5 5
yoink

New Zealand responds to mass shooting

The first mass shooting in NZ in 22 years. Prime Minister vows 'our gun laws will change'...

What? No 'thoughts and prayers'?? Actual change promised in response to mass murders??? I'm shocked. SHOCKED that such a thing is even considered possible. My time in the US has taught me that the proper response to such events is to hope they stop happening. She's probably a communist. And a lesbian.

11 hours ago, yoink said:

The first mass shooting in NZ in 22 years. Prime Minister vows 'our gun laws will change'...

What? No 'thoughts and prayers'?? Actual change promised in response to mass murders??? I'm shocked. SHOCKED that such a thing is even considered possible. My time in the US has taught me that the proper response to such events is to hope they stop happening. She's probably a communist. And a lesbian.

sending-tots-and-pears-30458726.png

(edited)

Trump contacted our Prime Minister to express condolences and asked what he could do to help. Her response was to ask him to express peace and goodwill to Muslims around the world. I guess he swallowed hard at that point in time.

As far as gun laws go, NZ has about 250,000 licenced gun owners...strong hunting/farming community, and there are already quite tough restrictions on gun ownership, particularly AR type weapons, but I expect that semi auto assault rifles will be banned outright, perhaps with an amnesty and buy back scheme like the Aussies did. The people of NZ will demand nothing less. It will happen.

Having said that, this POS had a firearms licence, and bought his weapons legally. He then illegally modified them.

When apprehended, 16 minutes after he began his rampage, he was  on his way to a child care entre. The cops who nabbed him didn't fire a shot, because he threw his hands in the air.

50 dead, 50 injured. Over 4 million dollars raised for the victims and families so far.

Edited by obelixtim
added words

15 minutes ago, obelixtim said:

The cops who nabbed him didn't fire a shot, because he threw his hands in the air.

There was also a hero at the scene of the second attack who slowed him down and made him try to flee shortly before the cops got him.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/03/16/when-gunman-advanced-new-zealand-mosque-one-man-ran-at-him

20 hours ago, obelixtim said:

there are already quite tough restrictions on gun ownership

I hold a NZ FAL. It's pretty easy to get at the lower level (bolt action hunting rifles and shotguns etc). The one for AR style rifles is much more stringent.

It is however a very different culture to the US - if you were to start waving a gun around "in self defence" you'd have the book thrown at you very quickly. It's primarily for hunting/ targets.

4 hours ago, Stumpy said:

It is however a very different culture to the US

I'd agree that the US has a violent culture that needs to be addressed at a fundamental level, unfortunately tho, superficial "quick fixes" tend to get more of the attention.

if you were to start waving a gun around "in self defence" you'd have the book thrown at you very quickly.

Wow, that's pretty lax.  Over here in the US, simply showing a holstered pistol without even touching it could get you thrown in jail.  Waving a gun around?  That could get you killed very quickly, and justifiably so.

It's primarily for hunting/ targets.

Yeah, that's a big part of our culture too.  Unless you're at war, that's pretty much the primary reason a gun is fired no matter where you live.

6 hours ago, Coreece said:
11 hours ago, Stumpy said:

if you were to start waving a gun around "in self defence" you'd have the book thrown at you very quickly.

Wow, that's pretty lax.  Over here in the US, simply showing a holstered pistol without even touching it could get you thrown in jail.  Waving a gun around?  That could get you killed very quickly, and justifiably so.

You are missing the point (intentionally I suspect - it's that or stupidity and you get the benefit of the doubt)

The use of a gun "for self defence" in NZ is not a valid reason to apply for, or have, a license.

I'd agree that the US has a violent culture that needs to be addressed at a fundamental level, unfortunately tho, superficial "quick fixes" tend to get more of the attention.

Yep - the "good guy with a gun" myth needs to be put to sleep. Owning guns fundamentally makes you less safe.

1 hour ago, Stumpy said:
7 hours ago, Coreece said:
12 hours ago, Stumpy said:

You are missing the point (intentionally I suspect - it's that or stupidity and you get the benefit of the doubt)

Right, because lying by implication is the "smart" way to make your point.

1 hour ago, Stumpy said:

Yep - the "good guy with a gun" myth needs to be put to sleep.

Good guys with guns are not the fundamental cause of gun violence here in the US.

1 hour ago, Stumpy said:

Owning guns fundamentally makes you less safe.

Then why do you own one?

(edited)
31 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Good guys with guns are not the fundamental cause of gun violence here in the US.

The fundamental cause is the sheer number of guns in your country. "Good Guys With Guns" is an icon and a myth used to justify access to the tools of war to be used as toys.

Edited by gowlerk

8 minutes ago, gowlerk said:
40 minutes ago, Coreece said:

The fundamental cause is the sheer number of guns in your country.

I think we've been through this before.  We have more guns now than ever, yet crime has been on a downward trend for the last 25+ years.  

And no, I'm not saying that the extra guns are the cause for that decline.

4 hours ago, Coreece said:

True.

In fact, to take it further, good immigrants (illegal or otherwise) kill/rape exactly zero people in the US.  Good drivers don't kill anyone, even when they are drunk.  Good radical, extremist Muslims are not a threat, nor are good radicalized right wingers.

Now that that's settled . . .

Well, even a good driver isn't good once they are drunk. That's been proven more than once.

And I disagree that 'radical extremists' of any sort are 'good'. Pretty much a contradiction in terms.

But as far as Muslims in general (or Evangelicals or any other religion) or immigrants in general (illegal or legal), most are in the 'good' category. 

As are gun owners.

5 minutes ago, BillyVance said:

Any comments on the shitbag shooter being an Australian self-admitted eco-fascist atheist and Communist China government admirer who hated Trump's policies? It's all there in his manifesto.

Yes, he dislikes many Trump policies. And he loves what Trump represents for the white race.

1 minute ago, BillyVance said:

Then he is a fucking delusional idiot. Seems like many of these liberal mass shooters are. (shrugs)

So, you will deny that he is a right winger? Kick him off the team? I guess you are correct about him being delusional. But whether you can see it or not the white nationalists see Trump's embrace of Stephen Miller and Steve Bannon as catering to their beliefs. And they love the fact that people in power are simpatico.

2 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

So, you will deny that he is a right winger? Kick him off the team? I guess you are correct about him being delusional. But whether you can see it or not the white nationalists see Trump's embrace of Stephen Miller and Steve Bannon as catering to their beliefs. And they love the fact that people in power are simpatico.

He's not a right winger.