1 1
veazer

What counts as a freefall jump?

Question

For an A license, what specifically counts as a "freefall jump" to count towards the 25? I'm assuming any static line jumps are out, but what about hop and pops? If you jump at 5500 ft, how long do you have to wait or how low do you have to pull to have it count?

Edited by veazer

6 answers to this question

(edited)

Hop and pops count. You are still 'free' as you exit the aircraft, even if you initiate deployment as soon as you clear the aircraft.
(Static line, direct bagging, Instructor Assisted Deployment, and drag-offs wouldn't count. But some of that is pretty esoteric and not an issue for you to worry about.)

Edited by pchapman
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Divalent said:

Actually, the USPA A License requirement is for "25 jumps", not "25 free fall jumps".

The SIM defines a "jump" as a "skydive", which in turn is defined as "The descent of a person to the surface from an aircraft in flight when he or she uses or intends to use a parachute during all or part of that descent." 

So even if your parachute was deployed before you left the aircraft (only recommended if you are jumping from an hot air balloon), it would still count.  (And even if you bounce with all handles in place, it is still a jump (although you would never remember that))

Didn't the board vote to change this at a recent meeting?  There's a thread about it in the Instructor's forum.  That's probably why the OP is asking the question.

• Like 1

(edited)
14 hours ago, Divalent said:

Hmm, I didn't see that.  I pulled up the online version of the SIM to check things, so if they did change the requirements, they haven't yet put it into the SIM.

From the latest SIM currently on USPA's website. Clearly states 25 freefall skydives.

Note: USPA Headquarters will accept either
completed card signed by a USPA Instructor
without the official stamp. The registration fee
must be included.
1. Persons holding a USPA A license may
jump without supervision, pack their
own main parachute, engage in basic
group jumps, perform water jumps, and
must have—
a. completed 25 freefall skydives
b. completed all requirements listed on
the USPA A License Proficiency Card
c. completed five group freefall
skydives involving at least two
participants
d. received the signature and official
stamp on the USPA A License
Proficiency Card or USPA A License
Progression Card (ISP) which validates
the A license for a 60-day time limit
following the completion of the card
e. The completed and signed USPA A
License Proficiency Card or USPA A
License Progression Card must be
validated within 60-days of
completion by sending the card to
USPA Headquarters. Once validated,
USPA will issue a license number
that becomes a permanent record
of the member.
f. passed the USPA-developed written
and oral USPA A-license exams
conducted by a current USPA I, IE,
S&TA, or USPA Board member

Edited by bill6870

Actually, the USPA A License requirement is for "25 jumps", not "25 free fall jumps".

The SIM defines a "jump" as a "skydive", which in turn is defined as "The descent of a person to the surface from an aircraft in flight when he or she uses or intends to use a parachute during all or part of that descent." 

So even if your parachute was deployed before you left the aircraft (only recommended if you are jumping from an hot air balloon), it would still count.  (And even if you bounce with all handles in place, it is still a jump (although you would never remember that))

18 hours ago, linebckr83 said:

Didn't the board vote to change this at a recent meeting?  There's a thread about it in the Instructor's forum.  That's probably why the OP is asking the question.

Hmm, I didn't see that.  I pulled up the online version of the SIM to check things, so if they did change the requirements, they haven't yet put it into the SIM.

On 3/7/2019 at 10:56 PM, bill6870 said:

From the latest SIM currently on USPA's website. Clearly states 25 freefall skydives.

{snip} ...

Well, my Google foo must be weakening, as it apparently led me to the 2018 version.  So I stand corrected: it is "freefall jumps" now in the SIM (2019 version).