3 3
brenthutch

Green new deal equals magical thinking

1 minute ago, billvon said:

Nope.  

I figure you posted that, hoping that no one would check to see where it came from.  You got caught; better luck fooling us next time.

IF NOTHING ELSE CHANGES, more heat means more drought.  Simple as that.

You didn't check very carefully.  The article I posted is from 2019 not 2017.

If more heat means more drought, where is the global increase in drought?

1 minute ago, billvon said:

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

I made no such statement.  I asked a question, a rhetorical one at that.  To think otherwise is willful ignorance.

Unbelievably lame excuse.  You were caught posting junk, tried to get out of it by implying that it came from a legitimate source, which you then proceeded to insult.

The forum rules prevent me from calling you what you deserve to be called, but we ALL know what you are.

10 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Oh geez you really don't think these through do you. It took me all of about 30 seconds to work out who YOUR source was.

Genetic literacy project? You are making yourself look foolish.

Rolls-Royce gets into the electric aircraft business:

“Electrification is set to have as dramatic an impact on aviation as the replacement of piston engines by gas turbines,” said Rolls-Royce Electrical Director Rob Watson. “We have already made significant strides in realizing our strategy of ‘championing electrification’ and this move will accelerate our ambitions in aerospace by adding vital skills and technology to our portfolio. It brings us increased scale and additional expertise as we develop a product range of hybrid power and propulsion systems.”

On 6/21/2019 at 4:33 AM, kallend said:

Rolls-Royce gets into the electric aircraft business:

“Electrification is set to have as dramatic an impact on aviation as the replacement of piston engines by gas turbines,” said Rolls-Royce Electrical Director Rob Watson. “We have already made significant strides in realizing our strategy of ‘championing electrification’ and this move will accelerate our ambitions in aerospace by adding vital skills and technology to our portfolio. It brings us increased scale and additional expertise as we develop a product range of hybrid power and propulsion systems.”

I think this will be an interesting time for skydiving.  Posted a fresh link over in General Skydiving for discussion:

In Oregon, as the state legislature prepares as cap-and-trade bill, republican lawmakers showed their integrity by . . .  turning tail and running away. Apparently they were fearful that they'd be held accountable for their votes.

===========

Oregon Republicans Are On The Lam Over A Climate Bill

June 24, 20194:05 PM ET

Sarah Zimmerman/AP

Republican state Senators in Oregon have refused to show up for work since Thursday. That same day, Democratic Gov. Kate Brown authorized state police to track down and return Republicans to the state Capitol in Salem.

The sticking point is a vote on a policy that could impact every Oregonian and dictate how Oregon fights climate change for decades to come.

State Sen. Tim Knopp, who represents Bend, Or., spoke with NPR's Morning Edition Monday from an undisclosed location in the state of Idaho. "We are in a protest," he said.

=============

Nothing says "integrity" like running away and hiding in another state to avoid doing your job.

Well, I guess there's one additional way that they could prove how patriotic they are - threaten to kill cops.

=============

Oregon Republican senator threatens state troopers, warns them to ‘come heavily armed’

Updated Jun 19, 2019; Posted Jun 19, 2019

By Hillary Borrud | The Oregonian/OregonLive

Tensions were already smoldering in the Oregon Senate Wednesday, when Sen. Brian Boquist, R-Dallas, poured gasoline on the situation, suggesting he would shoot and potentially kill any state trooper sent to haul him unwillingly back to the Capitol.

After Senate Republican Leader Herman Baertschiger Jr. said Tuesday that his caucus was “prepared to take actions” to prevent passage of a major climate change bill, Gov. Brown announced on Wednesday that she was ready to answer Republican stonewalling by calling lawmakers back for a special session. . . .

“This is what I told the superintendent,” Boquist said, referring to OSP Superintendent Travis Hampton. “Send bachelors and come heavily armed. I’m not going to be a political prisoner in the state of Oregon. It’s just that simple.”

=============

31 minutes ago, Stumpy said:

It's shameless.

Hi Stumpy,

Yes, it is.  I am in Oregon & this is all over the news.

In all fairness, both the R's & the D's have done this before.  IMO it shines a bad light on all of them.

As for Brian Boquist; I had not heard of him prior to this.  He can only be described as A Nutter; and there are too many of them out there.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  IMO we should change our state Constitution so that anyone who would do this in the future would simply be self-removed from office.

52 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Stumpy,

Yes, it is.  I am in Oregon & this is all over the news.

In all fairness, both the R's & the D's have done this before.  IMO it shines a bad light on all of them.

As for Brian Boquist; I had not heard of him prior to this.  He can only be described as A Nutter; and there are too many of them out there.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  IMO we should change our state Constitution so that anyone who would do this in the future would simply be self-removed from office.

Agreed. Or just remove the minimum number constraint. If only one person turns up, they get to be dictator for the day/

Genius agriculture secretary Sonny Perdue explains climate change:

"Obviously scientists -- many scientists believe that it's human caused, other scientists believe it's not."

Interviewer: "So if it's not human caused, then what is it?"

"You know, I think it's weather patterns, frankly. And you know, and they change, as I said. It rained yesterday, it's a nice pretty day today. So the climate does change in short increments and in long increments."

