1 1
ColoradoJones

How long should it take to get on a load?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, ColoradoJones said:

Does it look like my shirt is too loose? Ill talk to the coach about finding a jumpsuit (or buying one).  I was comfortable at 5k AGL, but I am sure 9k at a 120 mph will be cold. 

From that angle you can't tell how loose you t-shirt is, but a jumpsuit is a good idea for free fall jumps for many reasons.

Congrats on the clear-and-pull! I still remember mine back way back in 2002, I was shitting bricks getting ready for that jump, and so happy when my chute opened successfully.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, flyhi said:

What does the "IAD student" part mean? 

Instructor Assisted Deployment. It's a replacement for static line, so very similar in its process, but a free fall rig is used and the instructor throws the pilot chute as the student leaves the airplane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2019 at 6:36 PM, ColoradoJones said:

I did my first jump that day with a long sleeve fleece pullover that fits tightly (luckily all my warm cloths are old and purchased before I gained 30 lbs, so they are all snug lol) and my last two jumps were done in the snug fitting T-shirt.  Does it look like my shirt is too loose? Ill talk to the coach about finding a jumpsuit (or buying one).  I was comfortable at 5k AGL, but I am sure 9k at a 120 mph will be cold. 

You are not the only one that has figured that because a shirt or pullover is tight fitting, or because you have it tucked in that it is OK. You are wrong. Please stop trying to find a reason for the advice to not apply to you. It is dangerous, and we know that because others have proven it.  Your instructors should not allow you to jump like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2019 at 3:36 PM, ColoradoJones said:

I did my first jump that day with a long sleeve fleece pullover that fits tightly (luckily all my warm cloths are old and purchased before I gained 30 lbs, so they are all snug lol) and my last two jumps were done in the snug fitting T-shirt.  Does it look like my shirt is too loose? Ill talk to the coach about finding a jumpsuit (or buying one).  I was comfortable at 5k AGL, but I am sure 9k at a 120 mph will be cold. 

When i was an AFF student, It was required for me to wear a jumpsuit. Along with the safety issues that the loose clothing can pose, when it comes to free fall, wearing a jumpsuit eliminates the clothing variable, making flying a little easier. I would for sure recommend seeing if your DZ has some to try out, and then buy one based on your fall rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, sundevil777 said:

You are not the only one that has figured that because a shirt or pullover is tight fitting, or because you have it tucked in that it is OK. You are wrong. Please stop trying to find a reason for the advice to not apply to you. It is dangerous, and we know that because others have proven it.  Your instructors should not allow you to jump like that.

Wow. No where in my post did I say that the information did not apply to me.  Actually, I specifically stated that I would look for a jumpsuit.  When I asked if my shirt looked to be too loose, it was a legitimate question meant to further my knowledge, not justify my error.  I was simply stating what I had worn throughout the day as the weather changed.  No where did I even begin to negate your advice and assume I knew better or thought it did not apply to me.  I dont appreciate your snappy response, though, in which you assume I had attitude or was trying to be aloof. As an educator myself, for future reference, those type of responses to an honest question work quickly against the learning process. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2019 at 5:56 PM, SethInMI said:

From that angle you can't tell how loose you t-shirt is, but a jumpsuit is a good idea for free fall jumps for many reasons.

Congrats on the clear-and-pull! I still remember mine back way back in 2002, I was shitting bricks getting ready for that jump, and so happy when my chute opened successfully.

 

It was my third jump for the day, so I was *somewhat* calm lol.  What benefits do jumpsuits have?  Controlling fall rate? Less prone to covering a handle, obviously. As a student, what type of jump suit should i be looking for? There are many different styles and I am not sure how to differentiate.  Suggestions on Brand or manufacturer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Interstellar_court said:

When i was an AFF student, It was required for me to wear a jumpsuit. Along with the safety issues that the loose clothing can pose, when it comes to free fall, wearing a jumpsuit eliminates the clothing variable, making flying a little easier. I would for sure recommend seeing if your DZ has some to try out, and then buy one based on your fall rate.

I will definitely ask them if they have some for me to try.  Do you have recommendations on brands, styles, types, etc? I know literally nothing about jump suits and i would hate to spend money on the wrong thing considering I have two kids and they seem to be eating all of my money lately haha. 

Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

What benefits do jumpsuits have?  Controlling fall rate? Less prone to covering a handle, obviously.

More protection on landing. Less snag hazards. Yes, controlling fall rate. The miltary has a saying, "Train like you fight." Works here too. 

Less prone to covering a handle? Old timers here will remember a post from Sangiro when his shirt did exactly that. And he knew what he was doing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ColoradoJones said:

I will definitely ask them if they have some for me to try.  Do you have recommendations on brands, styles, types, etc? I know literally nothing about jump suits and i would hate to spend money on the wrong thing considering I have two kids and they seem to be eating all of my money lately haha. 

