BillyVance

Julian Assange kicked out of Ecuador Embassy, arrested by British

I’ve never liked Wikileaks. Breaking the law to correct ‘wrongs’ brings to mind the old saying ‘two wrongs don’t make a right’.

So I am supportive of Julian standing trial.

That said, I think governments should be held to account

3 hours ago, nigel99 said:

I’ve never liked Wikileaks. Breaking the law to correct ‘wrongs’ brings to mind the old saying ‘two wrongs don’t make a right’.

So I am supportive of Julian standing trial.

That said, I think governments should be held to account

You know what I think? Assange holed himself up in the embassy for 7 years because he knew he was a wanted man, since he published a lot of classified info from the Obama administration, and I don't think he wanted to end up like Seth Rich. (yes, I know... unproven conspiracy theory)

At any rate, it's going to be interesting to see what happens next. If the DOJ can prove he conspired with Bradley Manning to steal the info, then yes, he's in deep dodo. If all he did was publish what Manning gave to him, then he was just doing his job, as distasteful it may be. Interestingly enough, Bradley is back in jail for refusing to testify on his dealings with Wikileaks.

57 minutes ago, DJL said:

The question is whether he was ever going to face more time in jail than the 7 years he imposed upon himself.

you have a good point there I can't see him doing much time if any   

looks like he overstayed his welcome there and pissed off his hosts

2 minutes ago, Rick said:
1 hour ago, DJL said:

The question is whether he was ever going to face more time in jail than the 7 years he imposed upon himself.

you have a good point there I can't see him doing much time if any   

looks like he overstayed his welcome there and pissed off his hosts

Right, it seems more like he was evicted for having a dirty bathroom and not taking care of his cat.  

I think the U.S hacking charge carries a max of 5 years, but Sweden apparently still has till 2020 to reopen the rape case.  Not sure why the statute of limitations should even matter here since the alleged victim already came forward and is still actively seeking justice. 

As of 2018, new laws in Sweden make it easier to prosecute rape cases that carry a penalty of 4-10 years.

2 hours ago, kallend said:

The British are a tolerant people but a line has to be drawn somewhere.

It wasn't the Brits, it was the Ecuador embassy staff. Try and keep up.

As for the Brits, they sure seem to have a lot of tolerance, with Muslim immigrants pouring in and stinking up the place. London is fast on the path to being royally fucked. 9_9

2 minutes ago, BillyVance said:

It wasn't the Brits, it was the Ecuador embassy staff. Try and keep up.

As for the Brits, they sure seem to have a lot of tolerance, with Muslim immigrants pouring in and stinking up the place. London is fast on the path to being royally fucked. 9_9

Billly, that's fucking offensive. 

75 years ago, would you have said the same thing about Jews? Or other minorities? Or do you still? 

Wendy P.

19 hours ago, Rick said:

I thought the rape charge went away??? 

The Swedes said they dropped the case because he was granted asylum.  Now that that protection is gone, the victim's lawyer is doing everything she can to get the prosecutor to reopen the case before times runs out again, just like it did for his other sexual assault charges.

Now apparently 70 parliamentarians just sent a letter to Home Security urging them to "stand with the victims of sexual violence" and ensure the rape claim against the Wikileaks founder could be "properly investigated"

"We do not presume guilt, of course, but we believe due process should be followed and the complainant should see justice be done"

"the letter was intended "to underline the point that first and foremost Mr Assange is accused of rape and sexual violence in Sweden".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47917325

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47910820

On 4/12/2019 at 1:38 PM, wmw999 said:

Billly, that's fucking offensive. 

75 years ago, would you have said the same thing about Jews? Or other minorities? Or do you still? 

Wendy P.

To get a reaction from people? Of course he would. 

I'm on the fence about this.  On one hand, I f***ing hate Julian Assange for his pompous bullshit savior complex.  He has an agenda and only releases secrets if it's in line with Julian Assange's personal interest. 

ON THE OTHER HAND...as far as I'm aware, there is zero substance to the computer charge brought against him.  He did nothing that any other investigative journalist hasn't done.  I offer no opinion on the assault charge, because that has nothing to do with why he was arrested.  I think this is a dark day for journalists, even if I can't stand what Assange has become.  I'm leaning toward the side of "this is a bad thing," but I'm open to change my opinion based on evidence the other way.

31 minutes ago, yobnoc said:

I offer no opinion on the assault charge, because that has nothing to do with why he was arrested.

He was arrested for jumping bail after he found out that the UK was going to comply with Sweden's warrant and have him extradited back in 2012 to face the rape charges.  That's why he was holed up for 7 years in the embassy to begin with.

2 minutes ago, Coreece said:

He was arrested for jumping bail after he found out that the UK was going to comply with Sweden's warrant and have him extradited back in 2012 to face the rape charges.  That's why he was holed up for 7 years in the embassy to begin with.

My point is that his removal from the embassy and arrest in recent days was due to a conspiracy to hack charge, not the rape charge.

2 minutes ago, yobnoc said:
5 minutes ago, Coreece said:

My point is that his removal from the embassy and arrest in recent days was due to a conspiracy to hack charge, not the rape charge.

No, he was arrested for jumping bail in the UK on the Sweden warrant and faces up to a year on that charge.  Now that he's out, the US wants him and quite possibly Sweden as well.

4 minutes ago, Coreece said:

No, he was arrested for jumping bail in the UK on the Sweden warrant and faces up to a year on that charge.  Now that he's out, the US wants him and quite possibly Sweden as well.

I guess I have more to learn on this.  Thanks for the correction.