Reminds me of fellow genius Bill O'Reilly:

I'll tell you why [religion] is not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that. You can't explain why the tide goes in . . .Yeah, see, the water — the tide comes in and it goes out, Mr. Silverman. It always comes in."

17 hours ago, billvon said:

In Oregon, as the state legislature prepares as cap-and-trade bill, republican lawmakers showed their integrity by . . .  turning tail and running away. Apparently they were fearful that they'd be held accountable for their votes.

The republican no show prevented the democrat majority from steamrolling them once again, effectively securing a victory and allowing them to represent their voters' interests even when faced with threats of arrest and $500/day fines.  It's not too often that you find find representatives willing to make such personal sacrifices for their constituents. 

18 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

In all fairness, both the R's & the D's have done this before.

Yep, but when the R's do it, it means they lack integrity.  When the D's do it, it's just good strategy.  If the D's did this for legislation related to the wall, abortion, or LGBT issues, they'd be heralded as civil rights heroes of the 21st century.

17 hours ago, Stumpy said:

just remove the minimum number constraint.

That's pretty much what it comes down to, or they could lower the minimum to 16/30 rather than 20/30, or they could just do what the U.S Senate does and presume there is a quorum even though there seldomly is - and the only way to challenge it is for someone to motion for a quorum call/absence of quorum.

At the end of the day tho, it's like they say, "don't hate the player, hate the game."

Yep, but when the R's do it, it means they lack integrity.  When the D's do it, it's just good strategy.  If the D's did this for legislation related to the wall, abortion, or LGBT issues, they'd be heralded as civil rights heroes of the 21st century.

Well obviously they have the right of it.  They feel good about their fight - so hypocrisy is irrelevant.

9 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Well obviously they have the right of it.  They feel good about their fight - so hypocrisy is irrelevant.

Right.  And the guy threatening to kill cops?  Why, he's a hero!  No hypocrisy at all for a "law and order" candidate to threaten to kill cops.

Meanwhile, Republicans on Reddit are 100% behind killing cops: "No problems shooting a cop trying to strip rights from Citizens. If he calls for help I’d come." "Cross our line in the sand, see what happens."  Vote with the "ammo box."

6 minutes ago, billvon said:

Right.  And the guy threatening to kill cops?  Why, he's a hero!  No hypocrisy at all for a "law and order" candidate to threaten to kill cops.

Meanwhile, Republicans on Reddit are 100% behind killing cops: "No problems shooting a cop trying to strip rights from Citizens. If he calls for help I’d come." "Cross our line in the sand, see what happens."  Vote with the "ammo box."

that was stupid of Boquist to make that statement. The Reddit remarks remind me of the Malheur idiots. You are right you can't claim to be a member of the law and order party and at the same time break the law and threaten to kill cops.

It was the same thing I was getting at in the other thread. I know no one wants to associate with nazi's but it just struck me funny with the "all inclusive" except them thing

7 hours ago, billvon said:

This is, of course, the same crowd that claimed "elections have consequences" when anyone complained about what the Republicans were doing.

10 hours ago, billvon said:

Yeah - all that is exactly what refusing to go to work is equal to.

Refuse to go to work and vote = Killing Cops now - 

That liberal mind is fascinating.

12 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Yeah - all that is exactly what refusing to go to work is equal to.

Refuse to go to work and vote = Killing Cops now -

No.  Saying he would kill cops = killing cops now.  That's why he said "send bachelors" - so that when he murdered them they would not leave families behind.

Really, I mean even FOX News is reporting on Boquist's threats.  He's even confirmed those threats - “Nothing thinly veiled. I have been in political coup attempts. I have been held hostage overseas. I have been jailed politically overseas … Not going to be arrested as a political prisoner in Oregon period.” 

Are you unable to see them?  Or are you just pretending they don't exist?  The conservative mind is fascinating.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

No.  Saying he would kill cops = killing cops now.  That's why he said "send bachelors" - so that when he murdered them they would not leave families behind.

Really, I mean even FOX News is reporting on Boquist's threats.  He's even confirmed those threats - “Nothing thinly veiled. I have been in political coup attempts. I have been held hostage overseas. I have been jailed politically overseas … Not going to be arrested as a political prisoner in Oregon period.” 

Are you unable to see them?  Or are you just pretending they don't exist?  The conservative mind is fascinating.

. . . and you believe that is a real possibility and not a rant?

4 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

. . . and you believe that is a real possibility and not a rant?

Well, they asked him if he was just making some thinly veiled rhetorical threat.  He answered quite explicitly - it was not thinly veiled, they weren't taking him in.  

So to your point perhaps he's a pathological liar.  But if cops stopped a black man on the street, and the man said "I'll kill any cop who tries to violate my rights, so you all better not have any families" - we all know how that would end.  And you'd support the cops in that case.

7 minutes ago, billvon said:

Well, they asked him if he was just making some thinly veiled rhetorical threat.  He answered quite explicitly - it was not thinly veiled, they weren't taking him in.  

So to your point perhaps he's a pathological liar.  But if cops stopped a black man on the street, and the man said "I'll kill any cop who tries to violate my rights, so you all better not have any families" - we all know how that would end.  And you'd support the cops in that case.

In that case - proceed with extreme caution and bring his happy ass in.

It won't be that happy anymore - but he should be taught that he can not make those kind of threats - Lock Him Up.