3 3
brenthutch

Green new deal equals magical thinking

There he goes again. Pushing his "International globalist" agenda. It's almost as if he would like to light the whole damned world on fire just to push his puny small penis SUV down the road. 

48 minutes ago, lippy said:

As long as most of our energy comes from fossil fuel and most vehicles use international combustion engines, I win.  

10 minutes ago, kallend said:

When it comes to trolling (which is all you really do here) you are a very distant second behind Ron.

Not trolling, just giving some folks a needed reality check.  The only thing Biden climate policies will lead to is higher energy costs for Americans.  I will guarantee, in four years atmospheric levels of CO2 will be higher than they are today.  

5 hours ago, gowlerk said:

There he goes again. Pushing his "International globalist" agenda. It's almost as if he would like to light the whole damned world on fire just to push his puny small penis SUV down the road. 

Ken I'm sure it was an unintentional copy/paste error, but for the record I didn't say that.

And to BH: don't worry, there are plenty of better arguments against you other than an auto-fill...that's just an example of the attention to detail you regularly exhibit here.

9 hours ago, gowlerk said:

I was quoting your quote from the troll. I can't quote him directly because he has vanished from my feed.

You can turn on seeing it for that one post, and not see any of the rest. 
Wendy P. 

On 1/23/2021 at 11:10 AM, brenthutch said:

The only thing Biden climate policies will lead to is higher energy costs for Americans.  I will guarantee, in four years atmospheric levels of CO2 will be higher than they are today.  

And without Biden's climate policies, will atmospheric levels of CO2 be higher or lower than what you predict them to be with those policies?

“On the one hand we are ethically bound to the scientific method, in effect promising to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but & which means that we must include all the doubts, caveats, ifs and buts. On the other hand, we are not just scientists, but human beings as well. And like most people, we’d like to see the world a better place, which in this context translates into our working to reduce the risk of potentially disastrous climate change. To do that we have to get some broad-based support, to capture the public’s imagination. That, of course, entails getting loads of media coverage. So, we have to offer up scary scenarios, make simplified, dramatic statements, and make little mention of any doubts we might have. This double ethical bind which we frequently find ourselves in cannot be solved by any formula. Each of us has to decide what the right balance is between being effective and being honest.”

Climate Scientist

6 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

That of course doesn't answer the question. Shocker.

I am answering your question.  Biden will have the same impact on global CO2 as the Obama administration. In other words ZERO.  Just take a look at the trajectory of CO2 levels and see if any “climate action” had an impact. UNFCCC, COP1, COP2, Keyoto Protocol, COP 5-20 Paris Climate Agreement.  None of it has “flattened the curve”. The whole “save the planet” nonsense is nothing more than a bureaucratic money grab.

17 hours ago, brenthutch said:

“On the one hand we are ethically bound to the scientific method, in effect promising to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but & which means that we must include all the doubts, caveats, ifs and buts. On the other hand, we are not just scientists, but human beings as well. And like most people, we’d like to see the world a better place, which in this context translates into our working to reduce the risk of potentially disastrous climate change. To do that we have to get some broad-based support, to capture the public’s imagination. That, of course, entails getting loads of media coverage. So, we have to offer up scary scenarios, make simplified, dramatic statements, and make little mention of any doubts we might have. This double ethical bind which we frequently find ourselves in cannot be solved by any formula. Each of us has to decide what the right balance is between being effective and being honest.”

Climate Scientist

Wow, you have a quote from a REAL climate scientist.  

I guess you're drawn to that quote as it says they have to make 'simplified, dramatic statements'....I never knew you were a scientist Brent! 

14 hours ago, brenthutch said:

UNFCCC, COP1, COP2, Keyoto Protocol, COP 5-20 Paris Climate Agreement.  None of it has “flattened the curve”. The whole “save the planet” nonsense is nothing more than a bureaucratic money grab.

So you are claiming that the "Keyoto protocol" didn't work.

