1 1
Elpnor

Speaking Altimeter

Don't disregard the VOG. It's great. Very accurate and easy to use. I've been jumping mine for months and just love it. And the developers are skydivers. And, other than being a user I have no connection with the company. Just a satisfied user.

Every review I've read on the Vog has been positive, and I don't mean to disparage it as a quality voice altimeter. I don't doubt it's a well made device.  I was just wondering if there's another one coming down the pike that I'll be able to compare it to, or if I should just pull the trigger and buy this one.  At 400 its a tidy sum.

6 hours ago, Elpnor said:

Are there any other manufacturers working on a speaking audible besides vog?  I like the concept, I'm just not sure I'd buy one from a start up that doesn't have experience with altimeters.  I'd much rather buy one with say LB initials before it.

Even if its LB it's not necessarily their domain.  They seem to be tied to the tried and true not the more technically advanced.  Long battery life as opposed to needing a usb recharge. Multiple confusing button pushes compared to a smartphone configuration.  

It's just a period of change in skydiving as tech enters and new players emerge.  If you see something you like see if you can demo it or something and try it out.  These new little startups could soon be the major players in a little while.

(edited)

Just for your info, L&B is a 'start up' by most definitions of the term. They are not some massive corporation with 25,000 employees in four countries or something like that. They are a small company the same as is with most skydiving accessory manufacturers. The VOG is a solid product and there is no reason I've seen that would make me question whether the device is safe to use. An audible is supposed to only serve as a back-up anyway. Your primary means of altitude awareness is supposed to be a visual altimeter.

Edited by 20kN