 

Students don't need to deal about buying a jumpsuit -- that's normally supplied by the dropzone. When you are going off student status, then you can start worrying about all that. Jumpsuits for flying on one's belly also have grippers so one can dock for formations. Still useful for students, if doing AFF, or learning to fly one's first formations with an instructor or coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ColoradoJones said:

Wow.

I agree with what you said in your response, and how you said it. Don't give it another thought. Plenty of people do hop-n-pops without jumpsuits on, including putting students out, so it's not like it's a BSR violation. For reference, here is me getting ready for my clear and pull from 2002, rocking a, yes, t-shirt. And plenty of student jumpsuits are baggier than tight-fitting t-shirt would be.
1332144997_SDCJump1InPlane.jpg.440148954de120b5c414dc7eb015fa13.jpg
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ColoradoJones said:

I will definitely ask them if they have some for me to try.  Do you have recommendations on brands, styles, types, etc? I know literally nothing about jump suits and i would hate to spend money on the wrong thing considering I have two kids and they seem to be eating all of my money lately haha. 

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, I feel ya, I have two kids too! I would try some out at your DZ and see what suits you best based on how it helps with fall rate/whatever discipline you are interested in. There are a ton of brands out there that do both custom and off the rack suits. 

Next time you're at your DZ... ask for a jumpsuit and just start trying them out. I've jumped in everything from a super draggy suit, to tight leggings and an under armour base layer, and it helped me figure things out. 

HTH :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ColoradoJones said:

I will definitely ask them if they have some for me to try.  Do you have recommendations on brands, styles, types, etc?

If you are more interested in freeflying, then a suit without booties.  If RW, booties.  Get the cheapest used suit you can find that fits you - you will destroy it quickly.  Then use your experience with that suit to choose one you will like better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ColoradoJones said:

I will definitely ask them if they have some for me to try.  Do you have recommendations on brands, styles, types, etc? I know literally nothing about jump suits and i would hate to spend money on the wrong thing considering I have two kids and they seem to be eating all of my money lately haha. 

Thanks in advance!

I would say if they have student jumpsuits available, use one of them hold off on buying a custom/new one until you figure out what kind of skydiving you want to focus on (freeflying, RW, etc). If you're a bigger dude and you want to do RW jumps, you'll want something with more surface area to slow you down so you can stay with the group. Conversely, if you're pretty small/light, you'll want something pretty form-fitting so you can fall fast enough to keep up with the group.

Once you get your license and start jumping with other people of all shapes and sizes, you'll get a feel for how your fall rate is and can make an informed jumpsuit choice at that point :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ColoradoJones said:

Wow. No where in my post did I say that the information did not apply to me.  Actually, I specifically stated that I would look for a jumpsuit.  When I asked if my shirt looked to be too loose, it was a legitimate question meant to further my knowledge, not justify my error.  I was simply stating what I had worn throughout the day as the weather changed.  No where did I even begin to negate your advice and assume I knew better or thought it did not apply to me.  I dont appreciate your snappy response, though, in which you assume I had attitude or was trying to be aloof. As an educator myself, for future reference, those type of responses to an honest question work quickly against the learning process. 

You stated that you were looking for a jumpsuit. That sounds like it would likely happen some number of jumps in the future. You mentioned that your pullover and shirt were snug, tight fitting, you asked if it looks like the shirt is loose. That sounds like someone that thinks the problems with wearing a t shirt are related to whether it is loose or not. That doesn't solve the problem, and it is quite reasonable to think that you don't get it, even if you didn't explicitly reject my advice.

It is common for newly aspiring jumpers to not at all realize the myriad ways things can go wrong. Those that have been around a long time have accumulated a lot of first hand, and much more anecdotal experience that can keep you from being a statistic. You can see plenty of people jump in t shirts, and of course they usually are ok.  You are a novice, and should not be violating this safety practice. I don't care if some DZs let students do it, it is a real risk that is easily avoided. Perhaps some others here on the site will convince me otherwise, I'm open to being convinced, but I don't think it likely.

You are past the formative assessment stage. That was when you were a complete newbie. Now everything is most definitely an authentic, summative assessment without the opportunity for re-takes to achieve mastery status. If you are surrounded by lots of old timers (almost everyone is an old timer to you), they may grant you bits of wisdom, and that wisdom may come as they just walk by you doing something and blurt out some advice. That advice may not be delivered with a positive, supportive tone, scaffolded based on your prior knowledge, differentiated for your own learning style, to impart understanding by design. No, it may be possible to be offended by their delivery, but they wouldn't be giving you their advice if they didn't care about you. If it isn't clear why their advice makes sense, then first assume their intent is not to offend, but to help, stop them, thank them for caring and talk about it.

I think that in our profile on this site, if you are a student, your "discipline choices" should be limited to just one - staying alive, made more likely by making all efforts to not repeat the bad stuff others did.

I do understand how my earlier post can be seen as rude. I apologize for that. I understand how this post can be seen as rude. I don't care about that, I am intentionally being blunt. If you're in Ohio, or if I go through Colorado, we should definitely jump together. B|

 

Edited by sundevil777

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account. It's free!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1