billvon

Trump deregulation part 2

So a few years back Trump decided to deregulate the FAA a bit; to "streamline" procedures to help great American companies like Boeing get their aircraft certified faster and more efficiently.  One of the ways this was done was by delegating many of the decisions on testing and certification to Boeing, rather than the FAA.  Boeing's CEO praised Trump for "streamlining" the process of getting the 737 MAX certified, without so much red tape and annoying testing.

Since that worked so well, he is now going to take the same approach with hog farms.  What could go wrong?

=========================================

Pork industry soon will have more power over meat inspections

By Kimberly Kindy WaPo

April 3 

The Trump administration plans to shift much of the power and responsibility for food safety inspections in hog plants to the pork industry as early as May, cutting the number of federal inspectors by about 40 percent and replacing them with plant employees.

===========================================

8 hours ago, billvon said:

The Trump administration plans to shift much of the power and responsibility for food safety inspections in hog plants to the pork industry as early as May, cutting the number of federal inspectors by about 40 percent and replacing them with plant employees.

So, scientists globally are being accused of faking their own data in the global warming conspiracy yet we think pork factories who are classically famous for cutting corners to disastrous outcomes will be OK.

11 hours ago, billvon said:

So a few years back Trump decided to deregulate the FAA a bit; to "streamline" procedures to help great American companies like Boeing get their aircraft certified faster and more efficiently.  One of the ways this was done was by delegating many of the decisions on testing and certification to Boeing, rather than the FAA.  Boeing's CEO praised Trump for "streamlining" the process of getting the 737 MAX certified, without so much red tape and annoying testing.

Since that worked so well, he is now going to take the same approach with hog farms.  What could go wrong?

=========================================

Pork industry soon will have more power over meat inspections

By Kimberly Kindy WaPo

April 3 

===========================================

Boon for the Canadian pork industry. Thank you Trump!

15 minutes ago, gowlerk said:
34 minutes ago, Coreece said:

m still wondering what you guys put in Canadian bacon to give it that rainbow iridescence.

Wonder no more......

https://www.thespruceeats.com/rainbow-sheen-on-ham-1807022

From Article:

Are Nitrates Health or Harmful?

There's a great debate in the health food world over the safety of nitrates in food. While most scientists find that unless you have a specific allergy to nitrates they're a safe food additive. Some nutritionists think that nitrates, especially in large quantities, can cause all sorts of medical issues from indigestion to cancer. Of course, there are no real studies that support this hypothesis.

Apparently the science isn't settled, so until then I'll continue letting my ham rest in aluminum foil for 10-15 minutes before cutting, just to be safe.

4 minutes ago, Coreece said:

From Article:

There's a great debate in the health food world over the safety of nitrates in food. While most scientists find that unless you have a specific allergy to nitrates they're a safe food additive. Some nutritionists think that nitrates, especially in large quantities, can cause all sorts of medical issues from indigestion to cancer. Of course, there are no real studies that support this hypothesis.

Apparently the science isn't settled, so until then I'll continue letting my ham rest in aluminum foil for 10-15 minutes before cutting, just to be safe.

I'll deal with it the same way I deal with all these food safety controversies.  I'll do my best to ignore them and eat what I like to eat. I think that's about the same as you.

54 minutes ago, Coreece said:

From Article:

I don't understand your point. Do you think letting the meat sit will allow the nitrates to leak out?  FWIW, nitrates (saltpeter)  have been used to cure meats since the middle ages

4 minutes ago, lummy said:

I don't understand your point. Do you think letting the meat sit will allow the nitrates to leak out?  FWIW, nitrates (saltpeter)  have been used to cure meats since the middle ages

I was wondering about that.

That ain't what resting meat does. In fact it's the exact opposite! X)

17 minutes ago, yoink said:

I was wondering about that.

That ain't what resting meat does. In fact it's the exact opposite! X)

I think you guys have likely missed his point. It's the tin foil, you could just wear it over your head and get the same effect.

• Like 1

(edited)

2 hours ago, Coreece said:

From Article:

From another article;

The WHO announcement came on advice from 22 cancer experts from 10 countries, who reviewed more than 400 studies on processed meat covering epidemiological data from hundreds of thousands of people.

Edited by jakee

2 hours ago, lummy said:

Yes, and what was the life expectancy back then?

22 hours ago, lummy said:

20 hours ago, kallend said:

Yes, and what was the life expectancy back then?

Very short. 

But infections were usually fatal, surgery didn't happen, any complications during childbirth and the mother was toast, and something like 1 in 3 kids died before puberty.

Deaths from 'nitrate poisoning' or cancer caused by nitrates was probably very, very low on the list.