3 3
brenthutch

Green new deal equals magical thinking

42 minutes ago, richravizza said:

My Apolgies to those offended.

"The Green New Deal"

If you could buy your salvation, for your prosterity,for the sake of humanity,and for the miracal that is our natural world, what would you pay?

Drum roll please...          

Well for  just     $93 Trillion Dollars  Salvation can be had.

That right folks!

May sound a bit steep, but think of what you'll get!!!

For just  15  easy annual payments of EVERYTHING.

If you can't pay it, no prob, we'll have your prodigy co-sign.They're worth it,and so are You.

I'm with Her. No shit.

The cost of the GND is estimated at "93 Trillion" divide it by  total federal revenue at about 6.5T.

I would waste any money on "buying my salvation".

Religion is insanity.

• Like 1

Bill I admirer your fortitude, and mental athleticism. You simply refuse stay on course in your own use logic or like most, just decide to ignore it.Skillfully snaking your way around any question better than most politicians.

'Peak oil' was a bad fail theory dating back to the late 60s. It inferred that the only hydrocarbons we have are in the form of "proven reserves".With the advent of 3D seismic imaging, horizontal drilling, fracking technology we now have more proven reserves, than when oil was first discovered.No mention of the vast supply of nat gas we didn't even know we had or were impossible/uneconomical.No mention of innovation or different resources.

The logic of Hydrocarbons being a finite, is sound,on its face.

But it ignores Everything else .Technology, inovation even greed.Seriously flawed.

With a little introspect into an alarmist veiw of the apocalypse,runaway warming and the release of methane hydrates, we find another resouce we didnt even know we had.

3 hours ago, billvon said:

Exactly.  The panels cost $$.  In Vermont they would cost more $$ for the same energy.

They cost more than just $$ and you didnt mention how you were going to keep your childern from freezing to death.

Would you bet your life on a couple more battery packs or solar panels?

4 hours ago, billvon said:

Yep.  I'd rather do neither, but given the choice, fracking is better than mountaintop removal.

Argeement again, yes.

In other words, it's better to mine for ten pounds of cobalt than 200 tons of coal, even if both use poor mining practices.

Thanks for being honest.

In other words, it's better to mine for ten pounds of cobalt than 200 tons of coal, even if both use poor mining practices.

We still destroy the enviroment for energy.https://www.statista.com/statistics/268011/top-countries-in-rare-earth-mine-production/

Awsome side step from rare elements to Cobalt. I'll just let it go..

Yep.  There are problems.  Still way, way better than the damage done by coal mining and fracking.

did you add fracking as a typo?,I'll assume you did.

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

this is what I have read :

The American Action Forum estimates that, between 2020 and 2029, the energy and environmental components of the Green New Deal would cost $8.3 trillion to $12.3 trillion, or $52,000 to $72,000 per household.Feb 26, 2019

Again, it's not that hard. The AAF and sister AAN are right wing groups established and funded solely to attack democratic ideas and candidates.

It's the equivalent of Marcs wattsupwiththat BS.

Their estimates are chocolate teapot useless.

51 minutes ago, Stumpy said:

Again, it's not that hard. The AAF and sister AAN are right wing groups established and funded solely to attack democratic ideas and candidates.

It's the equivalent of Marcs wattsupwiththat BS.

Their estimates are chocolate teapot useless.

OK - so how much will it be, in your estimates?

Surely you have a trusted worthy source, or do you just try to knock everyone else's down and offer no solution.

I had an employee for a short while that did that.

He's come to the meeting table with a list of problems, and not one solution.  He's no longer with us.

6 hours ago, richravizza said:

Bill I admirer your fortitude, and mental athleticism. You simply refuse stay on course in your own use logic or like most, just decide to ignore it.Skillfully snaking your way around any question better than most politicians.

If you say so!

'Peak oil' was a bad fail theory dating back to the late 60s. It inferred that the only hydrocarbons we have are in the form of "proven reserves".With the advent of 3D seismic imaging, horizontal drilling, fracking technology we now have more proven reserves, than when oil was first discovered

So you honestly think oil for fuel will last forever?  Honestly?

The logic of Hydrocarbons being a finite, is sound,on its face.

Ah.  So oil will not last forever.  Thank you for admitting that.  So we agree that peak oil will, in fact, occur.

The astronauts on the ISS do - and they are in a far more dangerous environment than I am.  So yes, I'd bet my life on them.

We still destroy the enviroment for energy.

All energy sources damage the environment.  Wind and solar just damage it less.  As long as we damage the environment more slowly than it can restore itself, we are good.  Reducing coal was a big step forward.

did you add fracking as a typo?,I'll assume you did.

Nope.  Fracking does a lot of damage and uses resources (specifically water) that are in very short supply.

7 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

this is what I have read :

The American Action Forum estimates that, between 2020 and 2029, the energy and environmental components of the Green New Deal would cost $8.3 trillion to $12.3 trillion, or $52,000 to $72,000 per household.Feb 26, 2019

Given that the GND has no specific "environmental components" that's pretty funny.  It's a general hand-wavy plan that does not call out a single specific action.

But 8.3 TRILLION!  Wow, that sounds really scary!  Sign me up for your newsletter.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

'Peak oil' was a bad fail theory dating back to the late 60s. It inferred that the only hydrocarbons we have are in the form of "proven reserves".With the advent of 3D seismic imaging, horizontal drilling, fracking technology we now have more proven reserves, than when oil was first discovered

So you honestly think oil for fuel will last forever?  Honestly?

