1 1
skytribe

rodriguez parachute systems container

I have acquired an old rodriguez parachute container and I know nothing about it except it had a round reserve and a stratostar main in it.   It has R2 as release mechanism and the main pilot chute was mounted on a belly band with the main container was closed with a velcro flap.

I dont even know the name of the container let alone finding a manual to find more info out on the container.     At no point is this container going back in service but I'd like to clean it up and fill the containers with some foam to make it look like it has canopies in as a nice "historical" piece.  At the moment the container is taking a bath and cleaning up the years of dirt / grim that had accumulated.

Any hints on a manual with pictures or what I may even have here.

Spotty

16 hours ago, skytribe said:

I have acquired an old rodriguez parachute container and I know nothing about it except it had a round reserve and a stratostar main in it.   It has R2 as release mechanism and the main pilot chute was mounted on a belly band with the main container was closed with a velcro flap.

I dont even know the name of the container let alone finding a manual to find more info out on the container.     At no point is this container going back in service but I'd like to clean it up and fill the containers with some foam to make it look like it has canopies in as a nice "historical" piece.  At the moment the container is taking a bath and cleaning up the years of dirt / grim that had accumulated.

Spotty

Maybe you have a great donation to the International Skydiving Museum!

Hi Spot,

I'm thinking it should be a conventional rig, i.e., back pack w/gut pack.  I don't think he ever built a piggyback rig.  Do NOT count on this but I seem to remember that it was called Rod's Rebel.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  According to what an FAA Aircraft Certification Office employee told me back in the 70's, he was the first person to be able to convince that FAA that he could build a rig without also having to build a canopy because he could buy canopies & install them.  Up to that time, the FAA position was that a mfr had to build an entire rig; container, harness, canopy, pilot chute, etc.

2 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Spot,

I'm thinking it should be a conventional rig, i.e., back pack w/gut pack.  I don't think he ever built a piggyback rig.  Do NOT count on this but I seem to remember that it was called Rod's Rebel.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  According to what an FAA Aircraft Certification Office employee told me back in the 70's, he was the first person to be able to convince that FAA that he could build a rig without also having to build a canopy because he could buy canopies & install them.  Up to that time, the FAA position was that a mfr had to build an entire rig; container, harness, canopy, pilot chute, etc.

Jerry 

Thanks, I think your right.   After more hunting around it looks like it is a "Rods Rebel 1".     It does look interesting from the fact that the main container does not have a closure loop like we see now but is velcro closed.    (Obviously wouldnt class as freefly friendly these days.)   

Looking for any info on closing this up as it would be nice to close it up in correct manner - even if it wasnt with canopies inside - rather foam for demo purposes.    

On 3/29/2019 at 4:01 PM, thegrump said:

does it have nylon inserts in the leg straps and chest strap instead of hardware ? if so I remember this rig . I defiantly remember the velcro patch to close it.

Yes, I saw one.  (Rodriguez rig without hardware for chest and leg straps).  It had (pretty sure), flat pieces of smooth aluminum, pretty long, (not plastic) that slid inside of the leg and chest straps.  You slid the aluminum insert along until the strap fit you, then folded it back and secured the insert by laying it flat and "locked" it in place with a fabric sleeve of some type, and the sleeve was secured by elastic or friction or something.. (this was 40 years ago)  

Pretty cool idea - actually.  Never saw it jumped, and don't know whether it would have held;  but that guy was a thinker and an innovator.

On 3/29/2019 at 4:01 PM, thegrump said:

does it have nylon inserts in the leg straps and chest strap instead of hardware ? if so I remember this rig . I defiantly remember the velcro patch to close it.

Yeah - the sleeve could have been secured by Velcro.  

On 4/11/2019 at 1:27 PM, dpreguy said:

Yes, I saw one.  (Rodriguez rig without hardware for chest and leg straps).  It had (pretty sure), flat pieces of smooth aluminum, pretty long, (not plastic) that slid inside of the leg and chest straps.  You slid the aluminum insert along until the strap fit you, then folded it back and secured the insert by laying it flat and "locked" it in place with a fabric sleeve of some type, and the sleeve was secured by elastic or friction or something.. (this was 40 years ago)  

Pretty cool idea - actually.  Never saw it jumped, and don't know whether it would have held;  but that guy was a thinker and an innovator.

Hardware was the biggest cost of making harnesses. Especially Capewells. Also several accidents happened with entanglements prompted canopy releases changes, with Bill Booth being the big winner .

On 3/28/2019 at 1:32 PM, skytribe said:

Spotty

Those rigs were and are "bombproof ". I tested them with dummies and live, headdown , high speed openings. The only stronger rigs I built were for the Space Shuttle program that had 8 layers of main lift web webbing. NASA OVERKILL/OVERENGINEERING.

Also,  R2 was my Inspection Stamp. Jose was assigned R1.