3 3
JerryBaumchen

Hey Lisa, you out there?

Hi, Jerry!

Still here, mostly just lurking these days.

I will wait for the unveiling.  As of right now, I'm not feeling it, but I think I said the same thing about the C7,  but then I saw one in person and fell in love with it.  I've already put over 100,000 miles on my '14 convertible Stingray.

I'm sure it will be a beautiful car, but will it really be a Corvette?  The iconic Vette is sleek, with a long front and short ass.  Will it be the death knoll of the brand (America's Sports Car that is affordable), or will the C8 (price-point) skyrocket it into supercar status?  Right now, another negative for me is that apparently there will not be a convertible.

Never say never, but...

Well, if the article is correct, this is going to be a 'different' Corvette. And it sounds like they are going to continue to produce the 'real' Corvette. 

I'd guess that the mid-engine version is trying to achieve 'supercar' status, competing with stuff like the Ford GT and Porsche 918. I'd also guess that the price will be in their neighborhood too (well into 6 figures).

The Corvette has long been the price/performance bargain when compared to supercars with comparable performance, (which cost several times as much). And I can't think of a current supercar that is not a mid-engine. So to me, it just seems logical for the Corvette to transition to a mid-engine.

To me, a Corvette is a two seat single purpose sports car. The mid-engine concept fits just fine.

That autocar article is the first I have seen to speculate about keeping both C7 and C8 in production at the same time, so I am not sure that would actually happen.

I go back and forth about buying another sports car. It is hard for me to justify owning a car that can't be used as intended without breaking the law or at least driving like an asshole :). I tracked my old sports car a few times and it was a lot of fun, but on the street it was often mildly frustrating to use only 20-30% of its capability.

Plus I'm 46, and there is the cliche of owning a Corvette as an older white guy, but I can get over that.

1 hour ago, SethInMI said:

To me, a Corvette is a two seat single purpose sports car. The mid-engine concept fits just fine.

That autocar article is the first I have seen to speculate about keeping both C7 and C8 in production at the same time, so I am not sure that would actually happen.

I go back and forth about buying another sports car. It is hard for me to justify owning a car that can't be used as intended without breaking the law or at least driving like an asshole :). I tracked my old sports car a few times and it was a lot of fun, but on the street it was often mildly frustrating to use only 20-30% of its capability.

Plus I'm 46, and there is the cliche of owning a Corvette as an older white guy, but I can get over that.

Bolding mine.

Get a Porsche. Then everyone expects you to drive like an asshole. :P

Plus they have a back seat (sort of anyway) and are 'more practical'.*

I've got a 928. I'm on one of the online forums. 90% (+) of the owners are 'old white guys.' 
I can drive it and enjoy it, without breaking too many laws...
Much...

Most of the time.

* - The back seat in a Porsche is a joke. Common saying is that it's for "Kids, groceries and people you don't like very much." But the 928 is a hatchback and the rear seats fold down. I can put all I need for a weekend at the DZ in it and have room to spare. 

38 minutes ago, ryoder said:

<BMW drivers are assholes.picture>

A few weeks ago my friends and I were chatting about self driving cars, and the idea came up that more expensive cars will be able to self drive more aggressively due to a more sophisticated / powerful sensor suite that will allow them to detect and anticipate other cars movements more effectively.

The logical conclusion was that in the future, BMW cars will still drive like assholes, even when the driver is a computer.

I used to have a 1975 Porsche 914 2.0. I thought that thing was badass. Very low center of gravity, with a mid-engine, and front and rear trunks, and manual transmission. It handled sharp curves much better than most, and even with a VW 4 cylinder engine, it could go 115 mph easy. Sure wish I'd kept it, but I was single at the time and having 2 vehicles while living in an apartment was a pain in the ass sometimes.

I think most likely when I get a car for just tooling around in, it will be an older / classic car or maybe a retro-kit car. The fun of not pulling the trigger on a purchase like that is you get to imagine yourself in any of your options, so plenty of daydreaming without actually having to spend any money.

3 hours ago, oldwomanc6 said:

Counting down in days, now!

Sounds like you are warming up to the mid-engine idea. :) 
When you buy one, I'll come over and go for a ride. (Well probably not, but it'd be tempting, even though I think I'm about 6 states away)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SethInMI said:

Sounds like you are warming up to the mid-engine idea. :) 
When you buy one, I'll come over and go for a ride. (Well probably not, but it'd be tempting, even though I think I'm about 6 states away)

Meh. It wouldn't take her long to get to you. Not in that car.
:P

• Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 10:43 PM, oldwomanc6 said:

Counting down in days, now!

It looks amazing. Base model under 60k with 495hp. I want one. Of course I wanted the c7 when it came out, but didn't buy one, so I probably won't buy one of these either. :)  Lisa, I'll have to live vicariously through you...

Related image 

It is, as I predicted, an absolutely  beautiful car, but there are way too many things unresolved  to buy the first MY of this generation.

I bought a first  MY of both the C6 and C7 new, and still have both.  250,000 miles on the '05, and 111,000 miles on the '14.  Both of which have statistically belied the thought that the first MY  of any car is crap, as does all the posting on the  Corvette Forum (where,  you know, there would be a heavy bad weight of negative posting).

We will still see how this plays out in the coming months/years.  The starting price point is surprising, however.  I thought it would be higher (understatement of mine for the year).  Glad to see they aren't pricing it out of the demo right out of the gate.

So, I will also have to live vicariously through the folks of the Corvette Forum.  :D  

(edited)
On 7/19/2019 at 5:45 AM, SethInMI said:

Base model under 60k with 495hp.

This conversation is not that different than the Harley forums. Since retiring a few years ago; I've had the ability to ride across the US - roughly 35 - 40K miles per year. Been riding Harleys since 1980. Bought my first for $1,800.00 and thought that would financially break this then young soldier. Would pay off and buy a new one every 2-3 years. Am on my 12th Harley. Bought the then new 2015 HD Road Glide "Rushmore Project"  103" CI engine for $22K  and that was a stretch. Then in 2017; I bought the new HD Milwaukee 8 107" and added some performance upgrades (Air flow, Cam, exhaust, etc.) for 26K (with Performance Upgrade). 

With 40K miles on it at the beginning of this year - started looking at the new & improved 2019 CVO's. Starting at $43,000.00 I told the sales guy that Harley had lost their minds. This may be my last new off the showroom floor Harley. I'll put a new high performance engine in it before I spend 40k plus on a Harley.        

Edited by BIGUN
spelling

3 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Bought the then new 2015 HD Road Glide "Rushmore Project"  103" CI engine for $22K

One thing I have found is you can find a use Harley in great shape with low mileage. I bought the same bike last year with 16k miles for 18k. But It did not have the new bike smell.

Are sports cars the same? A lot of people I would imagine buy then as second cars and not daily drivers so I wonder if you can find low mileage cars that are a couple of years old.  

19 hours ago, Rick said:

you can find a use Harley in great shape with low mileage. I bought the same bike last year with 16k miles for 18k. But It did not have the new bike smell.

Morning, Rick. This may have to be my future direction or simply rebuild the 107 into a 124 or sumpin. I'm about to leave on an ~10,000 mile six-week trip. I would buy the new Harleys simply because I ride all over the country each year and there was a sense of piece of mind that I could pull into any Harley and use the warranty. As physical medical issues continue to punish the body; I may have to throttle back to riding around the state (or neighboring states) on a Road King,     Wanna Go?

image.png.e259b7f93c6566f5a0fb213787678616.png

• Like 1