3 3
brenthutch

Green new deal equals magical thinking

20 minutes ago, kallend said:

It works as well as the system that didn't deliver nuclear and natural gas  produced electricity to my house for 2 days last week.

Your system doesn’t work very well either.  Here in the Marcellus shale country we have an abundance of coal and natural gas, and I have never lost power due to a grid failure.

4 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Your system doesn’t work very well either.  Here in the Marcellus shale country we have an abundance of coal and natural gas, and I have never lost power due to a grid failure.

Who said the grid failed?    

8 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Feb 24 2019: Strong Winds Cause Power Outages Across Western Pennsylvania (Radio.com)

Oct 31 2019: Tens of thousands across Pa. have lost power due to weather (Patriot-News)

Jan 12 2020: PITTSBURGH (KDKA)–High winds overnight Sunday led to power outages throughout western Pennsylvania.

Aug 22 2020:   Amid high temperatures, power outages reported throughout area by Duquesne Light (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette)

Looks like you guys desperately need some solar and wind.

2 hours ago, billvon said:

Feb 24 2019: Strong Winds Cause Power Outages Across Western Pennsylvania (Radio.com)

Oct 31 2019: Tens of thousands across Pa. have lost power due to weather (Patriot-News)

Jan 12 2020: PITTSBURGH (KDKA)–High winds overnight Sunday led to power outages throughout western Pennsylvania.

Aug 22 2020:   Amid high temperatures, power outages reported throughout area by Duquesne Light (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette)

Looks like you guys desperately need some solar and wind.

Sounds like they need better transmission lines.

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/how-californias-shift-from-natural-gas-to-solar-is-playing-a-role-in-rolling-blackouts

the blackouts were also a side effect of the state’s increasing shift to solar power and away from natural-gas-fired generators, according to state grid operator CAISO 

ROTFLMAO

Just wait an see how quickly California delays the planned closure of its remaining gas generators.

https://www.wired.com/story/solar-panels-are-starting-to-die-leaving-behind-toxic-trash/

“We believe the big blind spot in the US for recycling is that the cost far exceeds the revenue,” Meng said. “It’s on the order of a 10-to-1 ratio.”

“We need to face the fact that solar panels do fail over time, and there’s a lot of them out there,” he said. “And what do we do when they start to fail? It’s not right throwing that responsibility on the consumer, and that’s where we’re at right now.”

On 8/21/2020 at 4:02 PM, turtlespeed said:

A system design issue.

How do you design for a lack of the only thing that makes your design work?

That's like saying that a generator, powered by hurricanes, has a design flaw if hurricanes don't show up to power it.

First, a generator isn't a system.

Second, look up dual fuel generators and maybe it can help you visualize the concept.

6 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

First, a generator isn't a system.

Second, look up dual fuel generators and maybe it can help you visualize the concept.

Ok - I see where you are with this - a part of the whole.

It didn't seem to me that you were talking to brent about anything more tan the turbines and the fuel they use.

39 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Ok - I see where you are with this - a part of the whole.

It didn't seem to me that you were talking to brent about anything more tan the turbines and the fuel they use.

The issue isn't with green energy, wind, water and solar can certainly produce mass amounts of electricity. The "issue" is around designing a reliable system that incorporates those energy sources. At least that is how I see it.

2 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

The issue isn't with green energy, wind, water and solar can certainly produce mass amounts of electricity. The "issue" is around designing a reliable system that incorporates those energy sources. At least that is how I see it.

I agree that much improvement is needed.  I'm not against them in any major way.  Again - I see them as eyesores.

Hurry up Cold Fusion!!

44 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

I agree that much improvement is needed.  I'm not against them in any major way.  Again - I see them as eyesores.

I was jokingly gonna say that you could decorate them like Christmas trees and use the blades as the star on top, but they actually already have.

Wind Turbine HD Wallpaper | Background Image | 1920x1200 | ID ...

Eco-photos of the week: Sept. 4-10 | Wind turbine, Favorite ...

On 8/19/2020 at 10:03 AM, Coreece said:
On 8/19/2020 at 9:41 AM, JoeWeber said:

Happy day before Hurricane Season actually starts. No worries, your prediction is still good.

August 19.png

Tropical disturbances developing off the cost of Africa every few days is typical this time of year.  Most just fizzle out like a bad kava fart - fingers crossed.

Nope, Marco didn't do much, but Laura suddenly blew up to a Category 4 and looks like it's heading for the western coast of Lousiana.  I'm usually not much of an alarmist when it comes to Hurricanes, but I have a bad feeling about this one.

28 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Nope, Marco didn't do much, but Laura suddenly blew up to a Category 4 and looks like it's heading for the western coast of Lousiana.  I'm usually not much of an alarmist when it comes to Hurricanes, but I have a bad feeling about this one.

Bad feeling? I think all you have to do is shine a UV light on a raked floor and everything will be fine.

29 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Nah, it won't hit central Pennsylvania, so it's all good. Just think of all the clean streets after this!

Of course, it is heading for an area that suffered a fairly significant blow with Rita, and if it heads farther west, it'll hit Houston. But it's not Pennsylvania, so who cares? 9_9

Of course, having lived there for 40+ years, I have a lot of friends and family in the area.

Wendy P.

7 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:
35 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Marco didn't do much, but Laura suddenly blew up to a Category 4 and looks like it's heading for the western coast of Lousiana.  I'm usually not much of an alarmist when it comes to Hurricanes, but I have a bad feeling about this one.

Bad feeling?

Ya, I hate it when others say that, but I just couldn't help it.  Mainly because the area seems to be prone to flooding and this one's strong enough to carry hurricane force winds all the way up to northern Louisiana  rather than dying off quickly after landfall.

Plus I've known a few Laura's in my day and they were all feisty little redheads if you know what I mean.

9 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Of course, it is heading for an area that suffered a fairly significant blow with Rita, and if it heads farther west, it'll hit Houston. . .Of course, having lived there for 40+ years, I have a lot of friends and family in the area.

From some reason my initial concern was for Louisiana - Texas always seems to be a little more prepared for these things.  But of course I hope the best for your friends and family.

3 hours ago, Coreece said:

Just a Kava fart, no worries. Years ago, as in 1990 I think, Trey Johnson and I were ferrying a Westwind Turbine Beech from Florida to Oregon. We stopped in Lafayette, Louisiana for the night and to have Crawfish Etouffee and some Red Beans and Rice. I cannot recall the name of the hole in the wall where we had our meal but the chow was absolutely awesome. The folks in that dive were too cool to be believed. It was like hanging with old friends. I surely hope things go easy for them tomorrow.

4 hours ago, Coreece said:

But was I really wrong?  Why Laura and not Marco?  Why not every tropical disturbance that enters the boiling waters of the gulf? 

Not really. But then I didn't see it as much as a claim as a statement of the obvious. No one claimed every disturbance became a major hurricane. But there has been a fair bit of action thus far and the season really is just starting.