Bobby Wilson

First time buying gear

(edited)

You’ll need an altimeter, probably buy that first.  When I finished my A license, is when i realized it was the instructor who lets you use his altimeter during AFF and not rented with rest of gear.  Luckily one of the instructors didn’t have a student that day and he let me use his extra -otherwise I would’ve been grounded.  ...And that is why I bought my altimeter first.

Edited by Bud_T

On 3/17/2019 at 7:03 PM, Bobby Wilson said:

I am still currently a student . Im on level 7 and was wondering if I should start looking at gear and if so what should I buy first? Maybe start with an altimeter or a helmet ?

goggles. I can heartily recommend clear, soft plastic type, such as Flexvision or Kroops flexfold. don't get goggles that restrict your peripheral vision.

Lots of good advice here for you. If you are referring more to a rig versus accessories there are several things that will affect the decision of what to buy. Consider things like your age, how many jumps you expect to make annually, the speed of you progression, the ground elevation where you jump and your own level of aggressiveness. Your instructors can lead you in the right direction to deciding what models to choose but it will take a fair bit of time and research to find what you need in used gear. Its the best way to go if you can find what you need. The cost of rental gear can get pretty high though and sometimes you have to go with new or at least some new pieces. If you decide to go new check out StockVectorRigs.com.