zifkid773

How fit/strong do I need to be for skydiving?

Hi guys,

So, I did two tandem jumps last year and I'm planning to sign up for skydiving training.

I'm worried about how fit i need to be to skydive safely. I'm skinny and not very athletic, mostly a typical nerdy guy, can't do more than three push-ups.

I wouldn't want to realize I'm too weak to control the parachute once I'm in the air already.

So, any advice? Should i spend a few months at the gym or is it not a big deal?

If you can do three to-the-floor pushups, you're ahead of me (can't do them to the floor any more). There are plenty of typical nerdy guy types, and skinny is better for being able to fly relative with other people (the long-term goal of most skydiving disciplines). Go for it.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

Typical nerdy guy here.

If you can do a few push-ups you should be fine. Flaring your parachute feels like it's around 20 lbs of resistance. Your front riser maneuvers will feel like doing a chin-up as well so some basic athletic ability is needed. You'll be fine for learning how to skydive, but you should hit the gym anyway, working out is awesome. Good luck dude! Let us know how your AFF goes!

The gym will help, not so much in the sense of flying but more so for overall fitness, doing many jumps in a day, tunnel etc...

I was/am a bodybuilder and when i started my AFF i was 225lbs and it was TOUGH

One of my coaches said to me the first time they saw me : "Skydiving is about finesse, you cant muscle your way through"

Not very. I know lots of skydivers who take a fair amount of pride in their physical condition. 
But I also know many for whom the only real exercise they get is 12 oz bicep curls.

Look around at the fun jumpers. Some are in great shape. Some... 
Not so much. 
Some are rather old. 
Some have significant amounts of tape holding their shoulders in place. 

There's not a whole lot of physical strength required. Grip strength to hang on during setup in the door, pulling down on toggles and risers under canopy.

This question comes up every so often in the Ladies forum. 

Here is one example of suggestions for a woman who was having trouble flaring:
https://www.dropzone.com/forums/topic/264158-having-issues-with-flaring/