You know, just like slipping and falling. Or dropping a glass and breaking it. Only with larger consequences because they involve killing machines. No one meant anyone any harm here. It's just the way shit happens sometimes.

10 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Hey, no violence in this thread. These are all about the "accidents". You know, just like slipping and falling. Or dropping a glass and breaking it. Only with larger consequences because they involve killing machines. No one meant anyone any harm here. It's just the way shit happens sometimes.

Accidents like this?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/12/11/man-charged-dui-crash-kills-four-children/2273598002/

Or was that criminal behaviour?

12 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

In my opinion, we need to fix both.  The one I just posted takes precedence.

Then start a thread about it. Society, even American society, is actively engaged it fighting against impaired driving. There are many ways you can help.

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Both.

In Florida, it appears to depend on who gets killed.

When my best friend was killed on his motorcycle, the drunk and stoned stripper that ran over him only got 10 years.

PROBATION.

Family man with kids in the car, killed by DUI manslaughter while changing a flat?

The killer got life.

Apparently hard core bikers aren't so important. Drunk, purse full of weed and illegal prescription drugs, nah, nothing to see here.

(edited)
On 5/5/2019 at 5:46 PM, turtlespeed said:

Have you ever seen a government overreach and abuse its citizens after they have been disarmed?

Looks kinda like this: 

Were they going to shoot the armored vehicle and stop that from happening?

Edit:  Besides, there are already people in the US driving their cars into protesters and we are  legally allowed to be armed.

Edited by DJL

(edited)

Today's stupid wounding is a little different. I'm didn't even know a "black powder revolver" was a thing.

https://www.yourerie.com/news/local-news/woman-accidentally-shot-in-crawford-county/1988895165

Is that the kind of firearm Steve Earl mentions as "a cap and ball Colt" in The Devil's Right Hand?

Edited by gowlerk

10 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Today's stupid wounding is a little different. I'm didn't even know a "black powder revolver" was a thing.

https://www.yourerie.com/news/local-news/woman-accidentally-shot-in-crawford-county/1988895165

Is that the kind of firearm Steve Earl mentions as "a cap and ball Colt" in The Devil's Right Hand?

As usual with guns, the best answer is 'it depends'. 

The old "cap & ball" revolvers were a 'thing' from the mid-1800s until just after the Civil War. Same basic concept as muzzle loader rifles. Pour the powder in the chamber, place the bullet and use the ram rod (lever located under the barrel) to push it into place. Put a cap on the back and away you go. There's a good scene in "Quigley Down Under" where the Scotsman is trying (and failing badly) to load one.
Modern ones are readily available. 

However, black powder was the only propellant until about 1900. Smokeless wasn't developed until then. So all of the old 'Cowboy' guns (primarily the Colt Peacemaker) were cartridge black powder. 

On 4/16/2019 at 8:39 PM, gowlerk said:

There are so many. I'm starting a place to put them. No need to pin it because it will probably always be near the top.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/16/us/diaper-bag-gun-death/index.html

A very small price to pay for my right to “Belong to a well regulated militia”.  And the fact that more Americans are gunned down by our nation’s toddlers than gunned down by terrorist shouldn’t concern anyone.

On 5/10/2019 at 5:02 PM, jclalor said:

A very small price to pay for my right to “Belong to a well regulated militia”.  And the fact that more Americans are gunned down by our nation’s toddlers than gunned down by terrorist shouldn’t concern anyone.

"Shouldn't concern" is a bit far - 

The cost of not impinging on our rights is the trade off.

On 5/10/2019 at 6:02 PM, jclalor said:

I've long been confused as to why the "well regulated" part is entirely ignored.

1 hour ago, normiss said:

I've long been confused as to why the "well regulated" part is entirely ignored.

Largely because the term 'well regulated' is misunderstood. I doesn't mean 'subject to lots of rules and regulations', or at least it didn't when it was written.

I find it confusing why the term 'the people' (as in 'the right of the people') is often ignored.

16 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Largely because the term 'well regulated' is misunderstood. I doesn't mean 'subject to lots of rules and regulations', or at least it didn't when it was written.

I find it confusing why the term 'the people' (as in 'the right of the people') is often ignored.

I'm sure well regulated has a lot to do with personal responsibility.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose. -Supreme Court