1 1
sheeks

Wouldn’t it make more sense if all sliders were less flat?

That's a good point, it might be highly dependent on packing inaccuracy whether it makes a difference. It's hard to imagine a scenario where the wind blows the slider downwards because of a late track. I suppose you would have to test subterminal openings and awkward body positions with awful pack jobs, that's where the REAL magic happens.

I had a brutally hard opening three years ago.  Knocked unconscious for a few seconds, broken left riser, out of sequence cutaway, but a safe reserve land.  I spent a lot of time researching hard openings and concluded it was likely bag strip.  I'm a big guy with a faster fall rate, jumping a sabre 2 230.  PD sent me a new sabre 2, and I took a little over a year off.  All of last year, my opening were brisk bordering hard.  Often I had a sore back for days.  It made me want to quit the sport.  I contacted PD to see if a larger slider was a decent idea, but I was already kicking around a pocket slider or a domed slider.  They said they could make me one, and had a brave test jumper lead up and put some jumps on it.  I've jumped it maybe 30 times so far, and it's been a huge improvement.  I've yet to have even a hardish opening.  My openings have always been longish, even when I was getting rocked a bit, maybe 900 feet consistently, and with the dome they are 1000 or slightly over.  I'm slowly getting over my trepidation of reaching for my pc every jump.  I think all sliders should have have some curve to them, and a solid dome mandatory for bigger jumpers.  I also think hard openings that cause neck and back damage are much more endemic than people think.  Perhaps some sort of slider attachment to the stops would work as well.  A snap system or magnetic connect seems promising.  I do wish this issue could be addressed by the manufacturers as opposed to it just being chalked up to poor packing and something we have to live with.  

19 hours ago, Elpnor said:

I had a brutally hard opening three years ago.  Knocked unconscious for a few seconds, broken left riser, out of sequence cutaway, but a safe reserve land.  I spent a lot of time researching hard openings and concluded it was likely bag strip.  I'm a big guy with a faster fall rate, jumping a sabre 2 230.  PD sent me a new sabre 2, and I took a little over a year off.  All of last year, my opening were brisk bordering hard.  Often I had a sore back for days.  It made me want to quit the sport.  I contacted PD to see if a larger slider was a decent idea, but I was already kicking around a pocket slider or a domed slider.  They said they could make me one, and had a brave test jumper lead up and put some jumps on it.  I've jumped it maybe 30 times so far, and it's been a huge improvement.  I've yet to have even a hardish opening.  My openings have always been longish, even when I was getting rocked a bit, maybe 900 feet consistently, and with the dome they are 1000 or slightly over.  I'm slowly getting over my trepidation of reaching for my pc every jump.  I think all sliders should have have some curve to them, and a solid dome mandatory for bigger jumpers.  I also think hard openings that cause neck and back damage are much more endemic than people think.  Perhaps some sort of slider attachment to the stops would work as well.  A snap system or magnetic connect seems promising.  I do wish this issue could be addressed by the manufacturers as opposed to it just being chalked up to poor packing and something we have to live with.  

Appreciate the perspective man.

This is a good example of some one off the center of the bell curve where a larger or domed or flag slider could be handy. A better question is are the openings with dome sliders more consistent? That's a different question to whether they can fix a problem under those conditions. Let's say you plotted opening shock for a hundred openings. You get a bell curve. What we want is to avoid the out liers at the top end of the graph, they hurt. Their are a lot of decisions you can make in design, including slider size, that can shift that curve right or left. Keeping in mind that you don't want it to open too slow as well. Are domed sliders better? The question would be if they can tighten that bell curve. Make it narrower. Avoid the out liers at ether end. No more hard openings, no snivils, smaller standard deviation. There is no question that we can shift that curve right and left. That's what we have been doing with these after market sliders for years. We just needed a higher drag slider on some canopies for some jumpers. They will tell every one about how great it is because it fixed they're problem. That is not to say that it's a fundamentally better slider design. A problem we had with the canopies for our system here is that the manufacturer tryed to build the slider too big. It's actually more complicated then that, the damn thing has 22 grommets but the point stands. I built things like this for people for years but what I was doing was shifting the curve. I have no reason to beleve that it actually reduced the spread. So I can't say that a domed slider is fundamentally better then a flat slider. I can just get a bit more drag out of it.

Lee