2 2
husslr187

Spammers

Question

Is it possible to put in a wait time between posts to slow down spammers. All the post they put up are within 2 minutes of each other. Maybe just have that on new accounts and allow the mods to lift the restriction when it’s obvious their not a spammer

Edit: it appears I missed the drop down menu with suggestions and feedback in it. If a mod can move this for me it’ll be appreciated.

Edited by husslr187

4 answers to this question

2 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Except that it would "appear" that the forums no longer list "Moderated by" nor do the moderators appear to be greenies anymore. So, how do the young'uns or newly registered know?

Hope you're doing well.

Keith 

All mods now have privileges for every forum under the new design - they are no longer just monitoring a subset anymore. Even easier than sending a message is using the new "Report" feature, when this happens it automatically sends a notification to every moderator that a post needs looked at and we can do a one click option to mark the poster as a spammer and it removes all their posts and prevents them from posting anymore. Filters can be looked to to prevent certain types of posts - for example anything with the phrase "WhatsApp"' might be safe to filter since not a lot of posters use that in a normal post but lots of spammers do.

• Like 1

Meso is the spam-blocker software guru, but as a *former* Moderator I can say from my experience that the a non-technical strategy against spammers is:

1. A strong roster of Moderators who are regularly attentive to the forums and are spread across time zones.  In other words, the goal is to have an attentive Moderator who is awake and available around the clock & around the world.  It doesn't always work, but we were pretty close at one time.  Delete/Block - easy day.
  2. Forum Members who PM Moderators to make them aware of spam in a forum.  A quick PM with the link and bada bing/bada boom.

10 hours ago, slotperfect said:

Forum Members who PM Moderators to make them aware of spam in a forum.  

Except that it would "appear" that the forums no longer list "Moderated by" nor do the moderators appear to be greenies anymore. So, how do the young'uns or newly registered know?

Hope you're doing well.

Keith 

On 4/3/2019 at 7:45 PM, PhreeZone said:

Even easier than sending a message is using the new "Report" feature, when this happens it automatically sends a notification to every moderator that a post needs looked at

Duly noted. Should have thought about that as I've used the "Report" feature myself.