3 3
brenthutch

Green new deal equals magical thinking

17 minutes ago, billvon said:

Nope.  Just math and engineering.  

We've reached the usual point in this discussion, where subsidies are good when it advances your political agenda, and totally forgivable and understandable when it advances someone else's.  And taxes?  You think they're great when they come from things you hate - they are a plus, even, and would make you support them! -  but think they are crippling and evil when applied to things you support.

As usual.

https://www.accountingtools.com/articles/2017/5/15/depletion-method

3 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

You are confusing the accounting tool known as the depletion method and the tax break called the depletion allowance (sometimes also called percentage depletion or cost depletion.)  One is a method a company uses to accurately value a resource (like a coal bed) - the other is a tax subsidy that the IRS provides to oil, gas and coal companies.

From Investopedia:

The IRS provides another method of determining depletion – cost depletion. Cost depletion is easier to calculate and involves producers writing off the real cost of their investments based on the fraction of resources extracted. Since the percentage depletion deduction is a flat rate, the resulting tax break often exceeds the cost depletion deduction, thus, acting as a sizable subsidy to qualifying energy companies.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/percentage-depletion.asp

37 minutes ago, billvon said:

And taxes? 

That's what I don't get too.  Republican/Trump tax plan provides breaks for business and the response is "This is exactly what we need to fuel the economy, it means nothing but growth."  Tax breaks for renewables and energy efficiency "These things need to survive on their own in a free market! Solydra! Solydra!"

2 hours ago, DJL said:

That's what I don't get too.  Republican/Trump tax plan provides breaks for business and the response is "This is exactly what we need to fuel the economy, it means nothing but growth."  Tax breaks for renewables and energy efficiency "These things need to survive on their own in a free market! Solydra! Solydra!"

There is a big difference between letting a company keep some more of its hard earned cash and government handouts.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

There is a big difference between letting a company keep some more of its hard earned cash and government handouts.  

What specific handouts are you referring to?  Which funds from where and given to whom?  What is different about them than any government fund provided for research, development and business growth.  If this is how you feel then you should be able to answer this immediately, otherwise you're junk honking the same tired old horn.

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

But you just said that the value of a company depends on how much it pays in taxes!  "As soon as renewables contribute more in taxes than they receive in subsidies I will end my jihad on things green."  So you only "jihad" on companies that keep more of their hard earned cash, apparently.

However,  I agree that tax cuts are a good way to support important industries, and am happy to hear you now support extending the solar and EV tax credits, along with the other RETC's.

(edited)
On 7/27/2019 at 8:03 AM, kallend said:
On 7/27/2019 at 5:30 AM, BIGUN said:

My only objection to wind power is the sight of 100's of windmills littering the landscape. One cannot take I-40 west of Amarillo and not see them for miles. There's not even the attempt to mask them into the countryside. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/165366617540276633/  The sight of them disgusts me no less than walking for miles through the forest only to see a McDonalds plastic soda cup laying on the ground. Maybe someone should call Dyson to see what he could do to make them more aesthetically pleasing. 

I-40 west of Amarillo is devoid of any interest whatsoever until you get almost to Albuquerque

I ride that route 6-7 times a year.

I'm not saying they don't work. What I'm saying is they are intrusive. I hate that they litter the landscape.That is my opinion. the engineers could have been done a better job of designing them to not be intrusive why is it a can in the middle of the forest offends people, but a big white thrashing machine littering the entire native American landscape is okay.

Edited by BIGUN

11 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

I'm not saying they don't work. What I'm saying is they are intrusive. I hate that they litter the landscape.That is my opinion. the engineers could have been done a better job of designing them to not be intrusive why is it a can in the middle of the forest offends people, but a big white thrashing machine littering the entire native American landscape is okay.

Intention.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Senator Inslee just said that we are facing imminent catastrophe from the climate crisis.  Who agrees with him?

I'll go by your yardstick that in order for these claims to be valid that we should be seeing records broken and visible proof. 

