Bud_T

Icarus 149 Reserve or Precision R-Max 148

It would not make the slightest difference in my mind. I would cut away and deploy any certificated reserve parachute in those circumstances. I would not get into the aircraft to begin with if I did not have that confidence. Now, suppose you tell us why you are asking?

If your asking which reserve would i prefer then thats a different question and has nothing to do with confidence in their ability to work correctly in a scenario you have specified.      Both will do that job.    

Precision customer service is very weak these days bordering on the “are they still in business ?”.    Icarus much more there developing new canopies and innovating.   Customer service are responsive.

The reason I was asking is because I am looking to buy one; they’re in my size range and the price is good for me and I narrowed down my choices to them.  I’d like to try ‘em out but it’s just not possible for me and wanted input from y’all.  I’m buying a reserve this week -finally.

• Like 1

(edited)
2 hours ago, Bud_T said:

Would you consider the R-Max as bulky -being that it’s strongly built?

Yes, somewhat. I would consider it to be harder to pack into a small space than the equivalent sized PDR.

Edited by gowlerk

I would take a PD reserve or Optimum over both.    I've packed both and both would do the job.   

I would say Precision has more experience of reserve parachutes over the years with many models and this being the latest incarnation.   That said try contacting them and ask them a question or look at their web site and see how responsive and up to date they are.     

Icarus is much more engaged in current designs and much more responsive.   They have the Icarus reserve and the Nano which uses a low bulk material.  I don't see as many of these as say a PD reserve/optimum but have packed all of them.   (Rmax, Icarus, Nano, PDR, Optimum).    The PD quality, reputation and sheer numbers in use are testaments that it is a solid product.      

1 hour ago, skytribe said:

Icarus is much more engaged in current designs and much more responsive.     

Hi tribe,

The canopy in question is made by Icarus World, not NZ Aerosports.  Just so someone does not mistake these two companies.  The last that I knew, NZ Aerosports does not make a reserve canopy.

http://icarusworld.net/

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

This is always fun.
NZ Aerosports are the "designers and makers of Icarus canopies" as they state, yet but don't make the "Icarus Reserve" or the "Icarus Nano" as they are called on the Icarus World website, names that don't include the World part.  The companies don't help in reducing the confusion. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pchapman said:

This is always fun.
NZ Aerosports are the "designers and makers of Icarus canopies" as they state, yet but don't make the "Icarus Reserve" or the "Icarus Nano" as they are called on the Icarus World website, names that don't include the World part.  The companies don't help in reducing the confusion. 

The refusal of either one of these companies to give up the name "Icarus" causes me just forget about their products and stay with PD.

36 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

The refusal of either one of these companies to give up the name "Icarus" causes me just forget about their products and stay with PD.

Its a shame they can't sort there squabbles out and avoid confusion - Icarus , Xfire/Crossfire, SFire. Safire.

Both NZA and Icarus World both make modern canopies of good quality - both of decent products/Customer service and I suspect that you are correct in that NZA does not manufacture the reserve.   The designs for a lot of these canopies was done by NZA and licensed however I'm not sure about the reserve's whether than was the case - but certainly wasnt manufactured or marketed by NZA so this may well have been an Icarus only product.

The whole Icarus story is too long to tell here - but even the original Icarus partnership/agreement involved Precision.  I believe the split between the NZA/Icarus was what prompted the same name confusions.

• Like 1

(edited)

I kinda wold like to get the Precision, Icarus, or Decelerator, but am hesitant only because i don’t know how full they pack in a V310 -AS COMPARED TO Similar sizes of the other brands -as both reserve and main will be packed to “full” UPT specifications.   PD and Nano aren’t an option for me, because they’re out of the price range I’m willing to pay -without accruing a debt.  At the same time, i’d like to learn as much as I can about the packing, flying, and flaring characteristics as I can from ya’ll with experience in these canopies (as I don’t have the ability to try them out before purchasing).  I appreciate ya’lls input.

Edited by Bud_T

1 minute ago, Bud_T said:

I kinda wold like to get the Precision, Icarus, and Decelerator, but am hesitant only because i don’t know how full they pack in a V310 -AS COMPARED TO Similar sizes of the other brands -as both reserve and main will be packed to “full” UPT specifications.   PD and Nano aren’t an option for me, because they’re out of the price range I’m willing to pay -without accruing a debt.  At the same time, i’d like to learn as much as I can about the packing, flying, and flaring characteristics as I can from ya’ll with experience in these canopies (as I don’t have the ability to try them out before purchasing).  I’m loving ya’lls input I appreciate ya’lls input).

Send an email to UPT. They will tell you. They do have a tendency to overestimate how much canopy fits into their containers. But never by so much that an experienced rigger can't cope. If UPT says it's full, it will be. But it will fit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Send an email to UPT. They will tell you. They do have a tendency to overestimate how much canopy fits into their containers. But never by so much that an experienced rigger can't cope. If UPT says it's full, it will be. But it will fit.

I know manufacturers are reluctant to answer questions regarding other manufacturers products but, I just send them an email and awaiting a response.  I’m guessing they’ll just refer me to each manufacturer, but I asked the question in a neutral manner -so hopefully they’ll be able to answer without the fear of judgement from the other manufacturers.

(edited)
12 minutes ago, Bud_T said:

I know manufacturers are reluctant to answer questions regarding other manufacturers products but, I just send them an email and awaiting a response.  I’m guessing they’ll just refer me to each manufacturer, but I asked the question in a neutral manner -so hopefully they’ll be able to answer without the fear of judgement from the other manufacturers.

UPT does not manufacture canopies. They will have no problem or conflict of interest answering your question. However, they probably have not tried every size canopy possible into every sized container that they make. But they have tried most combinations and they answer questions like this one every day.

That is, as long as you asked them if so and so canopy will fit. They will not give you an opinion on Icarus or R-max being better.

Another edit, I see now where you already asked them once about a Decelerator 150 and they could not answer. That would be an example of a canopy they have not tried. I have a UPT size chart on my HD that lists both The R-Max 148 and the Icarus 149 as full fitting in the V310. Along with PDR 143 and low bulk 160s. They seem to have replaced that chart with some Flash driven "container size finder" that doesn't work. So I'm attaching it now. Be aware that it may not be current.

V3 Rig_Sizing_Chart.pdf

Edited by gowlerk