DylanH

Max vertical descent rate

For those who are using Flysights while under smaller wings on the higher end of the WL spectrum, what is the max vertical descent rate you have been able to get to? I would be interested to know all the details along with the speed(wing type, size, WL and altitude).

(edited)

There are a good amount of samples here if you're interested on maximum speeds on a landing.

if you just want to know maximum theoretical speeds (terminal speed), you can open high and spin several rotations to reach terminal, unfortunately that won't give you terminal speed at ground level due to air density.

My max vertical on a turn now is 87mph, ~2.7 WL, Airwolf 75 sq ft, not using full RDS, 450 turn, dropzone at 1000ft MSL. (flysight file linked).

08-37-02 awesome 87.CSV

05-44-00 clean 86.CSV

Edited by daffes

Thanks for the data daffes. I am interested to see both max speeds on landing and the terminal speeds up high. I realize the up high terminal speeds can vary greatly based on air density etc. but I figured if people post all the info or a flysight file along with the number you can still get a general idea. I have had an opportunity to fly most of the modern wings out currently, but not enough jumps on each to load them all up as much as I'd like. So this is my way of trying to get that data instead. On that post you linked I can't seem to find out how to see the data files on each of the posts since the website overhaul. Do you know how to view them? They don't seem to show up like yours have on here.

On 4/1/2019 at 10:47 AM, DylanH said:

On that post you linked I can't seem to find out how to see the data files on each of the posts since the website overhaul. Do you know how to view them? They don't seem to show up like yours have on here.

Hum =/, let's report a bug to the moderators.

By the way, how are your numbers looking like? I'll try to get the max speeds up-high as well.

(edited)

My best vertical speed run up high is 105mph at 9k on a Petra 68 at 3.3ish. I haven't had a chance to take my Petra 62 for a high pull loaded up to see what I can get it to.

My best ground runs on the 62 have been peaking in the mid to low 90's vertical on the roll out. That's at a 3.4-3.65 WL doing a 630.

For a work wing I just moved from a JVX 72 to a VK67(non-hybrid / not full rds) loaded at 2.7. I have been doing 630's and getting in the low 80's on the 10 or so turns I have done with it.

The DZ's I have been jumping at are all about 300ft MSL.

17-15-14 Petra 68 3.3.CSV

17-58-58 VK 67 2.7.CSV

19-32-27 Petra 62 3.65.CSV

Edited by DylanH
  • Like 1