Cantoral

Sigma/Icarus/A2 mains

Sigma/Icarus/A2 mains

I did a search but I only found old topics regarding differences of performance between these mains.

I'm looking for opinions from instructors/DZOs that had real experience with the 3 models, Pros & Cons. Openings/flight/flare.

Thanks in advance 

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:18 AM, file said:

Jumped all of them. HOP330, or even better HOP300!! Sigma is also good, but other two can't even compare with it on any level. Personal opinion

It's been a while but my opinion is Hop plus turbulence equals death. 6ooo jumps on Icarus and they are bullet proof - bullet proof. Can't comment on the others cause I haven't jumped them.  

On 4/15/2019 at 1:51 PM, douwanto said:

sigma 340 is the most stable tandem canopy out there. 

I tend to agree with you.

I grab the Strong with a SET366 first because the majority of my tandem jumps have been on that exact setup, but I really like the Sigma 340 and that would always be my second choice.

I don't like the A2's, I think they fly lousy in turbulence and I don't like the way they are prone to go through very pronounced unintended flight cycles. Too flat for my liking, and I think that is what contributes to the flight characteristics that I don't like. 

• Like 1

I have about 1500 jumps experience on the Aerodyne 350sqft A2. Openings are nice and constistent, although sometimes they will rock back and forth after opening. This issue will resolve itself after a few seconds without any need for interaction, but will resolve faster when brakes are being released.

Other than mentioned by another jumper, I think they fly absolutely amazing in turbulent conditions. I have loaded them between 300lbs and 470lbs, landed them from downwind to extremly gusty 25kts wind in very, very turbulent conditions and never ever even had the slightest disturbance in canopy rigidity. The canopy does not need any form of acceleration to maintain its pressurization and long straight finals are perfectly fine. I've heard very different stories about tandem canopies from another manufacturer.

Longevity is amazing - the oldest canopy we currently have in use is 12+ years old with round about 4000 jumps on it. As we regularly reline our canopies (from my experiency this makes a huge difference), the flare is still very comparable to a brand new one. I will not hesitate to jump this canopy with any passenger in any jumpable conditions. 

Now on to the downsides... The flare is great, although it requires a lot more power than for example a Sigma 340. Also steering is quite power-consuming but nothing one couldn't get used to. Interestingly responsivity increases and steering-backpressure decreases with line-age. The flare-power significantly decreases, once the lines are noticeably out of trim. Opening characteristics stay pretty unaffected by this.

I, along with a few very experienced TIs, have just spent some time demoing an Icarus Spain TX2 (Steep) 330. And I feel it's worth a mention.

This model is called steep as the model before was trimmed very flat and was frankly pretty shit in turbulence. Generally we all disliked the previous model (which we had in 365ft) for that reason.

The new one with steeper trim (and a 330) was awesome. Still a bit bouncy in turbulence but remained rigid. Rate of descent was similar to a regular NZ aero Icarus. But the toggle pressure was close to a sport canopy with the turning toggles with a very responsive turn and dive, again closer to a sport canopy than any tandem canopy that I'd previously jumped (Twin, Icarus, A2, TX2).

And the flare power with the flare toggles, even coming straight in, was astounding, while still maintaining comparatively light toggle pressure.

Slow (very- up your pull height by at least 500ft), comfortable openings and an easy pack job.

If you get a chance to try one out, do. We were saddened to have to return it.