flyhi

Best Audible for a KISS Helmet

Looking for an audible altimeter to use with a KISS helmet. I have heard of at least one that is not loud enough to hear. I jump with ear plugs so that would definitely be an issue. Never used an externally mounted audible, so no experience to fall back on. Thanks

I have a Aon2 brilliant pebbles in mine. It works flawlessly for me. You need a 3D printed mount to fit it but the drawing is available on Aon2's website.

The only annoying part is that you need to remove it from the mount every time you want to set new alarms since it use a cable and an app on your phone to setup. For the price it can't be beat though.

• Like 1

The Optima II's work flawlessly with the KISS, and I believe that the helmet already comes with an adapter for it.

I have a Aon2 Pebbles as well, and it is also plenty loud. I found the lack of buttons to be a bit cumbersome as mentioned, and also disliked the fact that it went off during the climb, but maybe they have updated the firmware from that point.

My only gripe about the Optima's is the LCD screen is a little fragile. I had mine for years and years, 10+, and probably about 4 of those years were on my KISS. It finally got hit with a riser on a tandem jump and it broke the LCD screen. That would be one negative with it being externally mounted the way it is on the KISS, but the trade off is the ease of adjustment versus the headache of adjustment on the Pebbles.

• Like 2

I have the pebble and like others have said, it's great and you can't beat the price.   As far as having to plug a cable in to adjust the alarms, it really depends on what kind of jumps you do. If you are doing a lot of different jumps and think you would constantly be needing to adjust not the best.  You can set up to 20 different alarms with 9 different tones I think, so personally I just set ones at 6500, 5500, 3500, and 1000. That covers most break off altitudes I use. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, flyhi said:

Looking for an audible altimeter to use with a KISS helmet. I have heard of at least one that is not loud enough to hear. I jump with ear plugs so that would definitely be an issue. Never used an externally mounted audible, so no experience to fall back on. Thanks

Many, including myself, have found that an audible is easier to hear with earplugs.

The Optima works very well in a KISS.

I consider it to be internally mounted, but externally accessible.

• Like 2