BaNaNaJoE

Fear is back

Hi, I started my AFF last year. After a few jumps my fear was gone. But now after the winter break, the fear is back. I'm not worried about what happens because I make mistakes but about situations that I can not influence. That's why I wanted to ask how likely it is that I'm hurt or dying by a mistake I can not influence (gear failure, double malfunction ...) Thanks in advance for your answers and excuse me for my bad english;)

Blue Skies

1 hour ago, BaNaNaJoE said:

Hi, I started my AFF last year. After a few jumps my fear was gone. But now after the winter break, the fear is back. I'm not worried about what happens because I make mistakes but about situations that I can not influence. That's why I wanted to ask how likely it is that I'm hurt or dying by a mistake I can not influence (gear failure, double malfunction ...) Thanks in advance for your answers and excuse me for my bad english;)

Blue Skies

Its funny you say that as i am in the same situation currently. Did my AFF late in the season last year and then had a winter break as well and now im having some fear about jumping. I think its perfectly natural reaction to this kind of situation, we are jumping out of an airplane at 13,000 feet after all lol. I personally like a little bit of fear, keeps me on my toes ;)

I am sure that after the first jump of the season the fear will get better and it will be manageable enough to let loose and have fun.

Thats what i am hoping for anyway lol...

Fear comes back after time off and it's a good thing.  You are jumping from a plane which is not a normal thing to most people.  Review your emergency procedures and then practice them. Most importantly just relax :)

BTW, I would get the fear back while working on my A license by the next weekend.  You will see it come back occasionally when you try new things as well.  Just remember to relax, visualize your dive flow and you will quickly get back to where you were before :)

Well, to answer your specific question:

Very low. 

Modern gear is very reliable. To encounter a situation where you 'do everything right and still die' is possible, but not likely.

Most fatalities are the result of a 'chain of events', usually a chain of errors. Take any link out of that chain and the accident doesn't happen. 

Be 'up to speed' on your EPs, have an RSL & AAD, jump a reasonably sized canopy and be smart when you fly it (and jump at a place where other jumpers in the pattern are smart too).
Do those things and you remove yourself from most of the accident categories.

If it helps any, what you are feeling is perfectly normal. Familiarity will alleviate it to a large degree. My first jump each season is scary. Every damned year. 
If I'm off for more than a couple weeks, the first jump is a bit scary. Not as bad as after the whole winter, but more than just a week or so. 

• Like 1

The fear of skydiving should always be a little present. It does lessen over time, but it should always be there a little, if as nothing other than a small acknowledgment of the danger in the back of your mind. Anytime it's more prevalent than usual, ask yourself what exactly you're afraid of. A mal? Okay, practice your EPs and remember to stay aware of your altitude and traffic. Death? Remember that this is a potentially dangerous sport and that you have safeguards in place to reduce that danger, and think about and practice them. A long spot/bad spot? Be prepared to ask for a go-around if you're sure the spot is long, or prepare to pull high/use your training to get back from a long spot (obviously, address this with your instructor depending on the circumstances; my advice here is as an example and is not intended to be instruction). I have been in this sport nearly 4 years and after 4 weeks off to deal with some family stuff, I felt very anxious last weekend coming back. After 4 weeks! Hardly any time at all, yet I still felt nervous. I spent some time on the plane visualizing the jump and addressing specific malfunction fears I had. Once that door opened it was like I'd never spent any time away. Skydiving should always be a tiny bit scary-exciting. If it's ever neither, it's time to quit for awhile.

I just went for my first jump this past Sunday, I was pretty nervous too since the last time i jumped was October.

As others have mentioned the second you are at that door the excitement takes over and the fun begins. 

But i always have that anxious/knots in the stomach before every jump, keeps me alive lol.