2 2
DJL

Stowing detachable slider (Without removing it)

I don't like taking it off if I'm doing a regular skydive but it's a pain in the ass and my magnetic keeper on my reserve flap won't hold it down.  Any advice?  Will slider tabs on the riser do the trick?  Sew a collapsing system into it?

(edited)

You can try to roll them before you stow or you can ask a rigger or the manufacturer to add collapsable strings to the detachable slider if it really bothers you.

Have you done enough jumps with one? I find that I remove them and throw inside my jumpsuit quicker than I can colapse and stow on my back. Installing them back when I land does add 1 minute to the pack job though.

Edited by daffes

1 hour ago, daffes said:

Have you done enough jumps with one? I find that I remove them and throw inside my jumpsuit quicker than I can colapse and stow on my back. Installing them back when I land does add 1 minute to the pack job though.

Yup.  For shooting vid it's kind of a P-I-T-A trying to reattach while turning loads quick.  I'm going to see about sewing some collapsible lines on it.

3 minutes ago, DJL said:

Yup.  For shooting vid it's kind of a P-I-T-A trying to reattach while turning loads quick.  I'm going to see about sewing some collapsible lines on it.

Check the multiple designs too. The icarus ones are the slowest ones to attach IMO, then PD. TST and latest Fluid Wings models are the fastest.

(edited)

Had the same problem with magnetic keeper. Put slider tabs on the risers but they only hold the front side down (and still not ideal).

After a bit of research went on with the ball/elastic band approach, but a bit modified - I have a ball on the top of the yoke and installed a small loop on the bottom of my slider (at the center) to put an elastic band in (regular stow band cut in half to be able to easily break in case of a chop) - I am loving it! I don't even collapse my slider anymore - after opening pull on the center of the slider, roll it around itself 2 or 3 times and put the elastic band on the ball behind your back - very tight and I practically forgot about that annoying slider. Plus, don't need to do anything with the slider before you pack - just take the band off the ball - ready to pack.

Ordered my new canopy with a removable slider before I tried this setup, now thinking I should have gotten a regular slider and simply do the same thing.. Here's a recent video, just scroll to 1:04 to see what I mean:

Edit to add: I understand you are talking about detachable slider, the setup I'm explaining will solve the issue without needing to collapse it.

Edited by bsrodeo540