Actual results of the Kyoto Protocol:

kyoto2.PNG

14 hours ago, brenthutch said:

I am answering your question.  Biden will have the same impact on global CO2 as the Obama administration. In other words ZERO.  Just take a look at the trajectory of CO2 levels and see if any “climate action” had an impact. UNFCCC, COP1, COP2, Keyoto Protocol, COP 5-20 Paris Climate Agreement.  None of it has “flattened the curve”. The whole “save the planet” nonsense is nothing more than a bureaucratic money grab.

That still doesn't answer the question. You said that with Biden's actions Atmospheric CO2 will still go up. The question was if Biden does nothing, does it go up more or less than with his actions in place.

I will give you a small hint to help with your answer: it has nothing to do with Obama.

2 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

I will give you a small hint to help with your answer: it has nothing to do with Obama.

Why toy with Brent? You know only monster tsunami hints are useful to help his thinking along!

Speaking of, now is the time to invest in big oil Brent. For everyone else S&P puts most major oil companies on negative ratings watch

BlackRock Chief Pushes a Big New Climate Goal for the Corporate World

Larry Fink is using his firm’s huge influence to pressure companies to eliminate greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.

Of course Brent was wrong about Tesla as well. Its only gone up 1973% since Brent said it was going nowhere.

(edited)
7 hours ago, billvon said:

kyoto2.PNG

Obviously something else is at play if carbon emissions go down and CO2 concentrations continue to rise.  It buttresses my argument that the Green New Deal is just magical thinking.

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled."

image.jpeg.94ac6724efc0d554d509b652dab753b3.jpeg

Edited by brenthutch

7 hours ago, billvon said:

kyoto2.PNG

The rest of the story:

image.jpeg.9b763f70ba14b23f97a84b1efcbe4c3b.jpeg

looks like the only thing that can reduce CO2 emissions is an economy destroying pandemic.  Let’s just see how “build back better” impacts global emissions in the next year.  I’m guessing the will rebound to pre-pandemic levels, maybe a smidge more. 

(edited)
15 minutes ago, billvon said:

Exactly!  Enphase went up 8730% so Tesla is clearly underperforming by a factor of 5!

And just look at its impact on CO2 emissions.  Tesla is definitely on track to save the planet :rofl:

Wake me up when Tesla sells more cars than Ford sells trucks.

BTW Climate Czar Kerry says we have to sell 22 times more EVs to meet our climate goals.  Anybody want to wager on that happening in the next 4/8 years?

Edited by brenthutch

15 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

looks like the only thing that can reduce CO2 emissions is an economy destroying pandemic

Indeed, Brent, that is the only thing. No other possibilities exist. It was never a chance that fracking wouldn't some day be a reality and certainly an oil embargo is something no cartel would ever impose on an oil drunk western world. And as anyone who can see in their oily crystal ball magical thinking has never once produced a magical technological innovation. 

(edited)
16 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Indeed, Brent, that is the only thing. No other possibilities exist. It was never a chance that fracking wouldn't some day be a reality and certainly an oil embargo is something no cartel would ever impose on an oil drunk western world. And as anyone who can see in their oily crystal ball magical thinking has never once produced a magical technological innovation. 

Joe, the magical technological innovation that saved us (the West) from the OPEC cartel was hydraulic fracturing, Russian fossil fuel and oil sands exploitation.  The west never sobered up we just switched our drink of preference from Arak, to bourbon, vodka and Crown Royal.

Edited by brenthutch

8 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

And just look at its impact on CO2 emissions.  Tesla is definitely on track to save the planet :rofl:

Wake me up when Tesla sells more cars than Ford sells trucks.

BTW Climate Czar Kerry says we have to sell 22 times more EVs to meet our climate goals.  Anybody want to wager on that happening in the next 4/8 years?

Wouldn't it be interesting to quantify the third world country kids lives lost and the environmental damage done mining the materials for batteries, managing the batteries and ultimately the disassembly/ disposal/reuse of them. Also wonder what percentage of these batteries are recharged from coal fired power plants. There is no free lunch.

And about that CO2 thing. Wonder how many cold country folks are working from home and not driving their autos to work. I'm sure that the decrease in tail pipe emissions is much much less than the emissions from their fireplaces as they sit at home and burn all that wood.