3 3
brenthutch

Green new deal equals magical thinking

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 2:25 PM, billvon said:
5 minutes ago, DJL said:

I'm not sure, maybe you can help me with this.   I scrolled down the page and at the bottom it said we're in the hottest 60 month period since 1920.  Am I reading it wrong?

I am sited YTD not last 60 months (which includes a strong El Nino).  

17 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I am sited YTD not last 60 months (which includes a strong El Nino).  

So the one month of US temperatures bears more weight than the 60 month average?

47 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

It’s hard to believe that we are in the midst of a global warming catastrophe when the US has had below average temperatures all this year. 

And there have been no mass shootings in almost a week.  Clearly the threat of mass shootings in the US is now over, and we will never see another one.

37 minutes ago, billvon said:

And there have been no mass shootings in almost a week.  Clearly the threat of mass shootings in the US is now over, and we will never see another one.

The odds of being killed in a mass shooting are about one in 110,000 (about the same as being killed by a dog) which is much greater than the odds of your life being negatively impacted by man made climate change.  So... you will just have to forgive me as I fill up my wife's SUV with premium dinosaur bones.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

The odds of being killed in a mass shooting are about one in 110,000 (about the same as being killed by a dog) which is much greater than the odds of your life being negatively impacted by man made climate change.

Given that most of California was on water rationing - and given that there are 40 million people in California - your math doesn't quite work.

(edited)
20 minutes ago, billvon said:
37 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

The odds of being killed in a mass shooting are about one in 110,000 (about the same as being killed by a dog) which is much greater than the odds of your life being negatively impacted by man made climate change.

Given that most of California was on water rationing - and given that there are 40 million people in California. . . 

Well there's the problem, given that 40 million people living around the desert are demanding fresh water, most of California was on water rationing.

Edit - and to tie this back to mass shootings, we don't have water shortages here in the Great Lakes unless you live in Flint where the Republicans were feeding lead into the water supply till the citizens went crazy and started killing each other.  Part of the decline in crime over the past 30 years has been attributed to the reduced exposure to lead.

Edited by Coreece

4 hours ago, billvon said:

Given that most of California was on water rationing - and given that there are 40 million people in California - your math doesn't quite work.

Was on water rationing, was..... now thanks to global warming, your reservoirs are brimming and your snowpack is at record levels.  So yes my math works.  As I have said many times, the impact of mankind on the climate has run the gamut from benign to beneficial.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, brenthutch said:

It’s hard to believe that we are in the midst of a global warming catastrophe when the US has had below average temperatures all this year.

The US covers just 6% of the globe's land mass. To say nothing of the ocean surface. Which makes your statistic rather meaningless in the big picture.

4 hours ago, gowlerk said:

The US covers just 6% of the globe's land mass. To say nothing of the ocean surface. Which makes your statistic rather meaningless in the big picture.

Well, he did write "It’s hard to believe", which is true given the propensity of the deniers to lie about the data and appeal to ignorance,

(edited)
59 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

In a few days NOAA will publish the global temperature.  I am breaking out my sous vide machine to prepare the crow that I will be serving.  

Then let's make ourselves a  handshake that the information from NOAA regarding global averages and their interpretation of global trends is a solid foundation for the action we need to take.

Also, can you link you location you're referring to who has stated that they will publish the global temps.

EDIT (Found it): https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/201904

Currently we're in the 3rd hottest Jan-April trend since records started in 1880.  The first warmest period was in 2016, the second hottest 2017, the 4th 2015.  The 10 hottest have all been in the last 20 years.

ytd-horserace-201904.png

Edited by DJL

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

In a few days NOAA will publish the global temperature.  I am breaking out my sous vide machine to prepare the crow that I will be serving.  

Just so we get it straight and referencing the source you site above for serving crow, can you tell us what serving crow will look like on the chart I posted of global averages?

(edited)
35 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Remember, we are talking about global warming, not global warmer.  If the black line is not on top than it is bon appetit for the reality denying warmists.

So the black dot needs to jump above the trend of the year having the third hottest average in a century in order for Global warming to be validated?  Global warming is entirely invalidated if 2019 is only the third hottest year?

Edit:  Would you mind drawing the dot where it need to be for crow eating?

Edit2: But the black line is already not on top, it's the third one down.  So doesn't that mean that we already should be eating crow (Even though it's higher than the 2018 line)?

Edited by DJL

Your source is using 1998 as it's benchmark, a year that was so anomalously high (0.6 C above the century average) that it still ranks within the top 10 hottest years of the century.  That's what you're using to show that the remaining 9 years are not that big of a deal?

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

Remember, we are talking about global warming, not global warmer.  If the black line is not on top than it is bon appetit for the reality denying warmists.

This post is as funny as the "there's no such thing as climate change - it ended in 1998!" post.

11 minutes ago, DJL said:

Your source is using 1998 as it's benchmark, a year that was so anomalously high (0.6 C above the century average) that it still ranks within the top 10 hottest years of the century.  That's what you're using to show that the remaining 9 years are not that big of a deal?

Oh wow - thats as good a source as RushMC's favourite :D

From the Tampa Bay Times (but this data is making the rounds lately)

The average temperature for Florida in May was 78.8 degrees, the highest monthly average since record keeping started in 1895, according to data form the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. That bested the previous record of 75.1 degrees, set first in 1928 then again in 1940, by a sizeable 3.7 degrees.

NOAA data also shows that Florida was the only state to set a new heat record. Georgia and the Carolinas all had their second-warmest Mays, while Virginia had its third.

So "The number are the numbers guys".

5 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I guess you have to attack the messenger if you can’t handle the message.  The number are the numbers guys.

I already addressed the numbers.  The messenger is also a hack but let's not get side-tracked. Tell me what you think about the fact that the top 10 hottest years (in global average) of the century are all within the last 20 years.

10 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I guess you have to attack the messenger if you can’t handle the message.  The number are the numbers guys.

Yes they are.

Warmest years in history, in order:

2016 (warmest)

Wow!  Remember when 1998 was supposedly the hottest year ever, and it represented the end of global warming?  Now it barely makes the top 10.