DougH

Search functionality

I am thinking that the forum search is really limited, especially the ability to search by topic title.

Is this a known difficulty, or am I doing something wrong.

The camera forum has died down a lot over the years, blame GoPros, less thought has to go into flying camera. But previously I could search to dig up old posts and look at pictures as setups.

I am struggling with searching using the terms FTP, or Flat Top Pro, and other combinations. In the past using those same terms would bring up a lot of old posts.

It almost seems like only new posts, post forum change, can be searched by topic title. Old posts only seem to come up when searching topic and body, and that brings up all types of garbage, especially since old signatures are now in the body of posts after the conversion.

Edited by DougH

The Search function is terrible now, making much of the "old dropzone.com" inaccessible.

For example, I have saved the text from various posts over the years, and when I search on some very specific phrase from the post, copied exactly from the original post, the search finds NOTHING. 

Same when I search very specifically on the exact title of the old thread, whether or not it is the basic search or search for titles or search for exact phrase.  

How can one possibly maintain a body of knowledge if it is near impossible to find and reference that knowledge?

(It is easier to do a Google search with 'dropzone.com' in the title.)

So what is up with Search and how can it be fixed?

On 7/21/2019 at 5:32 PM, pchapman said:

The Search function is terrible now, making much of the "old dropzone.com" inaccessible.

For example, I have saved the text from various posts over the years, and when I search on some very specific phrase from the post, copied exactly from the original post, the search finds NOTHING. 

Same when I search very specifically on the exact title of the old thread, whether or not it is the basic search or search for titles or search for exact phrase.  

How can one possibly maintain a body of knowledge if it is near impossible to find and reference that knowledge?

(It is easier to do a Google search with 'dropzone.com' in the title.)

So what is up with Search and how can it be fixed?

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback! We're also not completely happy with the search functionality that comes with the software, though some may be related to our migration.

Could you please provide the phrase to the thread you're referring to, and perhaps a link to the post. I just want to do some testing on that thread and see if it's a case of the search not working, or our migration having a problem.

(edited)

A good example is this:

There was a fairly long thread titled "Name That Rack", where cropped pictures were posted and guesses were made as to who was pictured.

Searching "Name That Rack" generated zero results to the actual thread, yet two results mentioning that thread by name (one had "That" capitalized, one did not).
Interestingly, the words "name" and "rack" were highlighted, yet 'that' was not.

https://www.dropzone.com/search/?&q=Name That Rack&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

Edit to add: 

This post now shows up in those search results.
But not the actual thread I've searched for by name.

Edited by wolfriverjoe

Has anyone else had trouble searching for employment with the new layout?

With the new layout it is much harder to search for employment.

Before, you could click classifieds,employment and search and it would show all employment adds from every country.

Now when you hit search it requires you to use a key word. So i have to keep typing "instructor" or "wanted" and im only getting a few at a time.

How do we get back to the entire list of all employment adds from all countries?

On 9/12/2019 at 6:35 PM, wilberway01 said:

Has anyone else had trouble searching for employment with the new layout?

With the new layout it is much harder to search for employment.

Before, you could click classifieds,employment and search and it would show all employment adds from every country.

Now when you hit search it requires you to use a key word. So i have to keep typing "instructor" or "wanted" and im only getting a few at a time.

How do we get back to the entire list of all employment adds from all countries?

Hi there,

Not sure I understand completely, there is a category for employment in the classifieds: https://www.dropzone.com/classifieds/category/8-employment/

This page lists all ads inside of that category.

Let me know if you need further help