Jak3slice

First AFF

Question

Went on my first Tandem jump from 13,500 a week ago, always wanted to try skydiving. Went really well, felt comfortable and arched almost immediately after exiting and was able to relax and breathe.  Decided to sign up for aff 1. Kind of a little nervous, more so than the first jump. It’s next weekend and wondering if this is a good step? 

7 answers to this question

Define "Good Step".

There are risks. You can get hurt. You can die. Student jumps are pretty safe, but not completely so. 
The comments that 'the drive to the airport is more dangerous' sound good, but are not supported by the statistics. IIRC, an average jump has the same risk as riding a motorcycle about 30 miles. 

There are things you can do to manage that risk, but it never goes away.

There is also a reasonable risk that you will fall in love with it. If that happens, say goodbye to:
Free weekends.
All your money.
All your friends who don't jump (don't worry, you'll make new ones). 

However, this will bring you into a very cool world. People like no other. Opportunities to go places, do things and meet people you won't believe. 

It's not super surprising that you are more nervous for the second jump. The first time, you had no idea what to expect. This time you do. 

Pay attention to your instructors. If you don't understand something, go over it again (and again and again) until you do. Stay hydrated, stay nourished. 
Have fun. 

Definitely a good step. As mentioned above as long as you know about the risks involved.

I did the same as you, tandem then 2 weeks later I was at the FJC. I always wanted to skydive but I was competing in a different sport and didnt have the time nor the extra cash to do both so once I "retired" lol I went to what i have always wanted to do, fly.

3 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

There is also a reasonable risk that you will fall in love with it. If that happens, say goodbye to:
Free weekends.
All your money.

This. All of this. :D

9 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Define "Good Step".

There are risks. You can get hurt. You can die. Student jumps are pretty safe, but not completely so. 
The comments that 'the drive to the airport is more dangerous' sound good, but are not supported by the statistics. IIRC, an average jump has the same risk as riding a motorcycle about 30 miles. 

Free weekends.
All your money.

However, this will bring you into a very cool world. People like no other. Opportunities to go places, do things and meet people you won't believe. 

It's not super surprising that you are more nervous for the second jump. The first time, you had no idea what to expect. This time you do. 

Pay attention to your instructors. If you don't understand something, go over it again (and again and again) until you do. Stay hydrated, stay nourished. 
Have fun. 

By “good step” I mean somewhat appropriate for someone who has only been on 1 tandem. I realize that every one is different and some people will progress faster.Not really a stranger to situations that are dangerous b it I do go lengths in doing the safest possible ways. 

Thanks or response, hopefully weather allows here in the pnw

4 hours ago, Jak3slice said:

By “good step” I mean somewhat appropriate for someone who has only been on 1 tandem. I realize that every one is different and some people will progress faster.Not really a stranger to situations that are dangerous b it I do go lengths in doing the safest possible ways. 

Thanks or response, hopefully weather allows here in the pnw

Well, sure. It's the obvious next step. 

Your choices are to not jump again, do more tandems, or go AFF. 

Some places require tandems as part of AFF. Real, working, teaching, learning tandems, not just a carnival ride. The student has tasks to perform and skills to demonstrate. The student has to go through the First Jump Course to learn that stuff, then do the 'working' tandem.
But to just do another 'fun' tandem would not be terribly beneficial.

On 3/26/2019 at 8:35 PM, wolfriverjoe said:

Well, sure. It's the obvious next step. 

Your choices are to not jump again, do more tandems, or go AFF. 

Some places require tandems as part of AFF. Real, working, teaching, learning tandems, not just a carnival ride. The student has tasks to perform and skills to demonstrate. The student has to go through the First Jump Course to learn that stuff, then do the 'working' tandem.
But to just do another 'fun' tandem would not be terribly beneficial.

Appreciate your responses, was nervous for this one. Was a  Standard aff1, two coaches and I. Passed it,pulled myself stand up landing where I was supposed to be. Taking all the advice I got after Jumping (from instructors) and keeping it up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jak3slice said:

Appreciate your responses, was nervous for this one. Was a  Standard aff1, two coaches and I. Passed it,pulled myself stand up landing where I was supposed to be. Taking all the advice I got after Jumping (from instructors) and keeping it up.

Congrats !!