Yes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BIGUN said:

You're really going to dislike metropolitan areas, major cities, industrial areas, major airports, shipping areas, beachfront high rise communities, factories....maybe you should just avoid highways in general.

Societies in developed countries build stuff. That shit is everywhere.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DJL said:

I'll go by your yardstick that in order for these claims to be valid that we should be seeing records broken and visible proof. 

Yes.

im·mi·nent
/ˈimənənt/
adjective
  1. 1. 
    about to happen.
    "they were in imminent danger of being swept away"
    synonyms:

impending, at hand, closenearapproaching, fast approaching, comingforthcoming, on the way, about to happen, upon us

cat·a·stroph·ic
    /ˌkadəˈsträfik/
    adjective
    1. involving or causing sudden great damage or suffering.
      "a catastrophic earthquake"
      • extremely unfortunate or unsuccessful.
        "catastrophic mismanagement of the economy"
        synonyms: disastrouscalamitouscataclysmicruinoustragicfataldireawfulterribledreadfulblackwoefulgrievouslamentablemiserableunfortunate

1 minute ago, brenthutch said:
im·mi·nent
/ˈimənənt/
adjective
  1. 1. 
    about to happen.
    synonyms:

impending, at hand, closenearapproaching, fast approaching, comingforthcoming, on the way, about to happen, upon us

cat·a·stroph·ic
    /ˌkadəˈsträfik/
    adjective
        synonyms: disastrouscalamitouscataclysmicruinoustragicfataldireawfulterribledreadfulblackwoefulgrievouslamentablemiserableunfortunate

Yes, imminent .  Actually, not even imminent but now, as in right now.

https://www.apnews.com/65694195c91d4b62b275bd14a6955b4c

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

Senator Inslee just said that we are facing imminent catastrophe from the climate crisis.  Who agrees with him?

Are you against this message just because you think he's literally trying to say that you're going to die tomorrow in some sort of Hollywood style apocalyptic scenario where the Earth rips out from under your feet and you're devoured by gay lizard people?

(edited)
7 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I just don’t think we share the same definition of imminent and catastrophe.  Yang even said we need to move to higher ground NOW.

On a geographic time scale he's correct.  See this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.4198625,-76.2533944,482m/data=!3m1!1e3

That's my girlfriend's family property.  She needs to sell that NOW, as in right fucking NOW because it's going to be unsellable in about 20 years.  In the meantime I'm seeding the shit out of the interior shoreline with oyster shell and spat because it's going to be some primo oyster reef if she doesn't sell it.

There are plenty of examples of shoreline that will be entirely unusable soon for which the decisions are being made about its value at this very minute.  That doesn't mean he's saying there's some sort of tidal wave bearing down on us and we need to run like our asses are on fire.

Edited by DJL

29 minutes ago, DJL said:

Yes, imminent .  Actually, not even imminent but now, as in right now.

https://www.apnews.com/65694195c91d4b62b275bd14a6955b4c

I don’t consider ice melt in summer to be CATASTROPHIC, I will be going to A beach house in NC next week, if it is under water I may change my mind, if it is still there my position will be strengthened.

1 minute ago, brenthutch said:

I don’t consider ice melt in summer to be CATASTROPHIC, I will be going to A beach house in NC next week, if it is under water I may change my mind, if it is still there my position will be strengthened.

Well, these guys using highly dramatic language doesn't negate the urgency by which we need to deal with this.  NC beach houses go underwater all the time but you're probably good for the next 14 days.  That area is putting a lot of thought into how they're going to build for the next 100 years because even without rising sea levels they're already dealing with the inherent erosion issues of living on sand next to the ocean.

5 hours ago, brenthutch said:
im·mi·nent
/ˈimənənt/
adjective
  1. 1. 
    about to happen.
    synonyms:

cat·a·stroph·ic
    /ˌkadəˈsträfik/
    adjective

Looks like reasonable definitions.  Yes, they are imminent since some have already happened and more are expected.  Yes, they are catastrophic because they cause great damage and suffering.  (86 dead and $16 billion in damage for a single fire is catastrophic even to the most intentionally deaf deniers.)