3 3
brenthutch

Green new deal equals magical thinking

8 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Brent,

Just so we can understand you, do you mean 'at' during the actual event; such as within the first 5 minutes, first 5 hours, first 5 days, first 5 years?

To me, the people who died months ( and maybe actually, years ) after Chernobyl, from being exposed, were a direct result of the actual event.

So, I would guess that you do not agree.

Jerry Baumchen

Japan will be relieved to know so many fewer people died from the Hiroshima and Nagasaki nukes.

4 hours ago, brenthutch said:

I said "at" and not "from"

You need to work on your reading comprehension. 

Ah! a true trump supporter. Never admit failure, never admit you're wrong, never accept a truthful narrative.

Perhaps the Japanese victims are to blame for not running away from the radiation fast enough?

Perhaps the Japanese victims are to blame for not buying and taking their potassium iodide pills immediately.

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

Ah! a true trump supporter. Never admit failure, never admit you're wrong, never accept a truthful narrative.

Perhaps the Japanese victims are to blame for not running away from the radiation fast enough?

Perhaps the Japanese victims are to blame for not buying and taking their potassium iodide pills immediately.

DJL, Jerry, Phil, I think you guy's are all missing the key point being made here. If Fukushima and 3 Mile Island were producing fossil fuels none of this would have happened. Capisce?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

DJL, Jerry, Phil, I think you guy's are all missing the key point being made here. If Fukushima and 3 Mile Island were producing fossil fuels none of this would have happened. Capisce?

Hi Joe,

But, but Benghazi; and those emails.

Jerry Baumchen

13 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

And do you know how many birds would've died if they were equivalently sized wind farms!?!?!?!?!?

On 6/29/2020 at 11:30 AM, Phil1111 said:

FIFY, right Brent?

I’m more concerned with the consumers than the investors.  We all benefit from low energy prices.  Companies go bankrupt, rocks do not.  I have taken a hiatus from SC because it is bad form to kick down.  I will just let Planet of the Humans and Apocalypse Never, marinate in the minds of the mentally greentarded.

On 6/29/2020 at 9:46 AM, SkyDekker said:

Thankfully the US doesn't subsidize these companies at all.....

Remember when all the conservatives couldn't stop talking about the $500 million loan to Solyndria, after they declared bankruptcy?  "Government choosing winners and losers?"  "Waste of taxpayer money?"

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

Who doesn't benefit from low energy prices?

Hi airdvr,

Ask all the people who moved to Williston, ND for jobs that existed only because of high oil prices and are now out of work and living in an area where is really no other work to be found.

Jerry Baumchen

43 minutes ago, kallend said:

Shale oil and gas, and fracking companies don't seem to be doing too well.

I took the answer as as a consumer, who doesn't benefit from low energy prices.

I can see how when you now miraculously care about the people that own the oil and gas companies, and their employees . . . that your answer makes sense.

1 hour ago, kallend said:

Shale oil and gas, and fracking companies don't seem to be doing too well.

You will be happy to know that more than half of the jobs lost have returned to the oil patch as prices recover and more and more rigs start back up.  The stress test imposed by COVID-19 will just make the industry stronger and more productive.  That is good for everyone.

10 hours ago, airdvr said:

Who doesn't benefit from low energy prices?

How about retailers?

Those selling the gas, deisel & heating oil.

Wisconsin has a 'minimum markup' law. Gas stations have to sell their gas at a minimum price above what they pay. It keeps the big chain guys from undercutting the competition and driving them out of business.

Back in 08 or so when gas was super high, those laws meant gas stations were reaping large profits and there was some talk of changing it (flat rate instead of percentage was suggested). Once prices dropped back down, that all disappeared.

So now the profit margin on gas has dropped significantly.

While many might go "Oh boo hoo, the gas retailers aren't making as much", the reality is that if there's no competition, big chains like Wal-Mart will have a monopoly on gas. Do you think Wal Mart wouldn't jack up the price to make more if they were the only seller in town?

2 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

I can see how when you now miraculously care about the people that own the oil and gas companies, and their employees . . . that your answer makes sense.

Not a very good job at moving the goalposts.

Nor a very good job of creating a strawman.

If you can't do better than being a weaseling Trump enabler, maybe you should go back into exile from SC..

4 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Even as consumers in Canada we don't do better with lower gas prices. We are a resource based economy to a large extent. When the price for resources are low, that is bad for our economy. Even as a consumer, having a bad economy is not good.