3 3
brenthutch

Green new deal equals magical thinking

10 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Even as consumers in Canada we don't do better with lower gas prices. We are a resource based economy to a large extent. When the price for resources are low, that is bad for our economy. Even as a consumer, having a bad economy is not good.

Nine out of the top ten of Canada’s exports benefit from lower energy costs.

4 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Nine out of the top ten of Canada’s exports benefit from lower energy costs.

That is just a little deceiving and simplified. The value of number 3 through 7 of that list doesn't even add up to the value of the first one on the list....oil.

The correlation between low oil and electrical machinery, gemstones, wood, precious metals and computers is pretty far fetched on top of that.

5 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

That is just a little deceiving and simplified. The value of number 3 through 7 of that list doesn't even add up to the value of the first one on the list....oil.

The correlation between low oil and....wood... is pretty far fetched on top of that.

Last I checked, chainsaws and logging vehicles ran on fossil fuels.(same with mining equipment)

22 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Last I checked, chainsaws and logging vehicles ran on fossil fuels.(same with mining equipment)

Clearly you don't understand the the lumber industry. The driving cost is stumpage fees. Those have to be paid otherwise the US complains about unfair subsidies. Lumber industry will happily pay 100x what they are currently paying for gas if they can get stumpage fees reduced.

That increase would also help our number 1 export....oil.

I know you are American and you think everything can be boiled down to memes or 140 character answers, but the world simply doesn't work that way. Which is why you are generally wrong.

How is Tesla? How is that recession you said could never happen?

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

Clearly you don't understand the the lumber industry. The driving cost is stumpage fees. Those have to be paid otherwise the US complains about unfair subsidies. Lumber industry will happily pay 100x what they are currently paying for gas if they can get stumpage fees reduced.

That increase would also help our number 1 export....oil.

I know you are American and you think everything can be boiled down to memes or 140 character answers, but the world simply doesn't work that way. Which is why you are generally wrong.

How is Tesla? How is that recession you said could never happen?

One number 4.8 million 

14 hours ago, brenthutch said:

One number 4.8 million 

9 hours ago, tonyhays said:

Might be a bit premature to pop the cork considering numerous states are reintroducing lockdown measures.

4 hours ago, headoverheels said:

So, about 1/3 reduction of the job losses since March, if you include the May gains.

True denial means you hang onto one concept as gospel indication of reality. Then regardless of what else occurs hold onto it. Like a drunk holding onto his empty 40 oz gin bottle. Hoping it will refill itself.

Like “The economy now is at 3%. Nobody thought it would be anywhere close. I think it could go to 4, 5, and maybe even 6%, ultimately.” – President Trump, Dec. 16, 2017

"Total nonfarm employment fell by a staggering 20.7 million jobs in April, largely erasing the gains from a decade of job growth. Despite an increase of 2.5 million jobs in May and 4.8 million jobs in June, job losses since February total 14.6 million. Private employment rose by 4.76 million jobs in June but remains 13.2 million below its February level. "

Furthermore  Instead of Eliminating the Debt, Trump Will Add $8.3 Trillion

So $2 trillion in debt for every year trump was president, the elimination of every job Obama created and what looks to be .9% annual growth over the four years of his presidency. By any metric the best of the worst presidents in all US history.

To be very honest, I think it’s hard to ascribe all of the rise in unemployment and the fall in GDP since COVID to Trump. It’s an outlier event. He owns the national response, and he owns the increase in the deficit, and he owns the tone set at the national level to COVID response. In fact, that increased deficit was his idea, no less. 

He’s a lousy president doing a lousy job, but given the generally noncompliant people in the US, there‘d’vê almost certainly been a double spike regardless. We can be real idiots leaning on our “freedom,” not realizing that perceived freedom is at someone else’s expense. It’s a human trait. 

Wendy P. 

18 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

How is Tesla?

Just signed a petition committing to buy a Cybertruck if he moves his plant here. [Don't anybody tell him - I'd prolly buy it anyway] I wonder if they come with bus connectors for me phone :)

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

He’s a lousy president doing a lousy job, but given the generally noncompliant people in the US, there‘d’vê almost certainly been a double spike regardless. We can be real idiots leaning on our “freedom,” not realizing that perceived freedom is at someone else’s expense. It’s a human trait. 

I think we would have seen a significant increase in people using PPE if the president AND the opposing party were all telling people to wear masks (and if they were doing it themselves.)

1 hour ago, billvon said:

I think we would have seen a significant increase in people using PPE if the president AND the opposing party were all telling people to wear masks (and if they were doing it themselves.)

I agree with that. 
Wendy P. 

2 hours ago, billvon said:

Hi Bill,

I think that is called 'opportunities lost.'    :(

Jerry Baumchen

On 7/4/2020 at 7:21 AM, wmw999 said:

To be very honest, I think it’s hard to ascribe all of the rise in unemployment and the fall in GDP since COVID to Trump. It’s an outlier event. He owns the national response, and he owns the increase in the deficit, and he owns the tone set at the national level to COVID response. In fact, that increased deficit was his idea, no less. 

Wendy P. 

Don’t disagree. However since he claims the positives, he also has to own the negatives. See Brenthutch above.

On 7/4/2020 at 8:49 AM, BIGUN said:

Just signed a petition committing to buy a Cybertruck if he moves his plant here. [Don't anybody tell him - I'd prolly buy it anyway] I wonder if they come with bus connectors for me phone :)

I am the buyers list here in Canada. But with a small refundable deposit, that doesn’t mean much lol

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2020/7/14/21319678/climate-change-renewable-energy-technology-innovation-net-zero-emissions

around 35% of the cumulative CO2 emissions reductions needed to shift to a sustainable path come from technologies currently at the prototype or demonstration phase,” the report says. “A further 40% of the reductions rely on technologies not yet commercially deployed on a mass-market scale.”

If clean energy technology isn’t even ready to hit the SDS’s net-zero-by-2070 target, how can it possibly hit net zero by 2050?”

Bottom line, the Green New Deal = magical thinking 

image.png.c2a8a24485fe7bff418fd86a6ba147e6.png

13 hours ago, brenthutch said:

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2020/7/14/21319678/climate-change-renewable-energy-technology-innovation-net-zero-emissions

around 35% of the cumulative CO2 emissions reductions needed to shift to a sustainable path come from technologies currently at the prototype or demonstration phase,” the report says. “A further 40% of the reductions rely on technologies not yet commercially deployed on a mass-market scale.”

If clean energy technology isn’t even ready to hit the SDS’s net-zero-by-2070 target, how can it possibly hit net zero by 2050?”

Bottom line, the Green New Deal = magical thinking 

image.png.c2a8a24485fe7bff418fd86a6ba147e6.png

So Green New Deal equals Magical thinking. Agreed, just to get that out of the way. So were you around when President Kennedy proposed putting a man on the moon? Did you call bullshit based on existing technology?

18 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

So Green New Deal equals Magical thinking. Agreed, just to get that out of the way. So were you around when President Kennedy proposed putting a man on the moon? Did you call bullshit based on existing technology?

What are they going to power it with - unicorn farts?  Moon fairies?  Maybe JFK will just wave a magic wand and levitate a man to the moon!  Stupid libs!