We've Been Incorrectly Predicting Peak Oil For Over a Century

If we were talking about all hydrocarbons and in all form, then Yes.

As far as Oil, No.  

I'll agree with you, one day.... 

I believed that in the late 70's, I was wrong.In the 80's, I was wrong. Then in the 90's.I was wrong again.So, Iv'e been made a fool.

Then in the late nineties when all hope was lost,that America would be dependent on other nations.

New  Inovativation and technology developed that were imposibilities just decades ago.

17 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

OK - so how much will it be, in your estimates?

Surely you have a trusted worthy source, or do you just try to knock everyone else's down and offer no solution.

I had an employee for a short while that did that.

He's come to the meeting table with a list of problems, and not one solution.  He's no longer with us.

You realise you've just described the operating practices of the AAF don't you? I suspect it may have slipped past you.

22 hours ago, richravizza said:

Awesome! 

1:30 start point to avoid in your face blood and guts

I find it quite amusing in the context of AGW debate when media combines sensationalism and ignorance on multiple fronts.  Politics, media, sensationalism, fear and "blood and guts" simply don't hold up in the real world.

Are you kidding me!?!?  ONE turtle gets a plastic straw stuck in its nose and half of the country goes batshit crazy and starts banning plastic straws.  It is politics and fear that drive the whole AGW debate.

”OMG! We are running out of oil while we are destroying the planet!  We have to do something!  Think about the cute fuzzy polar bears”

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

”OMG! We are running out of oil while we are destroying the planet!  We have to do something!  Think about the cute fuzzy polar bears”

. . .and the orange-spotted filefish and the golden toad!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kallend said:
4 hours ago, Coreece said:

. . .and the orange-spotted filefish and the golden toad!

They have just as much right to live on this planet as humans do.

I think the overall point is that it's just stupid/hypocritical to exploit the death of animals just to support your preferred energy source.

29 minutes ago, Coreece said:

I think the overall point is that it's just stupid/hypocritical to exploit the death of animals just to support your preferred energy source.

The point was missed  completely you were supposed to skip past 130  

And since this is my backyard  you seem to think that it’s wonderful 

most of you  see it as a vast desolate lifeless area but . ramifications and impacts are abound.

Even the raging  wildfires are stopped here .most would think that’s a good thing  but that’s further from the truth

Fire is  essential in this ecosystem for it to thrive

2A76236B-03D7-4A03-B53D-FA058AFE6F17.jpeg

E6FDA6A9-DDEC-4978-AC91-080E7ED89365.jpeg

8AEAD773-3E5F-4225-AFE7-4B32B659C646.jpeg

6DFC8CAF-2C56-4260-9258-87A5AC8E9F9A.jpeg

0175B6B9-2C36-4499-B87A-DD912015A43D.jpeg

8438A310-F4D4-4202-906F-859E61E343E7.jpeg

6F401AA4-FDE9-4A8A-8983-45088BA4576F.jpeg

975C4B93-089C-4E10-A2FC-47FB97FFA281.jpeg

8DB2360D-AB05-406D-9879-F1EECF92DE87.jpeg

On 5/18/2019 at 5:10 AM, ScottishJohn said:

What about these images

images.jpeg.jpg

0095_300-800x532.jpg

FOR3AL5.jpg

Well if you Remove the Last  Picture of ENVIROMENTAL TERRORISM. Caused by a piece of shit  Rabbid Human,that was Pinned in a corner,contemplating its own demise then...

I would say they look the same,

except for the spinning pinwheels of moral righteousness,atop all those  dericks.

I thought enviormentalist Hated mining.I do in any form,unfortunaty we must weigh the risk and benifits.Risks we Can't or Dont want to see, We have created a new monster.As if mining wasn't bad enough.

We the collective idiots.

Have decided to unleash an Entire new mining Industry, just more diverse.

Just guess where the majority of these essential R.E.E. In places that could care less about the enviroment,or human life,Workers rights safety 

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a3mavb/we-dont-mine-enough-rare-earth-metals-to-replace-fossil-fuels-with-renewable-energy

On 5/17/2019 at 7:31 PM, billvon said:

The astronauts on the ISS do - and they are in a far more dangerous environment than I am.  So yes, I'd bet my life on them.

Mental athleticism,you deffinatly never spent a winter in Vermont.

I think you forgot, space dont have No clouds, rain or snow.

7 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Are you kidding me!?!?  ONE turtle gets a plastic straw stuck in its nose and half of the country goes batshit crazy and starts banning plastic straws.  It is politics and fear that drive the whole AGW debate.

Better than "OMG!  AOC is taking over the country and will bankrupt us!  She will take trillions from our wallets, put the UN in charge and make us all gay marry!"

5 minutes ago, richravizza said:

Mental athleticism,you deffinatly never spent a winter in Vermont.

I think you forgot, space dont have No clouds, rain or snow.

You'd be wrong on the first count.  (New Hampshire actually.)

On the second count, definitely.  It would be a LOT easier to live in space if it had any of those things.  As it stands, they rely on their technology to never fail.

8 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Well, it's a lot more than ONE plastic straw causing problems. 

Its more like 500 million. Per DAY.

And those straws (think about 500 million straws) are only a tiny fraction of the plastic garbage in the oceans.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2018/07/news-plastic-drinking-straw-history-ban/