1 1
Dewbee

Cookie ear hole

Hello everyone, I am a powered paraglider pilot that is going to be getting into your sport soon and I need to buy a new helmet for paragliding. I want to buy the cookie G3 or G4 and was wondering if those helmets offer any sound protection or reduction.  I asked cookie and they took the legal road and said their helmet was only for skydiving.  Having a double duty helmet would be nice but I understand if I have to buy 2.  

Edited by Dewbee

(edited)

I highly recommend looking into Tonfly TFX helmet. I tested it and it is definetly a go to helmet in the future. The worksmanship is next level, comfortable, reduces noise, impact rated ... all other helmets really lag behind. The only one I haven't seen is the G4.

Edited by Maddingo
  • Like 1

(edited)

No I don't think so. But you should really get one in your hands and compare it to others on the market. You will quickly see what I am talking about. I was not impressed by it's price at first too, but when I saw it up close and put it on the head I was amazed and understood the price gap between this and other helmets. That said won't be switching mine out soon, but when I will it will be this one.

Edited by Maddingo
  • Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 12:09 PM, meat.missile said:

Can the helmet be removed by undoing the chin strap only?

Also at $600 it is a bit excessive for something that you don't really need.

Until you do, and then it's too late. Don't rule out the unpopular/unattractive PRO TEC to cover the bean. AND that price!!! 

Have a look at Icaro helmets -- they have a whole family of helmets for paragliding, some very nice stuff.

https://www.icaro2000.com/products/helmets/All-helmets/All-helmets.htm

Max Hurd, UK speed skydiving champion, uses an Icaro helmet for our discipline -- the judges allow it, the helmet is beautiful though, in his own words, a bit "hard to fly".  Here's the paragliding helmet he uses for skydiving:

https://eugeneciurana.com/fotki/i.php?/upload/2019/04/09/20190409114750-e4af8805-xl.jpg

If you want an "impact rated helmet for skydiving" wait for the Cookie G4 - it's a full face helmet and it has the same impact rating as the paragliding helmets you find in Europe.  I don't recommend the Tonfly TFX because they misrepresent a modular helmet as a full face helmet.  For a helmet to be classified as "full face" the whole body of the helmet must be molded together.  Modular helmets (e.g. a helmet with a hinge for lifting the chin bar + face shield in one motion) are considered less safe because they can open on impact.

There exists a "gold standard" helmet testing organization, the Snell Memorial Foundation, whose mission is to test helmets for safety across multiple sports.  No skydiving helmet has ever been submitted/passed their test.  The full face vs modular (e.g. where the Cookie and the TFX impact rated helmets stand) analogous helmets would be in motorsports categories -- and no modular helmet ever passed their safety tests for a chin impact.  That's why I'm of the opinion that, given what we know about full face vs modular helmets and impacts from other domains, the Cookie G4 will be a better choice.

I've suggested in other threads that Cookie and Tonfly submit their helmets to Snell for certification.  If either got a Snell rating I would buy it as soon as it's issued.

Disclaimer:  I own neither Cookie nor Tonfly helmets, nor am I involved with the Snell Memorial Foundation, nor am I connected with any of the above in any meaningful way.  I fly Bonehead AEROs with heavy electronics enhancements and I'm a certified motorcycle riding safety instructor -- and yes, everything I said in this post other than the Icaro info and links is pure opinion.

Blue skies!

pr3d4t0r