1 1
jclalor

Yearly physical (By a freak)

So once a year at my work we have to complete a yearly physical. It’s about 5 minutes long and consist of a couple of questions and listening to the heart and lung sounds by the same PA for about 5 years. I found out when he uses his stephoscope on guys he places it on the outer clothing and on the girls he goes under their scrub top for direct skin contact. 

What would you do?

Googled "How to file a complaint against a doctor."

Got this about halfway down the first page:
https://www.ama-assn.org/about/publications-newsletters/frequently-asked-questions-ethics

Phree's suggestion about the medical board seems to be correct.

Just curious, how did you find this out?
How much evidence can you bring to the board? 

You said 'on the guys' and 'on girls'. How many of each?

I'm going to guess you talked to at least a few women. How do they react when the find out?
It might be better if one of them files the complaint.

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

The smartass in me says, "yeah, what would the guy's complaint be? That the women are getting a more accurate exam because of the direct skin contact, while the guys are getting ripped off with the cursory on the clothing check? Direct skin contact for all!"

3 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Googled "How to file a complaint against a doctor."

Got this about halfway down the first page:
https://www.ama-assn.org/about/publications-newsletters/frequently-asked-questions-ethics

Phree's suggestion about the medical board seems to be correct.

Just curious, how did you find this out?
How much evidence can you bring to the board? 

You said 'on the guys' and 'on girls'. How many of each?

I'm going to guess you talked to at least a few women. How do they react when the find out?

The “exam” is literally 3-4 minutes in a private office, and after completing mine I commented to a female Respiratory Therapist what a waste of time it was. I also said what’s the point trying to listen to breath sounds over clothes, she raised an eyebrow to that and the survey was on.

And he is actually not an MD but a PA, very very nice guy.

I wouldn't do anything.  If I was to do something I would ask the doctor himself about it.  I cannot see how direct skin contact with a stephoscope could ever be judged as improper.  I imagine that correct placement of a stephoscope on women is more difficult than men due to their breasts that would absorb the sound, so it does not surprise me that he requires more precision than with men.